Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Dear Continental, We Need to Talk About Mangoes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2008, 2:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC

I seem to be having such bad luck with the mangoes in CO's fruit bowls, so I want to take a moment to help educate CO about what parts of the mango are edible and which are to be discarded.

So, here is a short list:

1) skin - this should be discarded
2) soft, fleshy portion under the skin - this part can be sliced and served
3) hard, fibrous core - this should be discarded, even though you may be tempted to use an industrial bandsaw to cut it into serving portions

I almost broke a tray table trying to slice a piece of mango that I thought was edible until my sawing exposed the fibers of the core.

The post is partly in jest, but partly serious - someone could injure or break a tooth if they pick up a slice of the mango core and bite into it.
Old May 6, 2008, 2:29 pm
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

If this was the biggest issue with your flight experience, I think you were quite fortunate.
Old May 6, 2008, 2:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by MileageAddict
If this was the biggest issue with your flight experience, I think you were quite fortunate.
Like I said, the post was partly in jest - relax
Old May 6, 2008, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kommissar Giga-Posting Direktor, PWP; Fasano Nouveau Aristocrat; CO Platinum; BD Gold; MR Gold
The mangos that CO serves taste like chemicals.
Old May 6, 2008, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A festering pit; a pustule of a fistula set athwart the miasmic swamps of the armpit of the Gulf of Mexico - a Godforsaken wart upon a dark crevasse of the World. (IAH)
Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold
It's about time we got us a Mango thread. Do other domestic carriers even bother putting fruit as "exotic" as mangoes on their fruit plates? From what I recall of the vaunted UA Fruit plate on my HNL flight, pickings were rather slim.

Suggestions for other semi-obscure fruits:
1. Star Fruit
2. Papaya
3. Pomegranate (messy, but good)
4. Kiwi
5. Durian
Old May 6, 2008, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kommissar Giga-Posting Direktor, PWP; Fasano Nouveau Aristocrat; CO Platinum; BD Gold; MR Gold
I cannot believe FCTSTY has not yet chimed in.
Old May 6, 2008, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Originally Posted by Anglo Large Clawed Otter
5. Durian
Didn't CO ground one of the 772 for a week to "de-odorize" the plane because someone ate durian on a flight?

[Nah, I just made that one up. ]
Old May 6, 2008, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Anglo Large Clawed Otter
It's about time we got us a Mango thread. Do other domestic carriers even bother putting fruit as "exotic" as mangoes on their fruit plates? From what I recall of the vaunted UA Fruit plate on my HNL flight, pickings were rather slim.

Suggestions for other semi-obscure fruits:
1. Star Fruit
2. Papaya
3. Pomegranate (messy, but good)
4. Kiwi
5. Durian
Let us not forget Kumquat.
Old May 6, 2008, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Let's not get too carried away now - CO needs to take care of a more simple fruit first. Pineapple. On the old fruit plate, we used to get 2-3 nice slices - now, we get 1 dried out white cube. Yuck.
Old May 6, 2008, 2:58 pm
Original Member

Programs: AAMM & PLT; UA Gold, DL Silver, Marriott LT Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz #1 Gold Club
Originally Posted by bocastephen
I seem to be having such bad luck with the mangoes in CO's fruit bowls, so I want to take a moment to help educate CO about what parts of the mango are edible and which are to be discarded.

So, here is a short list:

1) skin - this should be discarded
Say what? no, no, no....never discard the skin. Another tip, if your mango is not fully ripen, just add some salt and black pepper - very tastey.^
Old May 6, 2008, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by CO 1E
Let us not forget Kumquat.
These are good -- and can be eaten whole!
Old May 6, 2008, 3:10 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
The mangos that CO serves taste like chemicals.
I suspect CO is not slicing its own mangoes. They probably get packages of them pre-peeled and sliced like Costco sells. Costco's occasionally have a chemical taste too.
Old May 6, 2008, 3:13 pm
Suspended

I cannot believe FCTSTY has not yet chimed in.

if this forum was a movie, it would be called:

"FOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!!!!!!!:

The Fetish Continues".

(even jake jarmel would approve.)
Old May 6, 2008, 3:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jamflyer
Say what? no, no, no....never discard the skin. Another tip, if your mango is not fully ripen, just add some salt and black pepper - very tasty.^
And eat it raw like that?
Old May 6, 2008, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fly co to see the yanks

if this forum was a movie, it would be called:

"FOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!!!!!!!:

The Fetish Continues".

(even jake jarmel would approve.)
Whew! For a moment, I thought you had left Flyertalk.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.