Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Continental Pre/Post Merger Speculation Discussion Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Continental Pre/Post Merger Speculation Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2006, 5:04 am

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1.3MM Gold, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott L-T Plat, Hertz PC
Let em fail. Capitalism will prevail.

CO should wait for NW, DL or UA to truly fail.
Then buy a carcass for SONG.

UA, IMHO, will be back in bankruptcy before 2008. Cost structure and over-capacity can only be overcome if oil goes back to $40/bbl.

(I hope I'm wrong, but there's just too much capacity in the U.S. air system.)

TWA and PanAm were great "world-class" carriers too.

BTW:
This CO PLAT has been upgraded to F 21 of 25 times this year.
This message posted from the CLE PClub using the FREE WiFi internet access while sipping a coffee + Baileys (free Baileys, that is).

Last edited by Billiken; Mar 14, 2006 at 5:10 am
Old Mar 14, 2006, 6:51 am

Programs: Hhonors Gold, DL PM
Why would "holding back on resonable ticket prices for far in advance have anything to signal a merger. IAH-BOS in november is $256.
Old Mar 14, 2006, 7:51 am

Programs: CO GOLD
I have spoken to a couple of In Flight Service Managers, and the talk is buzzing like crazy right now. One of the gentlemen spoke of seeing a memo from United top brass that something is actually being ground out with Gordon back at the helm with United.....
Hate spreading rumors, I have been hearing this (not on here, But from CO employees) for about a year now, so there has to be a little truth to it somewhere.....Just wonder what the truth will be......
Old Mar 14, 2006, 8:50 am
In Memoriam

Programs: CO OnePass Plat and SPG - Plat, Marriott Plat (don't use -it's a comp), AmericaWest CP
Originally Posted by Reptile
Today I flew in first to Iah from the west coast. I had a long conversation on the flight with a senior attendant who was working first. She told me that something is in the works between CO and United. She told me that more would be know in the next few months.

Does anyone had anything to add to this?, or is it nothing but an airline rumor?

Here we go again...

-Vincent
Old Mar 14, 2006, 9:38 am

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, UA Million Miler
Originally Posted by AviationFreak
Why would "holding back on resonable ticket prices for far in advance have anything to signal a merger. IAH-BOS in november is $256.

Try buying a seat EWR-ZIH in late december, or EWR to any southern vacation destination outside of the US. There is a hold on all seats, either in Y or F to all mexican destinations in December. We go to mexico over xmas every year and are unable to buy tix on CO. We bought our tix on CO this time 2 years ago for the december trip, but it wont allow us to do it this year for some reason. We had to book Delta, which really sucks.

Last edited by BigPoppaCO; Mar 14, 2006 at 9:43 am
Old Mar 14, 2006, 9:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
The time is right...NWA should be out of business in no time flat, probably right after they start charging $15 to use the lav, and a pilot strike or work slowdown at DL should put them out of their misery soon enough.

I think UA and CO are a knockout combination...the merged carrier would be much smaller than UA is now, perhaps sized about the same as DL. My best guess is CO will leave Skyteam to join * Alliance and then stop codeshares and all marketing connections with NW and DL, then begin codeshares with UA. TED will go away, as Gordon has been burned once with an airline-within-an-airline.

I think the process will be slow and one step at a time. Alliance-->codeshares-->marketing tie-ins-->initial FFP integration-->3rd party holding company buyout of both carriers-->staffing/route/fleet adjustments-->full FFP integration-->one carrier, one name, one image

For the FFP...my guess is Platinum will become 100K with SWUs and unlimited domestic upgrades, while the next two tiers will lose free unlimited upgrades in favor of u/g certs (similar to AA's program).
Old Mar 14, 2006, 10:28 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by bocastephen
The-->staffing/route/fleet adjustments--
With Gordon at the helm UA will phase over to an all Boeing fleet - like CO did. The Airbus aircraft will eventually be phased out - and I could see the new UA/CO getting the 748 to replace the 744, as well as more 787, etc. If Boeing is offering it, Gordon will buy it with some special deal.

With DL gone, UA/CO will pick up some of the DL compatible aircraft - like the 764. AA will pick up NW Asia and DTW - and maybe some pieces of DL.

Two airlines left - new UA and AA.
Old Mar 14, 2006, 10:38 am

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1.3MM Gold, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott L-T Plat, Hertz PC
The time is right...NWA should be out of business in no time flat, probably right after they start charging $15 to use the lav,

LOL
Old Mar 14, 2006, 10:50 am
In Memoriam

Programs: CO OnePass Plat and SPG - Plat, Marriott Plat (don't use -it's a comp), AmericaWest CP
The time is right...NWA should be out of business in no time flat, probably right after they start charging $15 to use the lav...
Rumor is it's only $5.00 free to Platinums though.

-Vincent
Old Mar 14, 2006, 10:51 am

-->3rd party holding company buyout of both carriers--
BINGO!!!!!
Old Mar 14, 2006, 11:51 am

For the FFP...my guess is Platinum will become 100K with SWUs and unlimited domestic upgrades, while the next two tiers will lose free unlimited upgrades in favor of u/g certs (similar to AA's program).[/QUOTE]

This would be a real improvement since plat status doesn't get you much on international flights. When CO adds a few E+ seats we will really have it made.
Old Mar 14, 2006, 11:55 am

As one poster noted, there does not appear to be any CO availability to many/any Mexico, Central or S. American destinations in late December on either the CO website or third-party (Expedia) websites. Very strange.
Old Mar 14, 2006, 12:02 pm

Programs: WN Rapid Rewards, DL SkyMiles, UA MileagePlus, HiltonHonors
3rd party holding company buyout of both carriers

Kinda like Frank Lorenzo's Texas Air holding Eastern and Continental?
Old Mar 14, 2006, 12:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by senatorgirth
Kinda like Frank Lorenzo's Texas Air holding Eastern and Continental?
History doesn't have to repeat itself...and Gordon Bethune, love him or hate him, is no Frank Lorenzo. It would be about the only way to raise the required capital. A legacy airline bringing new stock to the open market now would be laughed at (Expressjet somehow got away with it awhile back and did OK), while a holding company would give interested investors an equity stake in both carriers from day 1.

I see the holding company raising capital strictly though institutions and private placements unless the tender offer included stock and cash. I don't think they can raise enough cash to buy out all the stock given the current price of CAL and UAL.

For those current stockholders of CO, if you were offered $15/sh (price @ time of post is 24.67) of CAL and 1/2 share of the new holding company for every share of CAL tendered, would you take that as a good deal? I am measuring response to my view that a blended CO/UA would be the strongest carrier in the US by far.
Old Mar 14, 2006, 12:32 pm

Programs: CO Gold; SPG Gold***; AvisFirst;
Originally Posted by socrates
But I heard from her 2nd baby's father's neighbor that it was CO buying UA and George Bush was gonna knock of the pope so he could take over sooner...but then her 3rd baby's father said it wasn't true so I dunno
I don't know... has Cheney invited the Pope hunting yet?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.