Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Dear Continental, We Need to Talk About Mangoes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dear Continental, We Need to Talk About Mangoes

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2008, 6:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by bocastephen
The mangoes (mangos) I speak of weren't hard or unripe - it was as if they cut the fibrous core and served portions of it in place of the actual flesh of the fruit itself.
I've learned quite a bit about mangoes in this discussion, and now that you are a Hawaii resident, I expect to learn just as much about pineapples, although I do know what part of those to eat.

Mike
Old May 7, 2008, 6:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A menace to everything in the sky. Yes. Even birds.
Programs: Eh+ Rapid Rolleyes
I'd like to start a lobby for sliced tender cactus to be added to the new and "improved" snack plate. Goes great with fritos and pre-mixed margaritas.
Old May 7, 2008, 7:04 am

Originally Posted by CO 1E
Let us not forget Kumquat.
Kumquat, I laughed so hard that other people around me must have thought that I was going nuts.

As long as CO does not start adding slices of the Durian fruit to future fruit bowls, I am happy.

Dan
Old May 7, 2008, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A festering pit; a pustule of a fistula set athwart the miasmic swamps of the armpit of the Gulf of Mexico - a Godforsaken wart upon a dark crevasse of the World. (IAH)
Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold
This thread has inspired me to purchase and plant a loquat tree for mother's day. Thanks, bocastephen
Old May 7, 2008, 7:56 am
Original Member

Programs: AAMM & PLT; UA Gold, DL Silver, Marriott LT Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz #1 Gold Club
Originally Posted by pindi
You took me down a memory lane I had forgotten - summers spent at our grandparents, mango trees in the backyard, climbing them with cousins, picking raw mangoes, stealing salt and red chilli powder - oh, those were the days!!!!!

and where would this be?
Old May 7, 2008, 8:28 am

Programs: None Pass
Originally Posted by Anglo Large Clawed Otter
This thread has inspired me to purchase and plant a loquat tree for mother's day. Thanks, bocastephen
LOQUAT Fruit Facts (from the web)

"Where the climate is too cool or excessively warm and moist, the tree is grown as an ornamental but will not bear fruit."

I am hoping that mom doesn't also reside in , well, A festering pit; a pustule of a fistula set athwart the miasmic swamps of the armpit of the Gulf of Mexico - a Godforsaken wart upon a dark crevasse of the World. (IAH)
Old May 7, 2008, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A festering pit; a pustule of a fistula set athwart the miasmic swamps of the armpit of the Gulf of Mexico - a Godforsaken wart upon a dark crevasse of the World. (IAH)
Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by charger92
LOQUAT Fruit Facts (from the web)

"Where the climate is too cool or excessively warm and moist, the tree is grown as an ornamental but will not bear fruit."

I am hoping that mom doesn't also reside in , well, A festering pit; a pustule of a fistula set athwart the miasmic swamps of the armpit of the Gulf of Mexico - a Godforsaken wart upon a dark crevasse of the World. (IAH)
The loquat trees around my neighborhood are overloaded with fruit at the moment. I doubt it will be an issue. Even the wikipedia page for loquat mentions that they thrive in Houston.
Old May 7, 2008, 8:56 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K; CO Plat; SPG Plat (yay!); Hertz 5-Star
Originally Posted by perezoso
6. Granadilla
7. Passionfruit (Maracuya - the real thing, not a fake)
8. Guanabana
9. Rambutan
10. Mangosteen
11. Guava
12. Lulo
13. Pitaya
14. Mamoncillo
15. Uvilla
16. Lychee
17. Feijoa
18. Chirimoya
19. Curuba
20. Tomate de Arbol

Oh wait... this is an airline...
I had #13 for the first time at Granville Island in Vancouver. Absolutely delicious. Once cut open, it's quite obvious which part is edible & which are not. I wonder if any Asian-based ST airlines serve Pitaya?
Old May 7, 2008, 9:47 am

Programs: PWP Direktor of Homeland, CO Plat* 1MM,UA 1K,BD Gold,DL Gold,SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
I just wish that the fruit was frozen when it was served. That's probably far worse then biting into a pit.

Now all the exotic fruit does sound tempting at this moment while i'm locked up in an office with a few vending machines.
Old May 7, 2008, 12:29 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Forget fruit, I just want More Cowbell!!!
Old May 7, 2008, 2:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by mikeef
I've learned quite a bit about mangoes in this discussion, and now that you are a Hawaii resident, I expect to learn just as much about pineapples, although I do know what part of those to eat.

Mike
If you live on the west coast, my first advise is to skip the pineapples for sale in Hawaiian airports and just go to either Costco or a Ranch 99 Market location - they sell Maui Gold pineapples fresh from Hawai'i for a fraction of what the airport boxed model sells for.

I saw a great tool for coring and slicing a pineapple at the Dole Plantation shop, but I usually do it by hand this way:

1) slice off the top - I make small slices until I get to the soft fruit, rather than hack off a huge portion of the head and risk wasting some of it. If you are in a warm climate or have a sunroom, plant the head in a pot with a rich soil and in a no time (actually a lot of time), you will have you own Hawaiian pineapples

2) do the same with the bottom - thin slices until the hard white portions are cut away

3) If you have a large, sharp knife, cut down the sides to remove the skin and 'dimples'

4) slice the whole pineapple into rings, then slice the rings in half

5) cut out the core from each ring half

6) chill and eat
Old May 7, 2008, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA-2MM; GalacticXpress-Irridium
Originally Posted by bocastephen
....but I usually do it by hand this way....6) chill and eat
Ugh, so labor intensive. I much rather eat the pre-cut chunks...in Hawaii .
Old May 7, 2008, 3:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by kingalien
Ugh, so labor intensive. I much rather eat the pre-cut chunks...in Hawaii .
I won't argue with that. I probably overdosed on fresh pineapple last weekend between the pineapple juice dispenser and endless trays of fresh cut fruit in the Moana Surfrider Memories Lounge...if there is such a thing as overdosing on fresh pineapple.
Old May 7, 2008, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm just not big on pineapple. They're okay fresh, and I have tried them in Maui (still, IMO, only okay). I loved the Maui Blanc Pineapple Wine that we found in a grocery store there, though. Absolutely hate cooked pineapple. Can't stand pizzas with them.
Old May 7, 2008, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kommissar Giga-Posting Direktor, PWP; Fasano Nouveau Aristocrat; CO Platinum; BD Gold; MR Gold
I love fresh Hawaiian pineapple, as well as the pineapple sorbet served at places like the Dole Plantation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.