Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CO To Join Star Alliance [threads merged]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2008, 12:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Well, let the speculation begin!

I am somewhat pleased, but guarded about this change. I am actually enjoying my flights on DL in purchased 'A' class, as they have far more availability (and lower prices) than CO 'R", and an easy method to upgrade my ticket (I know CO is working on that). I doubt I will have access to the same vehicle on UA - and even with the demise of TED, most of the UA flights in and out of Florida are still codeshares with that God-awful rat-hole of an airline, US, whom I will not fly, alliance member or not.

Of course, there is going to be a loooooooooooooong wait for anything to change. The ST agreement calls for a departure 9 months! after the DL/NW merger concludes, and given the DL/NW merger might not actually get done, there is still a lot up in the air.

What I *would* like to learn as soon as possible, is some framework around how CO and UA will handle program integration - namely potential changes to elite tier mileage requirements, upgrades, etc.

Also, since Alaska is not a ST partner, but is linked with CO on a one-to-one basis, what will happen to that relationship? The same question applies to Hawaiian as well.
Old Jun 19, 2008, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UALCO Holdings General Member
Mods can you merge this thread with the other
CO to join * A
Thanks
Old Jun 19, 2008, 12:40 pm

Yea!!!!

A Big YES

Lovely... A great way to use my 1/2 million Lufty miles :-)
Old Jun 19, 2008, 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
I like this deal and hope it will be implemented soon. I will definitely fly CO's EWR-PEK flight in BusinessFirst instead of routing through IAD/ORD on UA.
Don't expect it before late 2009 at the earliest. CO still has to get out of SkyTeam, and that will take 9 months from the culmination of the DL/NW merger to happen without contractual issues.

I'm reasonably happy with the change, though I also didn't mind ST all that much. I'm sure once the details come out and they reveal 50% earning on all the cheap UA fares I'll be just as annoyed as I am about the 50% earning on the DL/NW flights.

And I'd expect that Platinum will be 100K going forward. No way I make that without some change in job.
Old Jun 19, 2008, 12:42 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
The question has been raised about lounge access when traveling as a Plat/1K or seated in J, but what about being a PC member? I'm sure I can use either a PC or RCC as a paid member, regardless of who I'm flying, but what about other *A partner lounges? Would I need to be ticketed on SQ to use their lounge?
Old Jun 19, 2008, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A festering pit; a pustule of a fistula set athwart the miasmic swamps of the armpit of the Gulf of Mexico - a Godforsaken wart upon a dark crevasse of the World. (IAH)
Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Well, let the speculation begin!

I am somewhat pleased, but guarded about this change. I am actually enjoying my flights on DL in purchased 'A' class, as they have far more availability (and lower prices) than CO 'R", and an easy method to upgrade my ticket (I know CO is working on that). I doubt I will have access to the same vehicle on UA...
The UA Q-UP can be even more rewarding than the DL variety (as UA often has crazy routing rules). If you are willing to fly out of MIA, there's generally decent "A" bucket availability (ExPlus aircraft, generally) to ORD and IAD. From there, you can begin cris-crossing the country en route to wherever. It just depends on whether UA has Q-UP fares to destinations that are useful to you from MIA.
Old Jun 19, 2008, 12:45 pm

Programs: UA Priemier Gold
I'm a gold elite out of CLE who does mostly pleasure travel and likes to use miles for international upgrades.

Should I be happy, sad, or indifferent?
Old Jun 19, 2008, 12:45 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Southwest A-List Preferred
what good news!

Hoping that SWU's, 100k top-tier qualification, and the YUP (at time of purchase) fares stick around...
Old Jun 19, 2008, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A festering pit; a pustule of a fistula set athwart the miasmic swamps of the armpit of the Gulf of Mexico - a Godforsaken wart upon a dark crevasse of the World. (IAH)
Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by dergon darkhelm
I'm a gold elite out of CLE who does mostly pleasure travel and likes to use miles for international upgrades.

Should I be happy, sad, or indifferent?
Well, given that 1P on UA (50K EQM/yr) gets one *G Status, I would be cautiously optimistic. *G is way better than the SkyTeam Elite status you presently hold (especially for international itineraries).
Old Jun 19, 2008, 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12
...And I'd expect that Platinum will be 100K going forward. No way I make that without some change in job.
I'm not so sure about that. Other *A members have different earning requirements for their own elite levels, and if we're not getting full reciprocal benefits on UA, I highly doubt we'd be 'charged' for those non-existent benefits by being forced to fly 100k EQM - especially if they don't drop the 50% earning limit.

I would be very unhappy about such a change, but since I already fly roughly 85K a year, I'd just need to add one more flight and maybe a trip to Asia on UA with someone's upgrade cert to get me to that threshold. I'd do it, provided there was some lucrative benefit waiting for me - like a batch of SWUs.
Old Jun 19, 2008, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Seems like CO will be a good replacement for US. While not happy about CO leaving Skyteam, this is the best solution, since I'm also top tier in BD.

Programs: UA 1K, Mariott, Hertz Presidents Circle
E+ for CO Elites???

I hope so!
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UALCO Holdings General Member
Originally Posted by sbm12

And I'd expect that Platinum will be 100K going forward. No way I make that without some change in job.
Maybe CO can figure out a way to keep the 75 K for Plat.
50 K is the standard for * A gold. After that member airlines can have different top tiers.
Take SQ for example : The KF Elite Gold is the highest level you can attain on Krisflyer unless you fly Business or First Class on their Metal only , and spend enough on tickets to become a PPS member , which is their highest elite level.

Programs: UA Premier Silver, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver
I only hope CO doesn't raise the requirments to hit plat to 100,000 or 100 segments.
Old Jun 19, 2008, 12:49 pm

Programs: UA Priemier Gold
OOh ...they have air canada.

can send the gf to North Bay, ONT (the summer place) to visit using miles! ...that sounds nice!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.