Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Dear Continental, We Need to Talk About Mangoes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dear Continental, We Need to Talk About Mangoes

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2008, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Originally Posted by Anglo Large Clawed Otter
I'm not sure the Lychee should be so far down the "obscurity" list.
Plus, how can you have Lychee but not Longan?
Old May 6, 2008, 5:55 pm

Programs: Amtrak Select Plus, Marriott Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond
I'm glad I'm not the only one. I thought the mangos were a novel idea at first, but they are way too hard. Always make a bit of noise trying to cut mine.
Old May 6, 2008, 6:35 pm
Original Member

Programs: AAMM & PLT; UA Gold, DL Silver, Marriott LT Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz #1 Gold Club
Originally Posted by bocastephen
And eat it raw like that?
Yep...if you want to be a bit daring add Jalapeno pepper.
Old May 6, 2008, 6:48 pm

Programs: CO Plat, PC Lifex, SPG Gold
how about some louquat (nispero), that would be good too! I just had to add another 'weird' fruit that I didn't see on the list.
Old May 6, 2008, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OMNIArchist, OMNIArchy!, OMNIIDGAS
Originally Posted by bocastephen
I seem to be having such bad luck with the mangoes in CO's fruit bowls, so I want to take a moment to help educate CO about what parts of the mango are edible and which are to be discarded.

So, here is a short list:

1) skin - this should be discarded
2) soft, fleshy portion under the skin - this part can be sliced and served
3) hard, fibrous core - this should be discarded, even though you may be tempted to use an industrial bandsaw to cut it into serving portions

I almost broke a tray table trying to slice a piece of mango that I thought was edible until my sawing exposed the fibers of the core.

The post is partly in jest, but partly serious - someone could injure or break a tooth if they pick up a slice of the mango core and bite into it.
I haven't yet read the entire topic but there is another major major reason to remove the skin....it is a relative to poison ivy and some people break out in a mad rash with skin contact!

It is rather common here in south FL to hear of hundreds of people broken out from touching mango skins, not pretty.
Old May 6, 2008, 7:26 pm

Programs: One Pass Platinum
Originally Posted by kingalien
While we're at it, how about a fresh baked cookie with cold plate and/or lunch? If UA can serve a salad with a fresh baked cookie on a 90 minute flight, so should CO.
Do you actually eat what UA serves you?? Your stomach must be lined with acid grade stainless steel.
Old May 6, 2008, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA-2MM; GalacticXpress-Irridium
Originally Posted by rw2841
Do you actually eat what UA serves you?? Your stomach must be lined with acid grade stainless steel.
Sure do. The excess cheese in my stomach helps a lot .
Old May 6, 2008, 7:57 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Mangoes

As silly as this thread may be, I have to say on my 4 last CO breakfast flights, the mangoes weren't up to par either.... so much so that I was tempted to write about it, but I'm glad someone else did to spare me the flames
Old May 6, 2008, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A festering pit; a pustule of a fistula set athwart the miasmic swamps of the armpit of the Gulf of Mexico - a Godforsaken wart upon a dark crevasse of the World. (IAH)
Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Weatherboy
As silly as this thread may be, I have to say on my 4 last CO breakfast flights, the mangoes weren't up to par either.... so much so that I was tempted to write about it, but I'm glad someone else did to spare me the flames
Don't fret. There's always the opportunity to start a "Where did the Mangoes Go?" thread if CO ever stops stocking them due to customer complaints.
Old May 6, 2008, 8:24 pm

Programs: UA Prem Plat, CX MPC Silver, CI Dynasty Gold; HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG, IHG Ambassador
Originally Posted by patalan
how about some louquat (nispero), that would be good too! ...
There're loquat trees all over on the streets, colleges campus (Rice), and peole's backyards in Houston. It's delicious, peeled, of course, with ice cream - vanilla, preferably. It's going to be in season soon.

Sometimes I like to squeeze kumquat juice on fish instead of lime or lemon, even on red meat, too. Or, slice it and add hot water (and some sugar) and drink it like fruit tea.

Mangos are great. They are everywhere in Hawai'i, i.e. Maui. I've found some really delicious mangos in southern Taiwan, the "Golden-Yellow Mango". Just thinking about all the fruits mentioned above makes my mouth water.
Old May 6, 2008, 9:17 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by xyzzy
Yes -- and cheese!
Old May 7, 2008, 12:01 am

I love mango skin and usually eat them like an apple. A unique, complex flavor, much different than eating one peeled. I also like them when they're hard as well as soft; it's just a different taste experience, not necessarily bad.
Old May 7, 2008, 12:10 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by patalan
how about some louquat (nispero), that would be good too! I just had to add another 'weird' fruit that I didn't see on the list.
How could I have forgotten? And they grow like weeds in Texas too.... which brings to mind prickly pears. But if we can't trust 'em to prep a mango right, we definitely don't want them serving cactus fruit.
Old May 7, 2008, 1:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by pptp
I love mango skin and usually eat them like an apple. A unique, complex flavor, much different than eating one peeled. I also like them when they're hard as well as soft; it's just a different taste experience, not necessarily bad.
The mangoes (mangos) I speak of weren't hard or unripe - it was as if they cut the fibrous core and served portions of it in place of the actual flesh of the fruit itself.
Old May 7, 2008, 5:56 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by jamflyer
Yep...if you want to be a bit daring add Jalapeno pepper.
You took me down a memory lane I had forgotten - summers spent at our grandparents, mango trees in the backyard, climbing them with cousins, picking raw mangoes, stealing salt and red chilli powder - oh, those were the days!!!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.