Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

SQ to Start IAH-SIN via DME (Moscow) with 773ER 4x Weekly Service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SQ to Start IAH-SIN via DME (Moscow) with 773ER 4x Weekly Service

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2007, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A festering pit; a pustule of a fistula set athwart the miasmic swamps of the armpit of the Gulf of Mexico - a Godforsaken wart upon a dark crevasse of the World. (IAH)
Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by J.Edward
Be careful with that -- at least to OSL and LON.

If you want to use SQ you'll still be stuck doing a connection through DME (that is if SQ does not start LHR-IAH service...boy, I bet that notion has a few folks at Smith Street on edge) or on LH to FRA and then onwards.

As for non-stops CO (and BA) in the case of London have an edge as they're the only non-stop players in the market...for now at least.

If you're upfront beware of the fact that intra-Europe flying premium cabins equate to something much more close to Y than F.
I think BD's service (with real regional J seating, not Euro-J) is LHR-DME. Also, I think he should be able to connect on to OSL via SK out of DME (though I'm not 100% on either of those). Considering that OSL requires a connection out of IAH on CO, it might be worth it. Also, routing IAH-DME-LHR (SQ/BD) would certainly be a comfier flight (in J) than CO. The longer flight-time IAH-DME would allow for a full meal, and full night's rest on the TATL portion, and (obviously) MORE MILES

I'm curious to see if IAH gets an SQ lounge (plenty of empty space in Terminal D). If so, I'm definitely taking advantage with the BD Gold card.
Old Dec 13, 2007, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Diamond, B6 Mosaic, AS MPV Gold, UA Gold MM, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite
Yes, *A is great for international airlines. That's part of why I'm trying to keep up some status on UA. I'm hoping I can maintain status on CO and UA, as opposed to just CO, for the purpose of having miles to use on *A for international upgrades.
Old Dec 13, 2007, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Diamond, B6 Mosaic, AS MPV Gold, UA Gold MM, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Anglo Large Clawed Otter
I'm curious to see if IAH gets an SQ lounge (plenty of empty space in Terminal D). If so, I'm definitely taking advantage with the BD Gold card.
I was thinking the same thing.
Old Dec 13, 2007, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A festering pit; a pustule of a fistula set athwart the miasmic swamps of the armpit of the Gulf of Mexico - a Godforsaken wart upon a dark crevasse of the World. (IAH)
Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by ssullivan
Don't do it! Or at least, do both (which is what I'm doing). The problem with *A is when you travel domestically, you're stuck with UA and US. UA isn't so bad with status, as E+ is as good as domestic US economy gets in terms of comfort, but after a few flights, you'll appreciate those generally friendly crews and airport agents you find at CO, as well as CO's pretty clean aircraft. I hate to say it, but it's quite sad when you step onto a 15-20 year old US or UA 737, and it looks 10 times older and more worn out inside than a nearly 40 year old NW DC9 (and yes, I know that NW's 9's had an interior refurb in the late 1990s). But even CO's oldest 733s (the circa-1983-1984 models) feel new inside.
The trick is definitely to use CO for Coach travel domestically (and hope for the EUAs), and then use *A for international, or domestic Q-UPs. My recent experiences with UA domestic F were pleasant enough. I really like their seat (the cloth seats seem plusher, softer, and more supportive than the CO seat, and don't look as tatty as NW's cloth seats). My biggest dislike of UA F - Absolutely inedible chicken & mushroom dish on ORD-HNL. It was positively gross. They made up for it with Mai Tai's. Ex-Plus on an EMB-170 is also awesome. Single-Seat, A Side, with good quality breakfast ex-plus snackbox on MIA-ORD. I was definitely a happy camper on that flight.

Also, considering that many Euro/Asian *A partners offer 300% earnings for F travel, Q-UPs can be a mileage earning bonanza if routed properly.
Old Dec 13, 2007, 8:53 am
Original Poster

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Originally Posted by ssullivan
Yes, *A is great for international airlines. That's part of why I'm trying to keep up some status on UA. I'm hoping I can maintain status on CO and UA, as opposed to just CO, for the purpose of having miles to use on *A for international upgrades.
Bingo.

Another useful tidbit: credit Hampton Inn stays to BD - you net 1,000 miles vis a vis the paltry 100 for the US programs. I've steadily watched my account grow...in 1,000 mile chunks that is!
Old Dec 13, 2007, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98; PalmSource/Palm-D052; Blazer/4.5) 16;320x320)

Well, one London trip could possibly be in BF so I'll stick with CO for it (get a jump on status).

The others will be in Y so I'll have to figure out my options. I do want to try out bmi, so I may do that.

What single account do you guys use for your *A miles? BD?

Last edited by Hartmann; Dec 13, 2007 at 9:00 am
Old Dec 13, 2007, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yeah I'm just torn between BD and UA. BD is great for fast mileage accrual; status on UA is great for flying in domestic E+. But that 1,000 miles for Hampton stays is very enticing. I could see opening a BD account that ends up being like my VS account, which has a nice balance accrued almost exclusively through Hilton stays (1,000 miles there at Hiltons, HGIs, Embassy Suites, and DoubleTrees).
Old Dec 13, 2007, 8:58 am

Programs: OnePass
Unhappy Another blow to CO's possible market

CO's possible OIL-to-OIL market

1. EK -- IAH-DXB
2. SQ -- IAH-DME
Old Dec 13, 2007, 9:03 am

Portions of the post that previously appeared in this space have been deleted. I would provide you with a reason why, but doing so would likely be against the TOS.

Last edited by uncertaintraveler; Dec 18, 2008 at 1:56 pm
Old Dec 13, 2007, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EWR Rocks

1. EK -- IAH-DXB
2. SQ -- IAH-DME
Yep. And these other airlines are beating CO to the punch simply because CO doesn't have the aircraft it needs to fly routes like those.
Old Dec 13, 2007, 9:19 am

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Good news for Houston, again, with Emirates, and Qatari and Korean coming, now SQ. Growing Russian community in Houston, with a nice new Full consulate General in town, and a decent sized Singapore and Singaporean transit community, with an Honourary Consulate General with a full Texas jourisdiction. Great business ties.

Now we wait and see if City Star will actually start the Houston-Aberdeen service they promised, as they have yet to apply for authority.

Ciao,
FH
Old Dec 13, 2007, 9:20 am

Programs: BAEC redundant Bronze, AAdvantage Lifetime PLT, CO, WN, B6
Originally Posted by EWR Rocks

1. EK -- IAH-DXB
2. SQ -- IAH-DME

The other people who will presumably be watching this carefully are BA. I believe the IAH route is important to them, and I'm sure they hoped to get a boost by moving it to LHR to improve the connections to Russia, Nigeria and the various Gulf destinations. BA have also cancelled the ABZ-LGW route from next Spring presumably since they no longer need it for connections. I would have thought SQ would have them worried about premium connecting traffic so it will be interesting to see if they respond.
Old Dec 13, 2007, 9:24 am

Programs: TK/QR Gold, Marriott/Accor Plat, IC Dia Amb, Avis/Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Anglo Large Clawed Otter
I will so be redeeming my newfound pile of BD miles for this service. SQ J (or F, if there's availability...Yeah, right) to DME, nonstop. Yes, please!!!
Bad luck. There's no standard O/I availability in the new premium classes on the 77W...for a while at least. Even KrisFlyer members have to redeem double the miles for unrestricted awards.

Economy is fine though....with 19" wide seats and an exit row, I survived my SIN-FRA flight.

Originally Posted by J.Edward
Bingo.

Another useful tidbit: credit Hampton Inn stays to BD - you net 1,000 miles vis a vis the paltry 100 for the US programs. I've steadily watched my account grow...in 1,000 mile chunks that is!
And don't forget the 1700 BD miles per Hertz rental as well. ^
Old Dec 13, 2007, 9:32 am

Programs: A3/Gold, BA/Gold + other less precious metals
Originally Posted by Platcomike
...I wonder how the crews will do on their layovers? In SIN, if it gets below 85, they all wear jackets and sweaters. Moscow will be a challenge.
AFAIK SQ already fly to Moscow...
Old Dec 13, 2007, 9:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by uncertaintraveler
Would a IAH-SIN traveler (on a US passport) need a visa for the transit stop in Moscow?
Nope.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.