Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2008, 2:36 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, 1MM; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by vietbet
Is there a more miserable legacy airline than United
Yes, and they are called US Airways.
Old Jun 19, 2008, 2:38 pm

Programs: The local deli gives me 1 free sandwich after I buy 10
I like it (I think) - although I wonder what it really is!

United must be a little more excited about this deal than Continental. "As a valued Mileage Plus member" United lets me know personally by e-mail, continental nothing yet

So it would be cool if coinsider chimed in and 1) gave us the employee side and 2) a detailed FAQ

Last edited by Clincher; Jun 19, 2008 at 2:43 pm
Old Jun 19, 2008, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
Hmm, seems good to me. I don't know what to think about my BD gold membership. I guess I can go back down to one program when Diamond club merges into miles and less....
Old Jun 19, 2008, 2:39 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Originally Posted by COFan
I would really enjoy flying the F on LH for my ewr-fra runs... I wonder if we will be allowed to use OP miles for this or will it be like AF where we cannot get F with miles
You should check out the *A award chart at www.staralliance.com. There is no reason CO members would not be able to redeem an award for 3 class F.
Old Jun 19, 2008, 2:40 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by Anglo Large Clawed Otter
If/When this alliance shift goes through, I plan to start snagging Warsteiners at the LH Lounge in IAH, before heading onwards to the President's Club, so I can enjoy the view. Hopefully the new LH Lounge here (planned for this Fall), will be much nicer than the present LH Lounge (a total dump).
Agree. This LH lounge in IAH is one of the worst senator lounges. I haven't been to a one worse than the one in IAH yet.
Old Jun 19, 2008, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Anglo Large Clawed Otter
Yes, but that doesn't mean you can't redeem with them as a member of certain *A FFPs (BD & LH M&M immediately come to mind). I wonder if CO joining *A will mean a shift away from EK (a present, non-alliance partner) to QR. Though EK recently started IAH-DXB, QR is slated to start IAH-DOH in November.

EK is a partner of UA as well. Got UA (non-status) miles from SYD-AKL

I suspect for those in Cleveland this maybe bad news. ORD is pretty darn close. Up here in Edmonton perhaps CO will look at that IAH flight again given how much UAX service we are now getting to SFO, ORD and DEN.
Old Jun 19, 2008, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A festering pit; a pustule of a fistula set athwart the miasmic swamps of the armpit of the Gulf of Mexico - a Godforsaken wart upon a dark crevasse of the World. (IAH)
Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Sure but non alliance partners don't automatically apply to every FFP in the alliance. Each FFP has to negotiate it's partnerships.

There's a whole thread in the *A forum (link found in the sticky *A useful reference links) listing various airlines that partner with one or more *A FFPs - it even includes some airlines in competing alliances!
That's true, but given that QR partners with NH, OZ, UA, LH Group, BD & US, that's indicative of quite a strong *A affinity. Granted, EK also partners with UA and SA. It just seems that QR is slowly ambling towards becoming a *A member (or just playing the tease, whatever the case may be).

The CO/EK partnership originated primarily as a Codesharing agreement whereby CO codeshared on EK's LGW-DXB flights, and EK codeshared on CO's IAH-LGW flights. EK's commencement of nonstop IAH-DXB and CO's entry into LHR may have signalled the beginning of the end of this relationship. That may not be the case. I wouldn't be overly surprised if the relationship continued. However, I wouldn't be too surprised if the partnership were dropped (and possibly replaced with QR, if at all).
Old Jun 19, 2008, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Diamond, B6 Mosaic, AS MPV Gold, UA Gold MM, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite
Wow, I come in from running errands and this is wait awaits me on FlyerTalk. This is great news! While I've always enjoyed the alliance with NW for domestic travel, this is definitely a better option for international travel. I also think it's a better choice overall than going with AA and OneWorld, which would have had a ridiculous amount of overlap, especially on ex-IAH/DFW routes.

So at IAH I guess this means UA and DL will eventually swap out gates again in Termainal A, once the transaction is complete, codeshares start, and reciprocal lounge access is granted.
Old Jun 19, 2008, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Altaflyer
I suspect for those in Cleveland this maybe bad news. ORD is pretty darn close.
While CLE did see a significant reduction in service with recent CO cutbacks, I don't see them closing the hub all together (I am assuming that is what you were implying). Besides, DTW and CVG are close to CLE as well.
Old Jun 19, 2008, 2:45 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by NYC1K
HUH? F in LH intra-Europe is an Economy seat seperated by a curtain.
LH doesn't have F intra-Europe, Economy and Business only.
Old Jun 19, 2008, 2:45 pm

It's official: CO joining Star Alliance!

mods, please merge with sticky. thanks!

Last edited by JCinNYC; Jun 20, 2008 at 12:40 pm
Old Jun 19, 2008, 2:47 pm

It's official: CO joining Star Alliance

So apparently this is official, just got an email from United:

As a valued Mileage Plus member, we wanted you to be among the first to hear that Continental and United today announced plans to cooperate globally, linking our networks and services worldwide to deliver new benefits to you. In addition, Continental plans to join United in the Star Alliance®, the most comprehensive airline alliance in the world.

Once implemented, this new partnership, will easily enable you to take advantage of the resources of both airlines to enhance your overall travel experience, and receive more value from your Mileage Plus membership.

First and foremost, this partnership will include new frequent flier reciprocity that will enable you to earn miles when flying on either airline and redeem awards on both carriers. Travel on either carrier will count toward earning elite status. Similarly, members of either airline's airport lounge program will have access to both Continental's Presidents Club network and United's Red Carpet Club® lounges.

Second, together with Continental, we will be able to offer you a more comprehensive domestic route network and together with our Star Alliance partners, greater choice of service throughout the entire world.

Starting in the U.S., you are going to see United and Continental develop extensive code-sharing that will facilitate travel whenever your itinerary involves both carriers. We will be able to provide you with a coordinated process for reservations/ticketing, check-in, flight connections and baggage transfer.

Internationally, Continental and United will establish joint ventures that will allow us to cooperate with each other and with other Star Alliance airlines throughout the world. These joint ventures will enable us to provide you with highly competitive flight schedules, fares and service to more destinations than we do today.

In short, once regulatory approval is obtained, this new partnership between United and Continental will expand your choice of flights and destinations, and improve your ability to earn both miles and elite status in Mileage Plus. Together we will offer you more value whenever you fly. We expect to bring you the benefits of our cooperation starting some time in 2009, and until then, we will keep you informed about our progress.

We appreciate you and your business, and we look forward to seeing you on your next flight.

Sincerely,

Robert Sahadevan
Oh well... lets hope for the best, after the stand by policy change, hope CO doesn't start charging for upgrades, ala stickers or certificates!
Old Jun 19, 2008, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You're about 2.5 hours late.

http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=836316
Old Jun 19, 2008, 2:49 pm
szg
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH(OS) HON, IC RA
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
LH doesn't have F intra-Europe, Economy and Business only.
And there is no need for an LH F intra-European, because the maximum flight time is about 2 hours.
Old Jun 19, 2008, 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Standard *G lounge access benefit. It is up to each FFP to determine what tier/qualification requirements for *Silver and *Gold.

Note UA/US lounge access is restricted for USA domestic itineraries to only provide access on same day international itineraries, unless the *G status is with any other *A airline.
Yes, but just like CO determines that CO Silver and Gold will be ST Elite and Platinum will be ST Elite+, the press release makes it sound like only Platinum will be *G. It's a standard ST E+ benefit too: it just applies to mid-tier elites in non-US ST programs and only top-tier in the three US Skyteam airlines (well, up to 2009).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.