Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

SQ to Start IAH-SIN via DME (Moscow) with 773ER 4x Weekly Service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2007, 5:22 am
Original Poster

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)

SINGAPORE AIRLINES TO LAUNCH FLIGHT FROM HOUSTON TO MOSCOW, SINGAPORE
Lone Star State Will Be Carrier’s Sixth North American Gateway

LOS ANGELES, December 13, 2007 – Singapore Airlines has announced the launch of four, weekly nonstop flights from Houston to Moscow, with continuing service to Singapore, beginning March 20, 2008. Houston becomes the sixth gateway in the carrier’s North American network, which includes Los Angeles, San Francisco, Newark, New York (JFK) and Vancouver.

Singapore Airlines flight SQ 61 will depart from Terminal D at Houston’s George Bush Intercontinental Airport (IAH) at 11:55 p.m. each Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday and Sunday, arriving at Domodedovo International Airport (DME) in Moscow at 7:10 p.m. the next day.

After a brief layover, the flight continues to Singapore, departing Domodedovo International Airport at 8:25 p.m., and arrives at Changi International Airport at 11:30 a.m. the following day.

On the return leg, flights departing Singapore (Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday and Sunday at 09:45 a.m.) offer the convenience of same-day arrivals in Houston (10:20 p.m.).

The carrier will operate its newest Boeing 777-300 Extended Range aircraft on the route in a three-class configuration (8 First Class, 42 Business Class and 228 Economy Class seats).

Flight Connects Houston and Moscow, Singapore for First Time

The new Singapore Airlines flight will become the first-ever nonstop service connecting Houston and Moscow. It provides convenient new travel options for the oil, natural gas and corporate markets to Russia, as well as a convenient link to the carrier’s extensive network of flight connections throughout Asia for corporate and leisure travelers alike.

World’s Most Awarded Airline Raises the Bar on Luxury Flying in Texas

“We know that Texans appreciate luxury, service and quality, so it seems only fitting to launch our new Houston flights with the world’s largest First Class and Business Class product,” said Mr. W.K. Lim, regional vice president Americas for Singapore Airlines, referencing seats up to 35 inches wide on the carrier’s new Boeing 777 aircraft. “We’re very pleased to bring one of the world’s newest and most elegant airline experiences to the Houston market.”

Named “World’s Best International Route Airline” by the readers of Conde Nast Traveler magazine for 19 of the past 20 years, Singapore Airlines is world-renowned for innovation and attentive inflight service.

Singapore Airlines’ new First Class includes 35-inch wide seats converting to 180-degree, flat beds, complete with the airline’s famous turndown service featuring oversized down duvets, pillows and tailored sleep suits from Givenchy. Noise-cancelling headphones and a 23-inch digital monitor give access to more than 1,000 on-demand entertainment options.

The carrier’s new Business Class seat – the largest in aviation history – converts to a 180-degree, flat bed and features a spacious 1-2-1 Business Class configuration, providing direct aisle access from every seat.

The new flight will also feature Singapore Airlines’ recently launched Economy Class, offering wider seats, greater seat recline, and 10.6-inch digital video monitors at every seat for access to the award-winning KrisWorld on-demand entertainment system.

Press Release
Also there's this Houston Chronicle Article on the new service
...The carrier [SQ] said Houston becomes the sixth gateway in its North American network, joining Los Angeles, San Francisco, Newark, New York's JFK Airport and Vancouver, British Columbia.

Flight SQ 61 will depart from Terminal D at 11:55 p.m. each Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday and Sunday, arriving at Domodedovo International Airport in Moscow at 7:10 p.m. the next day, the carrier said.

After a layover of less than 1 1/2 hours, the flight continues to Singapore, departing at 8:25 p.m. and arriving at Changi International Airport at 11:30 a.m. the next day.

Total travel time should be about 22 1/2 hours.

Returning, flights depart Singapore on Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday and Sunday at 9:45 a.m. and arrive in Houston at 10:20 p.m. the same day.

Houston-based Continental Airlines, teaming with Northwest Airlines, offers service to Singapore through Tokyo. The fastest travel time for that service is more than 25 hours.
One wonders how (or if) CO will respond.

Last edited by J.Edward; Dec 13, 2007 at 5:28 am
Old Dec 13, 2007, 5:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by J.Edward
One wonders how (or if) CO will respond.
Slowly, if at all. The difference in travel time via NRT is 2.5 hours, and CO can't do much to change that even if they want to as they don't have any planes. The real news here, IMO is IAH-DME service, not the IAH-SIN service. CO may lose some business on that route (IAH-CDG/AMS-DME), but it is hard to know just how much traffic that really is. Overall, not a huge impact on CO, IMO.
Old Dec 13, 2007, 6:25 am

What a weird layover. Having to stopover in sub-zero Moscow when it's 85 degrees in both Houston & Singapore will be quite a shock!

I guess it's understood that SQ has the rights to sell tickets just for the IAH-Moscow segment alone.

Now, if only they'll offer some cheap introductory fares!!
Old Dec 13, 2007, 6:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat
IAH-DME is ^

Since I've been looking a options for Moscow service, this is fantastic.
Old Dec 13, 2007, 6:30 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
I guess this positions SQ when CO becomes part of *A (with United).
Old Dec 13, 2007, 6:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Wow! That's thinking outside the box. Will see if this is successful for them or not.

I like that SQ is going to NA airports that are NOT *A hubs. They're now flying to EWR and IAH but not ORD, IAD, PHL, DEN, PHX or YYZ. Interesting strategy.
Old Dec 13, 2007, 6:50 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Platinum, 2MM since 1981, MAR Lifetime Plat, IHG Plat Amb. Global Entry
I love SQ

It will be great just to see the planes in Houston. It will bring back great memories.

I have been flying them since their inception in the 70's and love every flight.

I wonder how the crews will do on their layovers? In SIN, if it gets below 85, they all wear jackets and sweaters. Moscow will be a challenge.
Old Dec 13, 2007, 7:41 am
Suspended

Programs: Continental Gold Elite, United Premier Executive
Originally Posted by Euroflyer
What a weird layover. Having to stopover in sub-zero Moscow when it's 85 degrees in both Houston & Singapore will be quite a shock!

I guess it's understood that SQ has the rights to sell tickets just for the IAH-Moscow segment alone.

Now, if only they'll offer some cheap introductory fares!!
I'm not surprised. I expect SQ to offer some competitive interline fares with CO to capture the Midwest/West Coast - Russia traffic, which is fairly sizeable.
Old Dec 13, 2007, 7:42 am
Suspended

Programs: Continental Gold Elite, United Premier Executive
Originally Posted by rkkwan
Wow! That's thinking outside the box. Will see if this is successful for them or not.

I like that SQ is going to NA airports that are NOT *A hubs. They're now flying to EWR and IAH but not ORD, IAD, PHL, DEN, PHX or YYZ. Interesting strategy.
With few exceptions, SQ could care less about the Star Alliance when it comes to its core business strategies.
Old Dec 13, 2007, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Two other comments:

1. Good for IAH. While we lost or are losing PK and CI, we gain EK and SQ. I'd consider that a trade up.

2. I hope this will wake up those on Smith St. CO hasn't done international expansion from IAH to Europe and Asia for ages, and has no immediate plans. Now, we have strong players EK, SQ and probably KE soon, flying right into our front yard, this is no time to procrastinate. They'll be losing important business contracts from around here if this goes on.
Old Dec 13, 2007, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A festering pit; a pustule of a fistula set athwart the miasmic swamps of the armpit of the Gulf of Mexico - a Godforsaken wart upon a dark crevasse of the World. (IAH)
Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold
I will so be redeeming my newfound pile of BD miles for this service. SQ J (or F, if there's availability...Yeah, right) to DME, nonstop. Yes, please!!!

Also, I think this flight will be regularly packed in J/F with oil traffic. SQ will likely make a killing on this route.
Old Dec 13, 2007, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98; PalmSource/Palm-D052; Blazer/4.5) 16;320x320)

Yeah, this may have me abandon ST and head to the *A. I have a few trips to London and Norway next year and this may sway me away from CO
Old Dec 13, 2007, 8:14 am
Original Poster

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Originally Posted by Hartmann
Yeah, this may have me abandon ST and head to the *A. I have a few trips to London and Norway next year and this may sway me away from CO
Be careful with that -- at least to OSL and LON.

If you want to use SQ you'll still be stuck doing a connection through DME (that is if SQ does not start LHR-IAH service...boy, I bet that notion has a few folks at Smith Street on edge) or on LH to FRA and then onwards.

As for non-stops CO (and BA) in the case of London have an edge as they're the only non-stop players in the market...for now at least.

If you're upfront beware of the fact that intra-Europe flying premium cabins equate to something much more close to Y than F.
Old Dec 13, 2007, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Diamond, B6 Mosaic, AS MPV Gold, UA Gold MM, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Hartmann
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98; PalmSource/Palm-D052; Blazer/4.5) 16;320x320)

Don't do it! Or at least, do both (which is what I'm doing). The problem with *A is when you travel domestically, you're stuck with UA and US. UA isn't so bad with status, as E+ is as good as domestic US economy gets in terms of comfort, but after a few flights, you'll appreciate those generally friendly crews and airport agents you find at CO, as well as CO's pretty clean aircraft. I hate to say it, but it's quite sad when you step onto a 15-20 year old US or UA 737, and it looks 10 times older and more worn out inside than a nearly 40 year old NW DC9 (and yes, I know that NW's 9's had an interior refurb in the late 1990s). But even CO's oldest 733s (the circa-1983-1984 models) feel new inside.
Old Dec 13, 2007, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for the tip! I will stay with ST on domestics but *A's international options are too good to pass up. LH, SQ, ANA, etc. are all fantastic airlines (IMO) and have a much better coach experience than what I'd find on CO.

IAH-FRA on LH's A340 is great even without personal screens.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.