Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CO To Join Star Alliance [threads merged]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2008, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
As the alliance switch will probably take CO at least 18 months, there's an excellent chance United Airlines will not survive to see it, and that CO will become the primary *A carrier in the States.

I was rooting for a OneWorld / AA deal but this at least opens the Pacific up some for OP redemption.
Old Jun 19, 2008, 1:26 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, HH-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by bocastephen
How do I search for Q-UP fares on united.com? I tried doing a refundable F search, but the fare was pretty high.
Set your preferences to "expert" then when searching for flights, choose "First Lowest".

Make sure the flights have seats in the "A" bucket. This will be the cheapest FC flights. They change a lot, but some of the best I see are to/from ATL/IAH. But all the hubs have good and bad "A" fares. You'll see the FC fare kick up if the "A" bucket is "0". But always check back as most of these fares are changeable so if one day it's "0" the next it might be "1" or "2".
Hope this helps.
I'm happy about this announcement since CO is my back up airline to UA. If CO still had a hub in DEN I'd use them a LOT more. Now if CO just got Channel 9 with ATC communications that would be great.
Old Jun 19, 2008, 1:26 pm

Programs: big pimpin'
Originally Posted by sbm12
No word on Copa in any of the releases. I would assume they will come over as well since they use OnePass as their FF program, but that has yet to be explicitly stated that I have seen.
Copa: they are also SkyTeam Associate, but I would think they would tag along. The loss is a real negative for SkyMiles redemptions to South America

Last edited by arfgoblue; Jun 20, 2008 at 11:33 am
Old Jun 19, 2008, 1:27 pm

Programs: AA Executive PLatinum CO Platinum DL Gold Hyatt Diamond Hilton no more :)
Considering UAs RCCs are ratholes I expect the PCs to be packed all the time. Also for you folks used to COs quality service in Bizfirst you will be sourly disappointed if you fly on UA. Horrible service
Old Jun 19, 2008, 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by COmciUA
E+ for CO Elites???

I hope so!
do not count on it---most star elites do not get E plus seats.
Old Jun 19, 2008, 1:29 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by rkkwan
There may be some shuffling, but little difference from current situation with AF/KL.

For my IAH-HKG runs, CO/*A means my one-stop choices will expand quite a bit, adding ORD, SFO, YYZ, YVR.

Pretty sure we'll see IAH-FRA pretty soon, and will not see IAH-ICN for a long time. I also wonder if this changes CO's plan to the "South Pacific" as mentioned in DO III last year.
UA is currently codesharing with LH from IAH-FRA. Maybe CO will cut its AMS flight frequencies and start flying to FRA for Europe connection with LH. I do think CO will utilize NRT with other *A Asian partners (TG, NH, SQ, or OZ) for other Asian destinations and cut down GUM.
Old Jun 19, 2008, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MBS PremExec
I do not find this to be the case at all. If anything, as a MP member, it's MUCH easier to get seats (particularly in premium cabins) on LH to Europe than it is to get them on UA. Just did my honeymoon in September on LH in both directions in F. My previous trip to Europe was the same--couldn't get seats on UA, but LH had TONS of availability in F. And just before that, did a C ticket--1 direction on UA, home on LH.

Last month, one of my customers accompanied me to China...he used UA miles for a F ticket...The ONLY thing available was NH going over and TG coming home--he only flew UA on the domestic portions.
Search the UA forum for Star Net and you will see that UA has very recently removed every LH flight from its system for the entire Summer (if not the rest of the year) notwithstanding very good award availability showing via the ANA tool. For the moment, UA is blocking 100% of all LH seats. That may change as things stand now parking miles in CO could not be any worse than parking them in UA.
Old Jun 19, 2008, 1:31 pm

Programs: AA Platinum; US Gold; DL Silver
Why the assumption that it's going to take 18 months to join Star?

I'm sure DL cannot wait to get rid of them at EWR. I'm sure UA and LH cannot wait to get them into Star.
Old Jun 19, 2008, 1:31 pm

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Interesting news - one wonders what will happen to VS, QF and EK awards.
Old Jun 19, 2008, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kommissar Giga-Posting Direktor, PWP; Fasano Nouveau Aristocrat; CO Platinum; BD Gold; MR Gold
Originally Posted by kaboom36
UA is currently codesharing with LH from IAH-FRA. Maybe CO will cut its AMS flight frequencies and start flying to FRA for Europe connection with LH. I do think CO will utilize NRT with other *A Asian partners (TG, NH, SQ, or OZ) for other Asian destinations and cut down GUM.
Not as long as oil companies continue to buy out the BF cabins on IAH-AMS cabins.
Old Jun 19, 2008, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kommissar Giga-Posting Direktor, PWP; Fasano Nouveau Aristocrat; CO Platinum; BD Gold; MR Gold
Originally Posted by J.Edward
Interesting news - one wonders what will happen to VS, QF and EK awards.
I think they will be going the way of the dodo.
Old Jun 19, 2008, 1:35 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
Originally Posted by sbm12
No word on Copa in any of the releases. I would assume they will come over as well since they use OnePass as their FF program, but that has yet to be explicitly stated that I have seen.
A logical assumption, but there is nothing that would prevent COPA passengers from having their accounts switched to SkyMiles on a one to one basis.

As a DL platinum flying out of BOS, I will miss CO when it eventually leaves ST.

As for AS and HA, there is another good question. AS and HA have always had very close working relationships with a number of carriers, but they seem to have been closest to NW if I read the situation correctly.
Old Jun 19, 2008, 1:36 pm

I will have to review my options when all details are announced. In many ways not ideal for and the DL/NW merger might offer a more seamless alternative.

To poster above....CO and NW actually share exact pecking order in UG's ( of course not so on DL) so something different UA/CO would be a change.

As for IAD/IAH obvioulsy that will all be handled by UA.
Old Jun 19, 2008, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RobertS975
A logical assumption, but there is nothing that would prevent COPA passengers from having their accounts switched to SkyMiles on a one to one basis.

As a DL platinum flying out of BOS, I will miss CO when it eventually leaves ST.

As for AS and HA, there is another good question. AS and HA have always had very close working relationships with a number of carriers, but they seem to have been closest to NW if I read the situation correctly.
I think the AS alliance will be finished. AS and UA are primary competitors for North/South routes here on the West Coast and AS doesn't partner with UA or US.
Old Jun 19, 2008, 1:37 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K
answers, clarification, and an out-of-the-box idea

Originally Posted by FrequentHopper
Why the assumption that it's going to take 18 months to join Star?

I'm sure DL cannot wait to get rid of them at EWR. I'm sure UA and LH cannot wait to get them into Star.
The NW+DL deal isn't expected to actually go through until early 2009. From that date, CO can leave SkyTeam after nine months' delay. Thus, it will late 2009/early 2010 when CO joins Star.

As for the second point, CO is most definitely not leaving EWR. If anything, competition will become more fierce with CO in a different alliance.

Alos, since CO and AC will now be in the same alliance, perhaps some of the 752's can be formally reallocated from EWR to run a hub at Goose Bay.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.