Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CO To Join Star Alliance [threads merged]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2008, 1:03 pm

Somehow the prospect of trading WC/CRC access for RCC access doesn't terribly excite me. How many threads are there in the UA forum complaining about the behavior of the RCC staff? How many threads are there complaining about the WC or CRC staff? Do the math..
Old Jun 19, 2008, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
As a WorldPerks elite who flies CO heavily, I'm sorry to see the divorce that was inevitable after the DL merger announcement come to fruition. I'm even more sorry that I extended my WorldClubs membership for three years in February given that its not likely to secure my entry into Presidents Clubs for much longer.

With that said, this announcement is a win for CO frequent flyers so long as CO doesn't substantially modify the OnePass program by bumping up elite thresholds or eliminating complimentary elite upgrades. Being able to redeem miles for premium cabin awards on the superior Star Alliance Asian partners is a huge bonanza for those who are sitting on a healthy sum of OnePass miles. And for those who are relegated to traveling in economy on long haul flights, [presumably] having access to Economy Plus on United will be a nice benefit.
Old Jun 19, 2008, 1:07 pm

Programs: AA PLAT; Hilton Gold; Hertz #1 Gold
Dissapointing... would have much preferred OneWorld.
Old Jun 19, 2008, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A festering pit; a pustule of a fistula set athwart the miasmic swamps of the armpit of the Gulf of Mexico - a Godforsaken wart upon a dark crevasse of the World. (IAH)
Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by rkkwan
Pretty sure we'll see IAH-FRA pretty soon, and will not see IAH-ICN for a long time.
Why not ICN? OZ has a hub there, and is a *A member. Perhaps either OZ or CO will begin IAH-ICN
Old Jun 19, 2008, 1:08 pm

Programs: CO Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AA ExPlat
This marriage should be interesting.

The last time I flew United and on a first class ticket, some obnoxious UGS member pushed me out of the way right as I was handing my board pass to the gate agent. The gate agent took my ticket, told the UGS member to please wait his turn, and allowed me to board. I hope those UGS members do not try that on CO metal. I can see the EWR gate agents chewing them alive if they try those shenanigans.
Old Jun 19, 2008, 1:10 pm

Programs: AA Platinum; US Gold; DL Silver
Hurrah!

Goodbye US Airways, hello Continental -- my new Star Alliance carrier of choice.

With CO in Star, the remainder of US's east coast lunch will shortly be eaten.
Old Jun 19, 2008, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
The split of CO from Skyteam was inevitable because DL saw CO as a threat. CO was kept CO out of the anit-trust exemption. From that point it was fait accompli.

If only I could add my UA lifetime mileage to my CO account...
Old Jun 19, 2008, 1:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Copa??

No word on Copa in any of the releases. I would assume they will come over as well since they use OnePass as their FF program, but that has yet to be explicitly stated that I have seen.
Old Jun 19, 2008, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A festering pit; a pustule of a fistula set athwart the miasmic swamps of the armpit of the Gulf of Mexico - a Godforsaken wart upon a dark crevasse of the World. (IAH)
Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold
A few seem to be focusing on how terrible an airline UA is. UA is by no means the entirety of *A (far from it). Also, it's not like we're leaving SQ in our wake by parting with NW.
Old Jun 19, 2008, 1:17 pm

Given UA's current policy on E+ access I'd expect that you'd need to be a UA elite to get free access. None of the other *A elites have access to E+ so why would CO elites unless it was explicitedly negotiated? And can you imagine the disaster that would be? UA has a hard enough time giving its own members access to their RCCs. Why would they work any harder to grant access to E+ to CO elites?
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kommissar Giga-Posting Direktor, PWP; Fasano Nouveau Aristocrat; CO Platinum; BD Gold; MR Gold
The only things I am looking forward to is being able to fly *A carriers to Asia and credit to OnePass, as well as the ability to redeem for international F (assuming that will be possible). I am not, however, looking forward to the possibility of a 100k top tier.

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by sbm12
Hmmm...50K for *G would be great,
Well, *G is only 35K on AC
Old Jun 19, 2008, 1:19 pm

Great news ^

I used to fly CO across the pond and in the states all the time, but we got divorced when they joined SkyTeam. It's time for some more romance
Old Jun 19, 2008, 1:21 pm

Programs: aa-plat, nw-gold, ua, sw, marriot-plat, hh-silver, hz-presidents circle, amtrak-who knows
Lame. I was reasonably happy with the status quo.. I was hoping for any change to be OneWorld :-\
Old Jun 19, 2008, 1:22 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by bocastephen
The question has been raised about lounge access when traveling as a Plat/1K or seated in J, but what about being a PC member? I'm sure I can use either a PC or RCC as a paid member, regardless of who I'm flying, but what about other *A partner lounges? Would I need to be ticketed on SQ to use their lounge?
Star Alliance Gold (that's 50k, typically) card holders and one guest, have access to any lounge around the world that is identified with a Star Alliance Gold lounge sign when departing on a Star Alliance flight, no matter which class of service they travel in. Just look for the Star Alliance Gold sign outside the lounge and present the ticket for your same-day Star Alliance flight, your boarding pass and your frequent flyer programme card featuring the Star Alliance Gold logo. Guests must enter the lounges with an eligible Star Alliance Gold member and must depart on a Star Alliance member airline, but may travel on a different flight.

As for domestic US lounge sharing between UA and US on international flights, United Airlines' Premier Executive and Premier Executive 1K customer and US Airways' Chairman Preferred and Gold Preferred customers have access to U.S. domestic United Red Carpet Club and US Airways Club locations only when they present a ticket or boarding pass for a same-day international flight.

Whether you are *gold or not but are a member of either the USAir club or the red carpet club flying domestic US, the rules are made by your 'home' airline.:

For USAIR club members: US Airways Club members who have purchased the United membership option ($120 extra) or the Star Alliance™ membership ($220 extra) option, and traveling on a same day flight operated by United Airlines, United Express or Ted, may visit United Red Carpet Club® locations with one guest.

For RCC members: United Red Carpet Club® and US Airways Club® members enjoy reciprocal lounge access. Simply present a same day ticket or boarding pass on US Airways, US Airways Shuttle, or US Airways Express and enjoy access, with up to one guest, at any of the 21 US Airways Club locations worldwide, including the former America West Clubs.

If you are a RCC member but not *G in an international city then it depends on the *A partner whether you get access or not. Here's the chart for UA RCC members (note again above that there is an additional charge of $220 for this access if you are a USAir club member).

Bottom line is that the only benefit I have ever seen in the US as a 1k RCC member in being in a place/position to use a USAir club is when I have flown USAir (at DCA and CLT, specifically)....Now in international cities, it is a WHOLE different story. In airports like LHR and NRT there are 3 or 4 lounges to choose from! (although apparently at LHR they are consolodating all the lounges into a single *A lounge in T-1).

Welcome to the *A (eventually), my CO friends!

Last edited by kokonutz; Jun 19, 2008 at 1:32 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.