Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

SQ to Start IAH-SIN via DME (Moscow) with 773ER 4x Weekly Service

SQ to Start IAH-SIN via DME (Moscow) with 773ER 4x Weekly Service

Old Dec 13, 2007, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A festering pit; a pustule of a fistula set athwart the miasmic swamps of the armpit of the Gulf of Mexico - a Godforsaken wart upon a dark crevasse of the World. (IAH)
Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Savage25
Bad luck. There's no standard O/I availability in the new premium classes on the 77W...for a while at least. Even KrisFlyer members have to redeem double the miles for unrestricted awards.

Economy is fine though....with 19" wide seats and an exit row, I survived my SIN-FRA flight.
Argh! Oh well, at least I can just purchase cheap-O SQ F ex-TPE on my future Asia-U.S. runs and rack up 2.5x earnings on BD.
Old Dec 13, 2007, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A festering pit; a pustule of a fistula set athwart the miasmic swamps of the armpit of the Gulf of Mexico - a Godforsaken wart upon a dark crevasse of the World. (IAH)
Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by ssullivan
Yeah I'm just torn between BD and UA. BD is great for fast mileage accrual; status on UA is great for flying in domestic E+. But that 1,000 miles for Hampton stays is very enticing. I could see opening a BD account that ends up being like my VS account, which has a nice balance accrued almost exclusively through Hilton stays (1,000 miles there at Hiltons, HGIs, Embassy Suites, and DoubleTrees).
Make hay whilst the sun shines. Rumors afoot that LH plans to buy BD and have it integrated into LH (but retain BD brand) by 2009. I'm presently searching for other Asian/Euro FF programs that offer similar Q-UP earning opportunities and other perks for my Back-up FFP needs, in case BD gets bought out. My main priorities are high-earnings on Q-UPs (LH even offers 300%, but no one seems to offer the up to 600% possible on BD), ability to redeem for international F, and reasonably priced one-way awards (not LH).
Old Dec 13, 2007, 10:07 am

Programs: UA 1K 3MM
I'm really intrigued. I live in Saigon & Houston. This COULD be my dream come true. I'm calling the SGN SQ office in the morning to get prices for C SGN-IAH-SGN. I fear those 773 C seats are going to be very expensive & out of my budget
Old Dec 13, 2007, 10:15 am

IAH is like the next ATL u can do alot of new and non ordinary destinations and it will work. Hopefully Continental will start adding some new and different things out of IAH once the 787 comes and maybe if they pick up some 777 or 777LR next year
Old Dec 13, 2007, 10:15 am

Programs: TK/QR Gold, Marriott/Accor Plat, IC Dia Amb, Avis/Hertz PC
Originally Posted by joslire
I'm really intrigued. I live in Saigon & Houston. This COULD be my dream come true. I'm calling the SGN SQ office in the morning to get prices for C SGN-IAH-SGN. I fear those 773 C seats are going to be very expensive & out of my budget
EF is showing ex-SGN:
C Round-Trip 3412.00 (USD)
F Round-Trip 5602.00 (USD)
Old Dec 13, 2007, 10:38 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Plat, VS Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by sbm12
The real news here, IMO is IAH-DME service, not the IAH-SIN service. CO may lose some business on that route (IAH-CDG/AMS-DME), but it is hard to know just how much traffic that really is. Overall, not a huge impact on CO, IMO.
IAH-AMS-MOW is not viable- requires an overnight in amsterdam. Most people I know who fly that route do IAH-ATL-SVO on DL.
Old Dec 13, 2007, 10:54 am

Programs: UA MM
This should be a real kick in the pants for CO. They can't get those 787s fast enough. Looks like the competition is cherrypicking choice routes that CO can't serve until it has more long haul aircraft.

And it makes SkyTeam's Southeast Asia weakness all the more apparent...
Old Dec 13, 2007, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kommissar Giga-Posting Direktor, PWP; Fasano Nouveau Aristocrat; CO Platinum; BD Gold; MR Gold
Originally Posted by Anglo Large Clawed Otter
I think BD's service (with real regional J seating, not Euro-J) is LHR-DME. Also, I think he should be able to connect on to OSL via SK out of DME (though I'm not 100% on either of those). Considering that OSL requires a connection out of IAH on CO, it might be worth it. Also, routing IAH-DME-LHR (SQ/BD) would certainly be a comfier flight (in J) than CO. The longer flight-time IAH-DME would allow for a full meal, and full night's rest on the TATL portion, and (obviously) MORE MILES

I'm curious to see if IAH gets an SQ lounge (plenty of empty space in Terminal D). If so, I'm definitely taking advantage with the BD Gold card.
But, Russia requires a transit visa, correct? That makes a connection in DME less appealing.

"U.S. citizens transiting Russia en route to any other country are advised to have transit visas. It is theoretically possible to transit Russia without a visa but in several instances, travelers experienced delays and hardships because they did not have a transit visa. Similarly, Russia-bound U.S. citizens attempting to transit Belarus or the Central Asian republics without visas have encountered difficulties. U.S. citizens are strongly advised to check the visa requirements for all countries on their itinerary."

Last edited by CO 1E; Dec 13, 2007 at 12:24 pm
Old Dec 13, 2007, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kommissar Giga-Posting Direktor, PWP; Fasano Nouveau Aristocrat; CO Platinum; BD Gold; MR Gold
The trick is definitely to use CO for Coach travel domestically (and hope for the EUAs), and then use *A for international, or domestic Q-UPs. My recent experiences with UA domestic F were pleasant enough. I really like their seat (the cloth seats seem plusher, softer, and more supportive than the CO seat, and don't look as tatty as NW's cloth seats)
I always found that the CO F seats to be more comfortable than UA F seats. In addition, I have seen many UA F seats that look like old fraternity house cloth barcaloungers, minus the cigarette burns.
Old Dec 13, 2007, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Diamond, B6 Mosaic, AS MPV Gold, UA Gold MM, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by CO 1E
I always found that the CO F seats to be more comfortable than UA F seats. In addition, I have seen many UA F seats that look like old fraternity house cloth barcaloungers, minus the cigarette burns.
Yeah, I agree. I don't dislike the UA F seat, but I find CO's more comfortable. My biggest complaint with the UA F seat is the headrest that ends up in between my shoulders when it's down. I always raise it up so it's behind my head, but many of UA's flight attendants don't like you doing this during takeoff or landing (one even slammed it down from behind with her hand, hitting me in the back of the head at the same time). It's probably not an issue for someone shorter, but for me, the headrest in the down position is like putting a wadded up blanket between the middle of my upper back and the seat, and it's not very comfortable.
Old Dec 13, 2007, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CO 1E
Diff'rent strokes. To me, the CO seat is too angular (i.e. two flat slabs of leather intersecting at a right angle at the seat back/bottom). The UA seat seems to ergonomically fit the curve of my back better. Whereas I can get quite uncomfortable on a long CO flight in domestic F, my ORD-HNL 8.5 hour flight was actually quite comfy (though I realize BF would be even better for such a long flight). My favorite domestic F seat is still the 737-800 DL F seat. Totally unlike those awful new leather seats in the 757s and MD80s. It looked more like the CO seat, but supported my back better than any other domestic F seat I have sat in, had a footrest, and was very squishy/soft.
Old Dec 13, 2007, 1:48 pm

Programs: CO, US, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by FlyingHoustonian
Good news for Houston, again, with Emirates, and Qatari and Korean coming, now SQ.
When is Qatar coming?
Old Dec 13, 2007, 1:54 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Originally Posted by cotch
When is Qatar coming?
They have been working with HAS for some time and are rumoured applying for late spring, early summer 08. Akbar al-Baker, was quoted as saying in a story in the Gulf Times the same thing as HAS has leaked out for some time.

Ciao,
FH
Old Dec 13, 2007, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Diff'rent strokes. To me, the CO seat is too angular (i.e. two flat slabs of leather intersecting at a right angle at the seat back/bottom). The UA seat seems to ergonomically fit the curve of my back better. Whereas I can get quite uncomfortable on a long CO flight in domestic F, my ORD-HNL 8.5 hour flight was actually quite comfy (though I realize BF would be even better for such a long flight). My favorite domestic F seat is still the 737-800 DL F seat. Totally unlike those awful new leather seats in the 757s and MD80s. It looked more like the CO seat, but supported my back better than any other domestic F seat I have sat in, had a footrest, and was very squishy/soft.
Yes, the DL 738 leather seats are quite comfortable.
Old Dec 13, 2007, 2:12 pm

Programs: CO, US, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by FlyingHoustonian
They have been working with HAS for some time and are rumoured applying for late spring, early summer 08. Akbar al-Baker, was quoted as saying in a story in the Gulf Times the same thing as HAS has leaked out for some time.

Ciao,
FH
Awesome!^ Looking forward to that.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.