Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Continental Pre/Post Merger Speculation Discussion Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Continental Pre/Post Merger Speculation Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2006, 12:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP-1MM, SPG Gld, HH Silver, Skymiles, Marriott Silver, Hyatt GP Plat , CO Peon, Hertz 5 Star
I think if you saw a CO/UA merger soon after NWA goes out of business, AA will snap at the chance to grab their Asia assets as DL, the only other big legacy left won't have the money. I think there will be substantial government scrutiny of this as well. One other question, which name would they keep?
Old Mar 14, 2006, 1:33 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: CO OnePass Plat and SPG - Plat, Marriott Plat (don't use -it's a comp), AmericaWest CP
I wonder - do you all really think the PAINS of merging senority lists and fleets (as there are majors differences between United and Continental's fleets - lots of airbus floating around UA) is worth the "benefit" of the combined entity?

AA/TWA wasnt so bad, but TWA was much smaller and it was a flat out purchase. CO/EA - there is still some bitter blood still to this day. PA/NA - it helped add to thier demise. PA2/Carnival - eventually help to lead to thier demise. (and they were equals so to speak)

Seems to me unless its a larger airline buying a much smaller one it doesn't work out too well. Airline mergers in general always seem like a bad idea.

-Vincent
Old Mar 14, 2006, 1:45 pm

Programs: WN Rapid Rewards, DL SkyMiles, UA MileagePlus, HiltonHonors
Originally Posted by chsb
One other question, which name would they keep?
I'd think UA. UA would be the dominant partner, the UA name has deeper brand penetration, and CO's smaller with less signage, planes, etc. to change. Plus, as an added bonus, United's easier to say (one less syllable) and there's no pronunciation confusion (is it "Kan-TI-nen-tal" or "Kant-i-NENT-al")
Old Mar 14, 2006, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
Continental's has a much better reputation these days.
Old Mar 14, 2006, 2:19 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: CO OnePass Plat and SPG - Plat, Marriott Plat (don't use -it's a comp), AmericaWest CP
Originally Posted by senatorgirth
I'd think UA. UA would be the dominant partner, the UA name has deeper brand penetration, and CO's smaller with less signage, planes, etc. to change. Plus, as an added bonus, United's easier to say (one less syllable) and there's no pronunciation confusion (is it "Kan-TI-nen-tal" or "Kant-i-NENT-al")

You're smoking something funny - I bet you 5 Continental Currency that Continental has a better brand name accoriding to InterBrand.

-Vincent
Old Mar 14, 2006, 2:24 pm

Location: Homosassa, FL & Ringwood, NJ -UA-G(Lifetime); SPG-Plat (Lifetime)
Originally Posted by BigPoppaCO
Try buying a seat EWR-ZIH in late december, or EWR to any southern vacation destination outside of the US. There is a hold on all seats, either in Y or F to all mexican destinations in December. We go to mexico over xmas every year and are unable to buy tix on CO. We bought our tix on CO this time 2 years ago for the december trip, but it wont allow us to do it this year for some reason. We had to book Delta, which really sucks.
This has been discussed in at least 2 other threads. CO has a policy of NOT releasing seats over the holidays to warm weather destinations until at least the middle of May. I think its stupid, but that is how they play the game
Old Mar 14, 2006, 3:01 pm

Vulcan-Is Guayaquil, Ecuador considered a warm-weather, holiday destination?
Old Mar 14, 2006, 3:14 pm

Programs: United 1K,Marriott Platinum Premier,IHC Platinum Ambassador,Hilton Gold
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by fly747first
Thank you, NYC1K! I guess the CO kiddies want to think that a great airline like United, which recently got out of bankruptcy, is gonna want to merge with a pathetic, wanna-be "We offer unlimited upgrades to all elites, but of course they will never come through" airline like Continental that recently reported a pretty big loss. I guess the CO fans are getting tired of the Pecan Delights for dessert lol.
BUT..United is Not a great airline anymore..its simply an airline loosing money,now withOUT court protection. @:-)
Old Mar 14, 2006, 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by JetAway
Vulcan-Is Guayaquil, Ecuador considered a warm-weather, holiday destination?
I'm not sure, but the intent is to extract as many dollars as possible from the paying customers. I would expect a lot of people go home to Equador during the holidays and CO wants to maximize revenue. Expect to see only B or higher fares.

To see if a destination is affected, just try to buy tickets around December 20 or so. If there no seats for sale then its definite that there won't be any until May. I beleive the other thread also mentioned EZE was in this condition for the holidays.
Old Mar 14, 2006, 3:28 pm

If there were a merger between UA and CO, I think the United brand would continue on - it's got global recognition. I don't think there will be a merger and if CO is looking to expand, a great opportunity would be Alaska. That would give me heavy presence on the west coast.
Old Mar 14, 2006, 3:32 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
CO just does not have the world class stature that UA does. UA and AA are viewed as the world class USA airlines - they have LHR access, are primary in the two biggest alliances - Star and One World.

UA/AA have the stature of 3 class of service which is needed to be in the alliances with other international F class airlines. SkyTeam is third tier.
Old Mar 14, 2006, 4:22 pm

Programs: DL Silver Medallion, UA MP, JetBlue TrueBlue, ICH PC Rewards
Originally Posted by chsb
One other question, which name would they keep?
The merged entity has already settled for UNICON
Old Mar 14, 2006, 4:34 pm

Programs: WN Rapid Rewards, DL SkyMiles, UA MileagePlus, HiltonHonors
Originally Posted by CAL PHL FLYER
BUT..United is Not a great airline anymore..its simply an airline loosing money,now withOUT court protection. @:-)
The same could be said of CO not too long ago. CO may (or may not, depending on the quarter) be returning a small operating profit these days, but it is still saddled with a heckuva lot of debt, and UA's route network, fleet size, etc. are significantly larger.

I think cova's right--though it has had big-time financial difficulties and the future is still far from certain, at the end of the day UA is simply in a different league than CO.
Old Mar 14, 2006, 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by wask
The merged entity has already settled for UNICON
And the new FF program will be MileagePass, or OnePlus, or MileageOne, or ...........
Old Mar 14, 2006, 4:43 pm

Programs: DL Silver Medallion, UA MP, JetBlue TrueBlue, ICH PC Rewards
Originally Posted by Vulcan
And the new FF program will be MileagePass, or OnePlus, or MileageOne, or ...........
No... It will be called MileAss

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.