Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Never Newark or Continental Again!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2007, 8:41 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by geoffco
After reading this story twice, I hope Joe gets a promotion.
Old Jun 25, 2007, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
I just read the EWR-LAS upgrade for $500+ each, and stopped in my tracks. A certain PT Barnum quote popped into my head. No need to read any further.
Old Jun 25, 2007, 8:52 am

Programs: CO - Plat, NW - Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Starwood Plat.
I am sorry about what happened to you at EWR. Sad to say I think there are three sides to this story: the GA side, the pax side and, the side no one told. You did cross the line by cursing. A GA can deny you boarding or any reason that they come up with. If you challenge it - guess who security and the powers that be will believe.

I do not believe that CO will do anything other than apologize to you and say that they will speak to the GA and the supervisor. Good luck with getting a refund - I do not think it will happen. As others have said on here, you never piss off the GA or anyone in authority at the airport because they have all the rights (another reason for a pax bill of rights) not you.

The 800-we-care line or writing to LK isnt really going to get you much other than perhaps an apology. As an example: More than a year ago I asked for a security pass to use the PC. The CS agent at the counter said they do not give those out after 9-11. I asked for a supervisor (after calling the EWR PC who advised me that they do give these passes out). I told the supervisor that I had the number for the EWR PC club and he can call them to check his information as I was sure he had incorrect information. He responded in a not so friendly tone saying that I was wasting his time and that he had more important thing to do. I must had pushed him too far when I said that a simple phone call to the PC would resolve this and he responded by saying if I took this further he would call the police (not security) and have me arrested. I backed off at this point and walked away. I later sent an email to LK and I receive a call from someone in his office apologizing for the incident and to assure me that the GA and the supervisor would be told that if someone has a current PC card they should be given a security pass. I waited almost a year to ask the same GA and maybe a month or so later the supervisor for a security pass. Guess what answer I got - yeah the same -we do not give those out since 9-11. One of two things happened here - either the person at LK office never followed through or the EWR agents dont want to be bothered (i.e. do as little as possible to get through the day).

Kinda sucks but we dont have much of a choice if we want to get from X to Y.
Old Jun 25, 2007, 8:56 am

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Originally Posted by tincan
...Guess what answer I got - yeah the same -we do not give those out since 9-11...
Not to get off topic but tell the agent to reference GG checkpoint line 34 (thanks tincan ) if that happens.

Last edited by J.Edward; Jun 25, 2007 at 10:38 am
Old Jun 25, 2007, 9:13 am

Programs: CO - Plat, NW - Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Starwood Plat.
Originally Posted by J.Edward
Not to get off topic but tell the agent to reference GG checkpoint line 32 (IIRC) if that happens.
Its #34 - It references non traveling PC and their guest are eligibile for a secuirty pass.
Old Jun 25, 2007, 10:10 am

Programs: OnePass Infinite CO MM, PC Charter Lifer SkyMiles GM, MileagePlus
Denied Boarding

With only reading the OP's version of what happened
I would have done exactly as the Gray Coat did

The family had the misfortune of being the OP's family

The OP should try FlexJets

Chic
Old Jun 25, 2007, 10:11 am
Suspended

I guess continental does not value you or your business. I hear westjet and air canada calling. The statement espoused by the rep was not racist as french canadians are white european caucasians. You are a sucker for spending that kind of money.
Old Jun 25, 2007, 11:12 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, United LT Silver
It's amazing what a simple "please", "thank you", or "how are you today, Joe" will get you... even in rude ol' Newark.
Old Jun 25, 2007, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by puddy
It's amazing what a simple "please", "thank you", or "how are you today, Joe" will get you... even in rude ol' Newark.
Flies, honey, vinegar, eh?

I really don't get the confrontational techniques that so many travelers employ when dealing with the TSA, airline employees, etc.

Even at EWR...
Old Jun 25, 2007, 11:26 am

Programs: AC E75K *G
What does "Good customer service" start with?

A "Good customer".
Old Jun 25, 2007, 12:16 pm

Programs: OnePass Infinite CO MM, PC Charter Lifer SkyMiles GM, MileagePlus
Pity the students

I truly hope the OP isn't really a teacher in LV

What chance would the students have

Chic
Old Jun 25, 2007, 1:38 pm

Frankly, I take the OP at his word here. He has fessed up to his own behavior which in hindsight he agress was not perfect. Didn't really take the holier then thou route.

Frankly, I don't thin an airline shoudl be able to kick you off a flight when a GA or FA or pilot uses their discretion without some follow up from a more senior employee. Meaning, the PAX being kicked off should be routed directly to a senior supervisor who has the authority to reassess the situation and make arrangments for either putting people on a later flight or continued denial of service.

In any case, I belive OP is entitled to the fare from EWR/LAS as CO denied service and never fulfilled the service.

As for the FC issue. Every airline is different there are many airlines that offer FC purchase at the gate several have been mentioned and DL does and NW does on occassion. Belive CO does on the HI routes (or at least used to). You can't expect people to be experts in every airline. Who has the time??

As for five seats being open. Rare but probably does happen. Misconnect is a good possibility especially summer weather time at ewr.

I do believe that Joe could have totally avoided this situation by providing a thoughtful honest approach. You can complain about cranky travelers but CSA and GA have no excuse for crankiness I don't care how SH**& their day has been. That's there job. Smile and take one for the team!

Also, given the posts we see here these are more the isolated incidents at ewr.
Old Jun 25, 2007, 2:53 pm

Programs: UA Gold, CO Plat, CO Million Miler
The OP did fess up to saying Yes. "You (speaking to Joe) can shove this scam up your ....” To me that's pretty imflammatory whatever the circumstances, and is't completely possible worse was said. While a GA must take a lot of stuff from people, there's got to be some limit. Obviously, if they were attacked physically, no one would expect them not to defend themselves. I think the GA determined (true or false) that this flyer was a danger to the plane.

And there's something that doesn't ring true here. 1. We have another one hit wonder coming to FT to vent. 2. He's obviously well enough off to spend a couple thousand (or even $7000) and he doesn't buy first class tickets in advance. 3. He spends the $7000 without a serious attempt to get CO to fly him back to LAS the next day on either CO metal or another airline. 4. And what's this mean "We buy cheap and spend the rest while on vacation." If you buy so cheap what's with being willing to shell out several grand for upgrades.

And again, it's really hard to imagine that CO had five seats that they could sell in FC shortly before the flight.
Old Jun 25, 2007, 3:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by kingalien
I think US offers this.
Be thankful CO doesn't...US agents regularly hold back upgrade seats from their elite members in order to 'sell' the seats to non-elites for extra cash. Maybe the sales make them look good or they're running some kind of contest - but placing that type of discretion in the hands of an airport agent is a recipe for some very unhappy frequent customers.

I didn't read the whole thread before commenting, but I will refrain from passing judgment on what happened - I'm sure that CO will investigate further and talk to all of the agents working that flight to get their side, then decide if and how to compensate the customer.
Old Jun 25, 2007, 3:24 pm

Programs: SPG & CO Plat.
Originally Posted by geoffco
After reading this story twice, I hope Joe gets a promotion.
NW has trained you well to receive the worst and construe it as the best. On CO, we hope for a little better.

Perhaps Joe can get on at NW.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.