Wiki Posts
Search

CO To Join Star Alliance [threads merged]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2008, 1:38 pm

Programs: One Pass Platinum
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by Lurker1999
Somehow the prospect of trading WC/CRC access for RCC access doesn't terribly excite me. How many threads are there in the UA forum complaining about the behavior of the RCC staff? How many threads are there complaining about the WC or CRC staff? Do the math..
Also -- the last time I went into a RCC with a friend, they charged for drinks and internet.

Originally Posted by Anglo Large Clawed Otter
A few seem to be focusing on how terrible an airline UA is. UA is by no means the entirety of *A (far from it). Also, it's not like we're leaving SQ in our wake by parting with NW.
Aww, UA ain't so bad. Just fly a couple of transcons on US or WN. The next time you fly UA, it'll feel like F on SQ.

That being said, I can't seem to get away from UA. I ditched them last year with a status match to CO and here they come again. Even worse, my company has now made UA their preferred carrier.

I'm with the other folks who were hoping for OW. AA, QF, and CX would be great to have around...

Programs: CO Gold
Originally Posted by sbm12
No word on Copa in any of the releases. I would assume they will come over as well since they use OnePass as their FF program, but that has yet to be explicitly stated that I have seen.

I sure hope so, I took 3 flights in CM last month and I was very pleased with everything, plus 15k miles from SJO-PTY (normally between 250-350 dollars) is a steal
Old Jun 19, 2008, 1:39 pm
yad

Programs: CO Plat
Originally Posted by bocastephen
I'm not so sure about that. Other *A members have different earning requirements for their own elite levels, and if we're not getting full reciprocal benefits on UA, I highly doubt we'd be 'charged' for those non-existent benefits by being forced to fly 100k EQM - especially if they don't drop the 50% earning limit.

I would be very unhappy about such a change, but since I already fly roughly 85K a year, I'd just need to add one more flight and maybe a trip to Asia on UA with someone's upgrade cert to get me to that threshold. I'd do it, provided there was some lucrative benefit waiting for me - like a batch of SWUs.
I also don't see why they'd raise the limit from 75k to 100k just because they're joining *A. Basically all of the plat benefits above and beyond gold are things that are specific to CO.

If they do raise to 100k, I'd think they'd have to provide SWUs. Otherwise why would anyone flying 100k+ credit to CO rather than UA?
CLG

Programs: United Platinum, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Circle
Originally Posted by CO 1E
Not as long as oil companies continue to buy out the BF cabins on IAH-AMS cabins.
I wouldn't exactly call CO's IAH-AMS flights very "frequent," either... Only twice daily on a mix of 767-200's and 767-400's. I have longed for the 777's seats and AVOD on that flight!

CLG

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K
regarding QF, EK, and VS as OnePass partners

Originally Posted by CO 1E
I think they will be going the way of the dodo.
I concur. SYD, MEL, DXB, and LHR are all well-served by UA.
Old Jun 19, 2008, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by giggy
Considering UAs RCCs are ratholes I expect the PCs to be packed all the time.
Especially because Presidents Clubs offer free booze and free wi-fi and domestic Red Carpet Clubs do not.
Old Jun 19, 2008, 1:40 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
Uncertainty is a Bad Thing!

As a DL frequent flyer, I will miss having CO in ST and the ability to earn MQM mileage when flying CO.

Uncertainty is not a good thing, and it would possibly be a benefit to CO and future bookings if they would guarantee the ability to earn credit on other ST carriers to some future date, say June 30, 2009 for example. That date could be extended as dictated by circumstances, but it would never change to an earlier date. That way, NW/DL/AF/KL/KE/SU/CZ etc. passengers would be able to book future travel on CO confident that will still be earning into their home program.
Old Jun 19, 2008, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A festering pit; a pustule of a fistula set athwart the miasmic swamps of the armpit of the Gulf of Mexico - a Godforsaken wart upon a dark crevasse of the World. (IAH)
Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by J.Edward
Interesting news - one wonders what will happen to VS, QF and EK awards.
They will be replaced with BD, NZ, and QR awards, respectively.

Programs: One Pass Platinum
Originally Posted by sbm12
No word on Copa in any of the releases. I would assume they will come over as well since they use OnePass as their FF program, but that has yet to be explicitly stated that I have seen.
I sure hope COPA comes over. Reward upgrades in South America on COPA have been a lot easier to come by than on CO or DL.

Originally Posted by rw2841
Also -- the last time I went into a RCC with a friend, they charged for drinks and internet.
While the domestic RCCs are generally sh*tholes (Couldn't think of any fitting euphemisms...), the international ones aren't half bad. HKG and EZE are two that come to mind. LHR isn't too bad, either. There's at least free booze in the international clubs, although not always free interweb.
Old Jun 19, 2008, 1:43 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Southwest A-List Preferred
Originally Posted by rw2841
Internet is free now - drinks are still $5. President Club's are far superior to RCC - the RCC are in SAD shape nationwide.
Old Jun 19, 2008, 1:43 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by brendog
Aww, UA ain't so bad. Just fly a couple of transcons on US or WN. The next time you fly UA, it'll feel like F on SQ.

That being said, I can't seem to get away from UA. I ditched them last year with a status match to CO and here they come again. Even worse, my company has now made UA their preferred carrier.

I'm with the other folks who were hoping for OW. AA, QF, and CX would be great to have around...
Those carriers, plus BA and JL, would have made great international partners. However, so do TG, SQ, LH, and NZ. YMMV.

I do think UA is the better choice (vs. AA) for the purposes of completing the route map, irrespective of the larger Alliance question.
Old Jun 19, 2008, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by SAT Lawyer
Especially because Presidents Clubs offer free booze and free wi-fi and Red Carpet Clubs domestically do not.
Just for the record. wi-fi IS now free in the RCC. Not booze however, unless flying INTL (2 freebies if you ask the desk very nicely for the chits)
Old Jun 19, 2008, 1:45 pm

Programs: US GP (used to be *G, now,what)
Originally Posted by FrequentHopper
Hurrah!

Goodbye US Airways, hello Continental -- my new Star Alliance carrier of choice.

With CO in Star, the remainder of US's east coast lunch will shortly be eaten.
Saved me some typing... gotta use some Dividend Miles now...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.