Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Never Newark or Continental Again!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2007, 3:30 pm

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Originally Posted by hughw
...He's obviously well enough off to spend a couple thousand (or even $7000) and he doesn't buy first class tickets in advance. 3. He spends the $7000 without a serious attempt to get CO to fly him back to LAS the next day on either CO metal or another airline.
In regards to #3 he did mention that they "are frequent flyers with another airline and get upgrades for $150.00 per ticket. I guess I figured most airlines operated this way (I have never flown with Continental)." This makes sense to me - lvteacher was use to US/HP's system and had never flown with CO before so his expiations seem reasonable in that regard.

As for #4 my guess is that the OP wanted to go back in FC and was willing to pay a fee. When he discovered it would cost $500 (at first) to upgrade my guess is that while he might have been taken aback by the charge, he was still willing and able to pay it...especially if he wanted to have his family in F on the return flight to LAS. It's easy to ask a regular around these parts as to why they just did not buy a cheap R/Z/YUP fare to begin with but as this was the OP's first (and I'm guessing last) time on CO, I doubt he understood the subtle fare nuances and tricks which are almost second nature to long time veterans.

It sounds like he did have a legitimate complaint against the EWR staff...it's a shame he allowed his emotions to get in the way.
Old Jun 25, 2007, 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by J.Edward
It sounds like he did have a legitimate complaint against the EWR staff...it's a shame he allowed his emotions to get in the way.
Wouldn't you say the same about Joe???
Old Jun 25, 2007, 3:47 pm

He allegedly purchased 5 coach seats for $1300 each. I just checked and US doesn't have any seats for JFK-LAS that cost over $770 (on Expedia), and that includes first class seats. On the US web site, unrestricted coach is $704.

Last edited by Bobster; Jun 25, 2007 at 3:59 pm Reason: correct Expedia price
Old Jun 25, 2007, 3:57 pm

Programs: UA Gold, CO Plat, CO Million Miler
And the walkup CO FC fare from EWR to Vegas is $624 one way ($634.10 incl tax). Factoring in a partial refund and the coach ticket and a change fee, they probably were looking at about $600 each to change to FC. So where does $1000 come from. SOunds like Joe was scamming them and pocketing the difference. And if you believe that, I have a bridge I'd like to sell you. Most of us are being polite and trying to "understand" the OP, but really, there are some strange people out there.
Old Jun 25, 2007, 3:59 pm

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Originally Posted by otralot
Wouldn't you say the same about Joe???
Yes - sorry if that was not clear my earlier post. It sounds like what escalated the situation was how the EWR staff delivered (or failed to) the explanation of the upgrade charge. I'd think things would have gone far better if the agent or Joe had taken explained the reasoning behind why they had to give out three separate estimates and how the final estimate was calculated.

But otralot I think you raise a very good point about Joe; he does not seem like one of "the most professional" staff out there...and throwing in the "go back to Quebec comment" too...not acceptable way to treat customer at all. But the sad part is that no corrective action at EWR will be enforced as this incident will simply be written off to an unruly customer; he lost his temper and cursed at the ground staff.
Old Jun 25, 2007, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA-2MM; GalacticXpress-Irridium
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Be thankful CO doesn't...US agents regularly hold back upgrade seats from their elite members in order to 'sell' the seats to non-elites for extra cash. Maybe the sales make them look good or they're running some kind of contest - but placing that type of discretion in the hands of an airport agent is a recipe for some very unhappy frequent customers.
When HP started a similar program years ago I was told that the agents got some form of credit/acknowledgement for it. And yes I'm very thankful CO doesn't do this though I'm sure if they considered it we all would create such a stir that CO would have to think twice about it .
Old Jun 25, 2007, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by lvteacher
I sent the following letter to Larry Kellner, Continental CEO and Chairman of the Board. Lets see if Continental really cares, as their customer service postcard says they do.

--------------------

Dear Mr. Kellner. . .
Welcome to FT!

I am sorry for the problems you described in Newark; you relayed quite a shocking story. In one sense, if you've decided to leave Continental, it eases pressure on the carrier to address the problem for you. I do hope you get a satisfactory resolution to your issue. FWIW, I believe that the treatment you received isn't typical--even in EWR!
Old Jun 25, 2007, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
We are frequent flyers with another airline and get upgrades for $150.00 per ticket. I guess I figured most airlines operated this way (I have never flown with Continental). We buy cheap and spend the rest while on vacation.
Sounds like Alaska. CO charges a lot more for paid upgrades.
Old Jun 25, 2007, 7:37 pm

Yes - sorry if that was not clear my earlier post. It sounds like what escalated the situation was how the EWR staff delivered (or failed to) the explanation of the upgrade charge. I'd think things would have gone far better if the agent or Joe had taken explained the reasoning behind why they had to give out three separate estimates and how the final estimate was calculated.

But otralot I think you raise a very good point about Joe; he does not seem like one of "the most professional" staff out there...and throwing in the "go back to Quebec comment" too...not acceptable way to treat customer at all. But the sad part is that no corrective action at EWR will be enforced as this incident will simply be written off to an unruly customer; he lost his temper and cursed at the ground staff.
Old Jun 25, 2007, 7:43 pm

That's one reason I propose and additional immediate review of cases were passengers are denied boarding or kicked off planes. People are all to ready to blame the customer, and in this day and age it is easy for employees to abuse the discretion of denied boarding, and rude behavior by a GA too easily chocked up to passenger ingnorance ( which BTW is not an acceptable excuse for bad CS no matter what yoou all say here about people knowing rules).

We see a trend vis a vis ewr. Only ocassionally do we hear on these boards similar complaints about IAH and I am wondering if I ever heard one about CLE. It seems obvious ewr CS, GA, and supervisors need some training, and perhaps some consequences for their behavior. If Joe did 10% of what the OP suggested there is a problem.
Old Jun 25, 2007, 8:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, UA Million Miler
Something stinks about this story. Stinks real bad. I don't doubt the OP was banned from his flight, but there HAS to be more to ths story. When was the last time there were 5 seats open (as the flight was boarding, no less so you know that battlefield's were already given) on a EWR-LAS flight? Smell that? It's stink.
Old Jun 25, 2007, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by otralot
Frankly, I don't thin an airline shoudl be able to kick you off a flight when a GA or FA or pilot uses their discretion without some follow up from a more senior employee.
More senior than a pilot? No one is more senior than the pilot of an aircraft. No one is flying on the aircraft without his/her approval.

The stupervisor obviously didn't help the situation, but getting mad at any airline employee is quite counterproductive. You use foul language, or have a nasty disposition, and they will make sure you won't be flying. I've had tons of problems flying, and have never been kicked off a plane. Being calm and non-combative works quite well for me.

As an example, I was on a NW flight that was delayed for almost 9 hours, last week. An hour into the delay, the GA told everyone that we were going to snag a FA off another incoming flight, but that most would miss their connections. He stated that they would be rebooked at DTW, and hotel rooms provided.

The FA that came in refused to go on the DTW flight, so we were stuck for another 6 hours before departure. Upon arrival at DTW (at 5am), people were yelling at the GA there because there were no longer any rooms available. Most had flights in 3 or 4 hours. While the GA in PHX had promised rooms, it had been 9 hours previously, and obviously things changed.

I simply shrugged, asked the GA for some meal vouchers, and had a nice breakfast while waiting for my next flight. Some things you can control, and some you can't. Getting mad at the messenger doesn't really solve anything, and can in cases such as this, can make you miss your flight.

Last edited by Jaimito Cartero; Jun 25, 2007 at 8:08 pm
Old Jun 25, 2007, 8:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: Continental Gold Elite, United Premier Executive
Originally Posted by hughw
And the walkup CO FC fare from EWR to Vegas is $624 one way ($634.10 incl tax). Factoring in a partial refund and the coach ticket and a change fee, they probably were looking at about $600 each to change to FC. So where does $1000 come from. SOunds like Joe was scamming them and pocketing the difference. And if you believe that, I have a bridge I'd like to sell you. Most of us are being polite and trying to "understand" the OP, but really, there are some strange people out there.
Full-fare F on EWR-LAS is $2182 one-way.
Old Jun 25, 2007, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
America West now operating as US Airways
Yes, it is operates US Airways. That means last time US is takeover all America West named. Why did you get banned from your entire flights back home to LAS? You should take on US/HP is much better than CO. it was complaining with CO supervisor was gave you increased the fares. I think you should take on Air Canada do that next time when you flying from YYZ-LAS non-stop or even you can take on US Airways. Your decide to which best airlines if you find good low-fares from airlines. You doesn't happened from CO but, you will never goes back to EWR again. I think you should take on DL to connected via BOS then you will continues to LAS.
Old Jun 25, 2007, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by HeathrowGuy
Full-fare F on EWR-LAS is $2182 one-way.
Ohhh. It is too expensive F fares. You should get better low-fares by entire airlines. Please do try low-fares any class L, T, U or lower fares if you searching the flight information.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.