Community
Wiki Posts
Search

tipping in President's Club

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2009, 10:52 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by channa
I met a fellow FTer the other week this way. Who else tips in dollar coins?
All my cash tips are in dollar coins. They're still unique to many people and it's amazing how the tipped staff remember you on return visits which usually equals superior service.

Last edited by controller1; Oct 30, 2009 at 10:55 pm Reason: added "cash"
Old Oct 30, 2009, 11:37 pm

Programs: UA Silver, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Syzygies
Is anyone seriously asserting here that the Prez Club bartenders base salary is less than the cleaning staff? Or is the subtext here that the bartenders are our kind of people, but the staff aren't.

I'd tip if it were split.
I'm not sure where my quote fits in to your statement. My assertion is only that bartenders are typically paid very low with the understanding tips are the bulk of their pay. If I remember correctly, service industry minimum wage is something on the order of $2.50/hr (maybe less).

I have no idea what the cleaning staff are paid.
Old Oct 31, 2009, 1:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by Collins
If I remember correctly, service industry minimum wage is something on the order of $2.50/hr (maybe less).
This varies by state. California, for example, requires employers to pay the same minimum wage to everyone, including tipped workers. There are a handful of states like this as well (WA, NV, and a few others).
Old Oct 31, 2009, 2:28 am

Programs: UA Silver, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by channa
This varies by state. California, for example, requires employers to pay the same minimum wage to everyone, including tipped workers. There are a handful of states like this as well (WA, NV, and a few others).
This is true, but many (most?) PCs fall outside of these states. In any case, even at minimum wage I'd say tips certainly help them bunches.
Old Oct 31, 2009, 3:57 am

Programs: DL MM/FC/FO; UA PS; AA GLD
I believe PC bartenders are paid better than "regular" bartenders. However, I happen to be one who tips because I think they are good bartenders who go above and beyond merely delivering drinks. I would feel better if tips were shared with the service personnel, but who knows, maybe they are.
Old Oct 31, 2009, 5:31 am

Programs: -UA 1K-Hilton Diamond-
i leave $5 after 2-4 adult beverages
Old Oct 31, 2009, 7:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: CO Plat & MP 1K
Originally Posted by carvalh2
I think you have a bit misguided view of service in Europe and other non tipping dependent cultures.
I always find it funny when I am with someone who is with me in Brazil for the first time, and they wonder why the service is so slow. Same is true in Spain.

I agree with the China and Japan comments. Asia in general.

Americans just move at a different pace than most other cultures. Very few people here sit down to have a meal. They usually sit down to eat(big difference), and the tipping incentive just makes everyone move that much faster. In my opinion it is annoying when you wanna sit down, relax, and enjoy a nice meal or whatever other service, and you have to feel pressured to move. Some people love to get in and out as fast as they can. So is life.

It took me a while to get used to having a server bring me my check without me asking for it. In other cultures that would be considered extremely rude.

As far as good service in the US, I would have to disagree. Good service is not the norm, and nowadays we feel to obliged to tip, that no matter how bad the service is, service workers know they will get at least something.

Don't get me wrong. I love tipping for excellent service, but more often than not, I find myself forced to give money for service that is mediocre at best.
I don't know what you mean about misguided about service in europe -- I've traveled there quite extensively covering almost all of Spain, France, UK, Germany, the Netherlands, Czech Republic, Norway, Sweden, Switzerland, Slovenia, Denmark, Austria, and Italy. In general, I find that servers are very quick to bring you a first drink and take your order, but after that trying to find a server for a second drink or the check --when you want it-- is often difficult. I like to linger over my meal and drinks, but when I want a second drink or some additional food or just something like additional water, I like for a server to come by and ask rather than having to sometimes physically get up from the table to find them. I guess your view is that I eat and drink too fast compared to europeans, but most of the time I'm eating and drinking with europeans and I don't notice any difference. Really high end restaurants of course tend to give excellent service regardless of where you go. I am talking about middle and low end bars and restaurants.

I agree that a server should not bring the check until you ask for it and as when I'm not in europe, I'm mostly in nyc, I am used to not having checks brought to me until I ask for them which is the norm in most of the places I go to in nyc. I too dislike this aspect of American restaurants outside of nyc. As I say above, I like to linger over my meal and enjoy the evening, when I go out unless I'm going to the theater, I plan on making the meal my main evening event. I also dislike servers who can't remember what you order and ask who had the chicken? I mean how difficult is that to write it down? And American servers are terrible at that.

It may be that if tipping was more the norm in Europe that they still wouldn't come by to ask about second drinks and if you need anything else as often as I would like, who knows?

I just got back from Japan, btw, and there the service is so wonderful and without tipping, just fantastic.
Old Oct 31, 2009, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OMNIArchist, OMNIArchy!, OMNIIDGAS
Originally Posted by sushibear
I believe PC bartenders are paid better than "regular" bartenders. However, I happen to be one who tips because I think they are good bartenders who go above and beyond merely delivering drinks. I would feel better if tips were shared with the service personnel, but who knows, maybe they are.
I will ask next time, I know them pretty well (not even for drinks, just juices, etc sometimes) I don't think they will mind sharing this
Old Oct 31, 2009, 12:54 pm

Programs: CO One Pass Hipster, *G, Expedia Elite Plus, :rolleyes: Premier Exec.
Originally Posted by rlbmorton
I don't know what you mean about misguided about service in europe -- I've traveled there quite extensively covering almost all of Spain, France, UK, Germany, the Netherlands, Czech Republic, Norway, Sweden, Switzerland, Slovenia, Denmark, Austria, and Italy. In general, I find that servers are very quick to bring you a first drink and take your order, but after that trying to find a server for a second drink or the check --when you want it-- is often difficult. I like to linger over my meal and drinks, but when I want a second drink or some additional food or just something like additional water, I like for a server to come by and ask rather than having to sometimes physically get up from the table to find them. I guess your view is that I eat and drink too fast compared to europeans, but most of the time I'm eating and drinking with europeans and I don't notice any difference. Really high end restaurants of course tend to give excellent service regardless of where you go. I am talking about middle and low end bars and restaurants.

I agree that a server should not bring the check until you ask for it and as when I'm not in europe, I'm mostly in nyc, I am used to not having checks brought to me until I ask for them which is the norm in most of the places I go to in nyc. I too dislike this aspect of American restaurants outside of nyc. As I say above, I like to linger over my meal and enjoy the evening, when I go out unless I'm going to the theater, I plan on making the meal my main evening event. I also dislike servers who can't remember what you order and ask who had the chicken? I mean how difficult is that to write it down? And American servers are terrible at that.

It may be that if tipping was more the norm in Europe that they still wouldn't come by to ask about second drinks and if you need anything else as often as I would like, who knows?

I just got back from Japan, btw, and there the service is so wonderful and without tipping, just fantastic.
My apologies for the poor choice of words. Shouldn't have said misguided.
I guess I my experiences abroad tends to be a little different.

Maybe if they expected tipping in Europe the service would be faster/better/more attentive. I guess to me its just frustrating to feel like you need to leave tip regardless of how crappy the service is.

Asian culture is very customer service oriented, and this shows everywhere. There is a reason why Cathay and Singapore are consistently one of the best airlines out there.

As far as speed eating, you may be one of the lucky ones that stops to really enjoy his food/drinks, but I do tend to notice that most of my friends and family here in the US tend to eat much faster than my friends and family abroad. Maybe I am just being too critical?

I guess the overall point (sorry deviating from the original topic) is that people in US just move at a faster pace than Europe and South America, and while I am used to that and even notice I do the same (I get yelled at by my mom when I go to visit when I start to freak out that we are late going somewhere), it would be nice if we could all slow down a bit.

But I digress...

Tip the bartenders at the PC clubs people!
Old Oct 31, 2009, 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by controller1
All my cash tips are in dollar coins. They're still unique to many people and it's amazing how the tipped staff remember you on return visits which usually equals superior service.
You mean I can give them my Canadian Loonies and Twoonies!!
Old Oct 31, 2009, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OMNIArchist, OMNIArchy!, OMNIIDGAS
Originally Posted by PunishedEdmontonian
You mean I can give them my Canadian Loonies and Twoonies!!
sure it is cool. I tip in foreign currency sometimes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.