FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - CO To Join Star Alliance [threads merged]
Old Jun 19, 2008, 12:39 pm
bocastephen
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Well, let the speculation begin!

I am somewhat pleased, but guarded about this change. I am actually enjoying my flights on DL in purchased 'A' class, as they have far more availability (and lower prices) than CO 'R", and an easy method to upgrade my ticket (I know CO is working on that). I doubt I will have access to the same vehicle on UA - and even with the demise of TED, most of the UA flights in and out of Florida are still codeshares with that God-awful rat-hole of an airline, US, whom I will not fly, alliance member or not.

Of course, there is going to be a loooooooooooooong wait for anything to change. The ST agreement calls for a departure 9 months! after the DL/NW merger concludes, and given the DL/NW merger might not actually get done, there is still a lot up in the air.

What I *would* like to learn as soon as possible, is some framework around how CO and UA will handle program integration - namely potential changes to elite tier mileage requirements, upgrades, etc.

Also, since Alaska is not a ST partner, but is linked with CO on a one-to-one basis, what will happen to that relationship? The same question applies to Hawaiian as well.