Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Continental Pre/Post Merger Speculation Discussion Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Continental Pre/Post Merger Speculation Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2006, 4:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
Originally Posted by Reptile
Today I flew in first to Iah from the west coast. I had a long conversation on the flight with a senior attendant who was working first. She told me that something is in the works between CO and United. She told me that more would be know in the next few months.
I keep hearing things like this from UA staff. I wonder if it is one of those rumours that keeps feeding itself.
Old Mar 14, 2006, 4:56 pm

Programs: United 1k ; SW A+ Preferred; Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
[QUOTE=senatorgirth]The same could be said of CO not too long ago. CO may (or may not, depending on the quarter) be returning a small operating profit these days, but it is still saddled with a heckuva lot of debt, and UA's route network, fleet size, etc. are significantly larger.

I think cova's right--though it has had big-time financial difficulties and the future is still far from certain, at the end of the day UA is simply in a different league than CO.[/
QUOTE]

Pan Am, TWA, Eastern - all had greater brand recognition and were "in a different league" than CO. So what?

UA is still so poorly run it's bleeding millions even though it doesn't have to "pay all it's bills" under Ch. 11. Hopefully, should there be a merger, any management input and talent will come from the CO ranks, not UA's also-ran management team.
Old Mar 14, 2006, 7:52 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Vulcan
And the new FF program will be MileagePass, or OnePlus, or MileageOne, or ...........
The original CO FF program was called Continental TravelBank. In 1987, when CO hooked up with EA the combination called their FF program - OnePass. Thus the term came from a combination of programs - one FF plan for multiple airlines.
Old Mar 14, 2006, 8:27 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: CO OnePass Plat and SPG - Plat, Marriott Plat (don't use -it's a comp), AmericaWest CP
Originally Posted by cova
The original CO FF program was called Continental TravelBank. In 1987, when CO hooked up with EA the combination called their FF program - OnePass. Thus the term came from a combination of programs - one FF plan for multiple airlines.
My dad has a OnePass card thats has Continental and Eastern on the back of it... Nice little blast from the past...

-Vincent

Last edited by vincom; Mar 14, 2006 at 10:44 pm
Old Mar 14, 2006, 9:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by Billiken
CO should wait for NW, DL or UA to truly fail.
Then buy a carcass for SONG.

UA, IMHO, will be back in bankruptcy before 2008. Cost structure and over-capacity can only be overcome if oil goes back to $40/bbl.

(I hope I'm wrong, but there's just too much capacity in the U.S. air system.)

TWA and PanAm were great "world-class" carriers too.

BTW:
This CO PLAT has been upgraded to F 21 of 25 times this year.
This message posted from the CLE PClub using the FREE WiFi internet access while sipping a coffee + Baileys (free Baileys, that is).

Actually, if anything Continental will fold before United, for the latter airline is looking pretty good right now.
Old Mar 14, 2006, 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by fly747first
Actually, if anything Continental will fold before United, for the latter airline is looking pretty good right now.

Posting while under the influence of cannabis is not recommended.... ....for obivious reasons.
Old Mar 14, 2006, 9:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: Continental Gold Elite, United Premier Executive

The latter airline looks rather grim, given the absence of any decent vision whatsoever from United management. Ted and PS won't save United, and neither will a costly (and 2nd-bankruptcy inducing!) merger with Continental.
Old Mar 15, 2006, 12:23 am

Originally Posted by vincom
I wonder - do you all really think the PAINS of merging senority lists and fleets (as there are majors differences between United and Continental's fleets - lots of airbus floating around UA) is worth the "benefit" of the combined entity?

-Vincent
Insignificant to the bigger picture
Old Mar 15, 2006, 7:40 am

Co *a?

Would CO leave SkyTeam and join *A?
Old Mar 15, 2006, 7:44 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
CO still has lots of debt from all those new airplanes, which are now starting to age. CO has pretty much exhausted financial maneuvers to raise cash - like stock offerings, make XJT public etc.

CO offers a good product and has developed a good reputation (after many years of hard work) and is recognized by many for its top notch service.

It is just that in the new world size and power will matter and CO is small by comparison to many others. With consolidation there will less competition and the prices will get higher and the flights will be full - likely the only way to run an airline in the future.
Old Mar 15, 2006, 8:27 am
In Memoriam

Programs: CO OnePass Plat and SPG - Plat, Marriott Plat (don't use -it's a comp), AmericaWest CP
Originally Posted by NYC_747
Would CO leave SkyTeam and join *A?
Currently - why would Star Alliance want Continental? Unless you're speaking - if CO and UA merge , in which case - lets face it we know Star Alliance is a better team.

-Vincent
Old Mar 15, 2006, 8:42 am

Programs: SPEBSQSA
Originally Posted by entropy
Continental's has a much better reputation these days.
Well, America West had a much better reputation that US Air (well, who didn't,) but what name survived... US Air. Personally, I think a totally new name would be best in a lot of situation... no baggage.
Old Mar 15, 2006, 10:14 am
In Memoriam

Originally Posted by AZ_MISMAN
Well, America West had a much better reputation that US Air (well, who didn't,) but what name survived... US Air. Personally, I think a totally new name would be best in a lot of situation... no baggage.

I don't think either were any better than each other, both were just as bad to most people, but US Airways was a more national name...

-Vincent
Old Mar 15, 2006, 10:25 am

Location: Homosassa, FL & Ringwood, NJ -UA-G(Lifetime); SPG-Plat (Lifetime)
I seem to remember Larry being pretty adamant at the DO that CO wanted to go it alone and simply "grow" the airline. I got the impression that he had very little desire to confront the fleet and seniority integration issues that a CO/UA merger/acquisition would generate.

Now, what Gordon might like to do is another issue. Tackling something like this with its attendant high visibility/publicity would be right down his ego alley
Old Mar 15, 2006, 10:34 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by AZ_MISMAN
Not necessarily true. With a new name, all kinds of "unanswered" questions arise.

In regards to US Airways/America West. I think the US Air name had more domestic recognition and International recognition that America West doesn’t since at one time USAir had a partnership with British Airways. IIRC, I think that partnership is why they changed their name from “US Air” to “US Airways”

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.