Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Hurricane Ike CO/IAH Ops Doom and Gloom Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hurricane Ike CO/IAH Ops Doom and Gloom Thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2008, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat
Red face

Originally Posted by PSUhorty
Naaaah, just somegood ol' ceviche will do fine for me. Last time I was there in March, I made it a point to find the best ceviche on the island. I think I had it twice/day.

Anyway, doesn't look like I'll be making it down there on Saturday. Still holding out hope though.
Mango's, about 2 blocks from the San Pedro airport has some great food. I don't eat ceviche due to a shellfish allergy but their tacos, mojitos, and salsa were fantastic. ^ ^
Old Sep 10, 2008, 7:53 am

You guys think I have a good chance of making it into Houston on the 3:45 flight from BWI before the show begins?
Old Sep 10, 2008, 7:56 am

Location: Southwest Desert, under a rock, watch out! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~<" You can get there, but it's gonna cost you!
Programs: Previously NonePass, now UA 1K (*Enhanced*)
Originally Posted by optimusflyimus
You guys think I have a good chance of making it into Houston on the 3:45 flight from BWI before the show begins?
Sure, if you leave today.
Old Sep 10, 2008, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA-2MM; GalacticXpress-Irridium
Originally Posted by skydiva44
we bought a very expensive generator last night...so i guarantee we won't get a drop of rain.....
:d ^
Old Sep 10, 2008, 8:23 am

Programs: Alas, the Gravy Train Hath Ended...just happy to be an OW Sapphire and a ST Ivory...whatever
Originally Posted by Anglo Large Clawed Otter
Run For Your Lives! The End is Nigh!

Comments, concern trolling, and general bloviating regarding the impending annihilation of IAH (and its citizenry) are welcome.
Where, originally this was kind of funny and representative of several threads on storms, it really isn't funny anymore with all of the death and destruction that has occurred in Cuba and Haiti. I hope that the predictions of strengthening are incorrect or some people could be in for a long weekend in South Texas...
Old Sep 10, 2008, 8:28 am

Programs: Alas, the Gravy Train Hath Ended...just happy to be an OW Sapphire and a ST Ivory...whatever
You and me both, buddy. I took advantage of that fare also and plan on spending a few days in the warmth of Ambergris Caye. Now, not sure what to do, grrrrr. What are you planning on doing?

I'm a UA 1k and pretty unfamililar w/CO's protocol during weather irrops like this. Will I be able to get a full refund if I choose not to go? Will I be able to book for a later date w/out a change fee for a later date? No status on CO.

Edit to add: Btw, I'd be on the same outbound as you... the 1:15 on Sat. I presume you're returning on Tuesday like me?
I went to Placencia in January and had a great time, but I don't really know where to go this time. There is a cool little village called Hopkins, South of Dandriga, that is cool but kind of hard to get to....so I might try Caye Caulker instead of Ambergris....a but less touristy (from what I hear).
Old Sep 10, 2008, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by theblakefish
I went to Placencia in January and had a great time, but I don't really know where to go this time. There is a cool little village called Hopkins, South of Dandriga, that is cool but kind of hard to get to....so I might try Caye Caulker instead of Ambergris....a but less touristy (from what I hear).
Caye Caulker is what I would call remote.

It's not even a scheduled stop on Tropic Air's routes, you have to ask for them to stop there when you check-in (you buy a ticket to San Pedro). We stopped there on the way to Ambergris and it was definitely quieter than our destination.

Ambergris Caye is touristy but in the summer you won't have too much traffic, the town of San Pedro is fairly quiet and the further south on the island that you go, the more quiet it becomes.
Old Sep 10, 2008, 8:42 am

Programs: UA dirt... and btw, THE innovator of the phrase 'gate lice'. Yeah, that's right.
Caulker is definitely more laid back than San Pedro. No doubt. I still may spend one of my nights on Caye Caulker. I've fell in love with San Pedro, so I'll be perfectly happy there, I'm sure.

FYI, Tropic Air does have scheduled flights to Caye Caulker from BZE. Hourly as a matter of fact.

As far as my original trip goes, I've rescheduled due to Ike. Will now be leaving one week from today and returning the following Sunday.
Old Sep 10, 2008, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

FYI, Tropic Air does have scheduled flights to Caye Caulker from BZE. Hourly as a matter of fact.
It must be new because when we were there (mid-July) the Tropic Air website would not book to Caye Caulker and we were told at check-in to inform the pilot that we wanted to go there.

Looking at the website now, the service seems to be scheduled but carries the same flight numbers as the San Pedro flights, so basically it's the same thing, a stop at Caye Caulker on the way to San Pedro.

Last edited by Hartmann; Sep 10, 2008 at 9:20 am
Old Sep 10, 2008, 8:46 am

Caulker is definitely more laid back than San Pedro. No doubt. I still may spend one of my nights on Caye Caulker. I've fell in love with San Pedro, so I'll be perfectly happy there, I'm sure.

As far as my original trip goes, I've rescheduled due to Ike. Will now be leaving one week from today and returning the following Sunday.
Did you get the same price? I might do the same,just to be sure....
Old Sep 10, 2008, 9:04 am

Programs: UA dirt... and btw, THE innovator of the phrase 'gate lice'. Yeah, that's right.
Did you get the same price? I might do the same,just to be sure....
Yes, I did get the same price. So long as departure was before the 20th and there were still availabilities w/in the fare bucket. I'd change now before fare bucket avails get eaten up.

Let me know what you do. I'm now departing on Wed the 17th and coming back on Sunday the 21st.
Old Sep 10, 2008, 9:07 am

Programs: Mucci Reperateur des Coeurs Brises
What does everybody think of a flight from SEA getting in at 13.30 on Thursday and continuing on to AMS later in the day? Think that is still possible? I just checked-in online and only then realized that Ike might be heading for IAH (haven't watched TV for a while, amazing what lack of cable news does to sense of impending doom...)

According to NOAA, the storm is predicted to still be in the middle of the Gulf at around 1AM Friday morning and will only be near the coast around 1AM Saturday. Think I can squeeze by? I have good travel insurance, maybe Ike will take that into consideration.

Last edited by SchmeckFlyer; Sep 10, 2008 at 9:41 am
Old Sep 10, 2008, 9:38 am

Programs: MR PL, Hyatt GP Diamond, HH Gold, UA Silver, WN A-LIst, National EE
The only good thing that I can see from that is that I would see more action. I'm tired of preparing for storms and not seeing sheit. Not wishing anything bad...but I would like to see some heavy rains and strong winds!
I assume based on the use of smileys that you are at least half-kidding about wanting to see more action?

All kidding and "doom and gloom" aside, a Cat 3/4 storm is nothing to sneeze at. I was with those that were telling the guy in the EWR/Hanna thread to come down off the ledge over the tropical storm that was heading their way, but there is a serious difference between a strong Cat 3 hurricane and a tropical storm.

No "doom and gloom" here....but, as they say prepare for the worst and hope for the best. This may end up being more "action" than you really want.
Old Sep 10, 2008, 10:19 am

Originally Posted by SchmeckFlyer
What does everybody think of a flight from SEA getting in at 13.30 on Thursday and continuing on to AMS later in the day? Think that is still possible? I just checked-in online and only then realized that Ike might be heading for IAH (haven't watched TV for a while, amazing what lack of cable news does to sense of impending doom...)

According to NOAA, the storm is predicted to still be in the middle of the Gulf at around 1AM Friday morning and will only be near the coast around 1AM Saturday. Think I can squeeze by? I have good travel insurance, maybe Ike will take that into consideration.

You should be fine I think Thrusday is early enough for air traffic not to be affected. You could change it to SEA-EWR-AMS though, if that will make you feel better Well, EWR is always a mess... but we it's been nice today and expecting nice weather tomorrow too.

On the other hand, I have a MR on Sat and it seems like it may not work thru IAH! It's a EWR-IAH-ABQ and turn the same day. I would change it to a non-stop flight, but they don't have it anymore, and I believe there are no CLE-ABQ flights.

I don't want to cancel, so I was thinking about two alternatives: (1) re-book on NW thru MSP - CO flight numbers, NW operated; will they change me to these? or (2) try to change to a EWR-PHX/LAS on a non-stop - closest non-stops to ABQ, but I think that's even more difficult since the city pair is different and I don't want to pay fare differences. What do you guys think?
Old Sep 10, 2008, 10:21 am

I say...prepare for the worst and hope for the best. Evidently others are feeling the same, the major warehouse store last night was packed and I saw the things that were being purchased. Hurricane survival items to make it through a week without A/C.....Be safe all you Texans!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.