Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

SQ to Start IAH-SIN via DME (Moscow) with 773ER 4x Weekly Service

SQ to Start IAH-SIN via DME (Moscow) with 773ER 4x Weekly Service

Old Dec 13, 2007, 2:56 pm

Programs: BAEC redundant Bronze, AAdvantage Lifetime PLT, CO, WN, B6
Originally Posted by cotch
Awesome!^ Looking forward to that.

And just to add to the fun today, apparently Lufthansa is buying about 10% of JetBlue. No news yet on whether they'll offer codeshares and LH miles on B6, but that has the potential to change a few more options.
Old Dec 13, 2007, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UALCO Holdings General Member
Any chance CO will partner with SQ to earn Onepass miles ?
I know its non Skyteam , but you can already earn DL Skymiles on SQ flights
and i think you can redeem too .
Old Dec 13, 2007, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Euroflyer
What a weird layover. Having to stopover in sub-zero Moscow when it's 85 degrees in both Houston & Singapore will be quite a shock!

I guess it's understood that SQ has the rights to sell tickets just for the IAH-Moscow segment alone.
USA-Russia aren't Open Skies partners; I'm not certain that SQ can sell IAH-DME by itself unless SQ has sought approval from the US and Russian authorities.
Old Dec 13, 2007, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kommissar Giga-Posting Direktor, PWP; Fasano Nouveau Aristocrat; CO Platinum; BD Gold; MR Gold
Originally Posted by rolov
Any chance CO will partner with SQ to earn Onepass miles ?
I know its non Skyteam , but you can already earn DL Skymiles on SQ flights
and i think you can redeem too .
In my opinion, the chances of CO and SQ allowing mutual earning and redemption opportunities in the near future is 0%.
Old Dec 13, 2007, 4:23 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by CO 1E
But, Russia requires a transit visa, correct? That makes a connection in DME less appealing.

"U.S. citizens transiting Russia en route to any other country are advised to have transit visas. It is theoretically possible to transit Russia without a visa but in several instances, travelers experienced delays and hardships because they did not have a transit visa. Similarly, Russia-bound U.S. citizens attempting to transit Belarus or the Central Asian republics without visas have encountered difficulties. U.S. citizens are strongly advised to check the visa requirements for all countries on their itinerary."
Russia does not require a transit visa. According to Timatic (which is what most airlines use as a reference when there's a question at check-in regarding travel documents), for travel from US by US citizens to Singapore connecting through Russia:

Visa not required if continuing within 24 hours and not leaving the airside (international) transit area. Passenger must hold onward ticket and all documents required for next destination.
Although the source quoted by CO 1E was not attributed, the warning sounds like it came from the US State Department. I certainly would not discount the fact that at some point, someone has had problems with this, but I doubt that making an online connection on the same carrier with the same flight number (and perhaps not even getting off the aircraft, considering that the connect time at DME is 1hr15min) is going to be a problem. I'm sure this has all been worked out between SQ and the DME officials.
Old Dec 13, 2007, 5:37 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by FWAAA
USA-Russia aren't Open Skies partners; I'm not certain that SQ can sell IAH-DME by itself unless SQ has sought approval from the US and Russian authorities.
Surely they can and will sell IAH-DME.

If not, wouldn't they have made the stop elsewhere, such as Stockholm? Or flown over the Pacific for IAH, stopping at YVR or something like that?
Old Dec 13, 2007, 5:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by perezoso
Surely they can and will sell IAH-DME.

If not, wouldn't they have made the stop elsewhere, such as Stockholm? Or flown over the Pacific for IAH?
That's my thought as well. Also, regarding a visa, in the past the Russian authorities have been known to change the rules on a whim. I think things are more stable with regard to this in Russia of late.
Old Dec 13, 2007, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A festering pit; a pustule of a fistula set athwart the miasmic swamps of the armpit of the Gulf of Mexico - a Godforsaken wart upon a dark crevasse of the World. (IAH)
Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold
There would be absolutely no reason for SQ to run this route if they couldn't sell IAH-DME. They would have bribed whomever necessary and routed IAH-LOS-SIN instead (or IAH-OSL-SIN). This is all about packing the front cabin of a 77W to the gills year-round, and charging a king's ransom for the nonstop. I doubt there will be much, if any discounting on this route in premium cabins, once it's established.
Old Dec 14, 2007, 4:59 am

Programs: PWP Direktor of Homeland, CO Plat* 1MM,UA 1K,BD Gold,DL Gold,SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by perezoso
This should be a real kick in the pants for CO. They can't get those 787s fast enough. Looks like the competition is cherrypicking choice routes that CO can't serve until it has more long haul aircraft.

And it makes SkyTeam's Southeast Asia weakness all the more apparent...
I'm still amazed at how under utilized Guam is. CO has an amazing number of destinations that they serve from it, most of which would require a connection to get to from the mainland no matter who you fly. A few 772LRs would be great to connect EWR/IAH/LAX to GUM and as a connecting point to Asia.

Plus it's an edge over Delta which is trying to mimic COs strategy and will likely lack any sort of Asian presence.
Old Dec 14, 2007, 5:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by fozz
I'm still amazed at how under utilized Guam is. CO has an amazing number of destinations that they serve from it, most of which would require a connection to get to from the mainland no matter who you fly. A few 772LRs would be great to connect EWR/IAH/LAX to GUM and as a connecting point to Asia.
Too far out of the way on many routes to connect from the mainland US to Asia via GUM. It adds hours of travel time.
For EWR-SIN stopping in NRT is 500 extra miles and GUM is 1300 extra.
For IAH-SIN stopping in NRT is a wash. GUM adds 400 miles and DME actually adds more (1200). Someone out there sees premium fares on the IAH-DME or DME-SIN sectors, and they're probably right.
For TPE, NRT is negligble and GUM is 1200 miles extra.

You get the idea.

Last edited by sbm12; Dec 14, 2007 at 5:48 am
Old Dec 14, 2007, 5:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
SQ is about 2.5 hours faster than CO/NW from IAH->SIN, and about 6 hours slower for SIN->IAH.

This route has really little to do with IAH-SIN, but it's mostly about Houston - Moscow.
Old Dec 14, 2007, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Anglo Large Clawed Otter
There would be absolutely no reason for SQ to run this route if they couldn't sell IAH-DME. They would have bribed whomever necessary and routed IAH-LOS-SIN instead (or IAH-OSL-SIN). This is all about packing the front cabin of a 77W to the gills year-round, and charging a king's ransom for the nonstop. I doubt there will be much, if any discounting on this route in premium cabins, once it's established.
I agree completely. Yet, unlike most new international route announcements, nothing is mentioned about "pending government approval," or the like. I looked at the DOT docket site and couldn't find authorization for SQ to sell combination service between USA and Russia. It's probably there, but its application for such authority would generally be newsworthy.
Old Dec 14, 2007, 2:58 pm

Programs: LH, AB, SPG, CC, Sixt, EC
Originally Posted by cova
I guess this positions SQ when CO becomes part of *A (with United).
Not going too happen!! Jet Blue is the new star in Star Alliance! Lufthansa bought 19% of their shares today!

by the way: SQ serving IAH is great news for Houston and bad news for Continental. Any other conclusion doesn't make any sense.
Old Dec 20, 2007, 8:19 am

Programs: UA 1K 3MM
IAH is now in SQ's website schedules & pricing. SGN-IAH-SGN $12,061 C class. I guess that I won't be doing that for a while..
Old Dec 20, 2007, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by joslire
IAH is now in SQ's website schedules & pricing. SGN-IAH-SGN $12,061 C class. I guess that I won't be doing that for a while..
I can't get IAH to be a valid airport. It makes the box red and says it's invalid (travel in July).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.