Community
Wiki Posts
Search

tipping in President's Club

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2009, 9:03 am

Programs: UA PM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium, HH Gold
This thread is quickly going into "Reservoir Dogs" territory.

:-)

Personally, it doesn't hurt anyone (especially me) to tip a buck a trip to the bar. Sometimes I get two drinks, sometimes one, depending on who I am with or by myself.

We could argue the "should" and the morality of it all day, but IMHO, it's just good karma to throw a buck in the glass jar each time I go the bar.
Old Oct 29, 2009, 9:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by iansr
No, but this is a completely different situation. Most of the bartenders get paid a decent salary at these clubs,
Originally Posted by reotrip
I agree with iansr. The bartenders probably do get paid a good salary, and it is probably a union job.
Hahahaha....Decent salary?? Union job?? You guys crack me up.

It isn't. It isn't actually even a Continental job. They're outsourced in almost every club. A whole bunch were fired when IAH switched to the outsourcing company; only 2-3 actually kept their jobs.
Old Oct 29, 2009, 10:15 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Rewards Platinum, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Diamond
I once heard someone ask the bartender at EWR -- the chatty blond guy who works the upstairs club--how much club bartenders make. He thought quickly and said "Minimum." I'm sure that increased the need to tip!

I tip the shower ladies after I have had a shower -- $3. I assume they share this with the people who clean the shower rooms, but don't know.
Old Oct 29, 2009, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No, but this is a completely different situation. Most of the bartenders get paid a decent salary at these clubs, I would almost thing that there would be a no tipping policy in place considering the cost of the membership.
So you wouldn't tip anyone at a country club at which you were a member?
Old Oct 29, 2009, 11:11 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hilton Diamond
I would much prefer a self-service arrangement a la DL and most non-US carrier lounges I've visited.
Old Oct 29, 2009, 11:15 am

Programs: CO-PLAT, Hyatt Plat
It normally depends, the president clubs I believe make more than enough to pay their employees well, which in mind means that the bartenders do get paid fine, plus in my opion tips should be more than just throwing down money which is exactly what happens at country clubs
Old Oct 29, 2009, 11:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

It normally depends, the president clubs I believe make more than enough to pay their employees well, which in mind means that the bartenders do get paid fine,
You can think that all you want, but that doesn't actually make it so.
Old Oct 29, 2009, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
I bet some of these folks don't tip their hotel maids, either. Good grief, people...there but for the grace of God go you.
Old Oct 29, 2009, 11:39 am

I tip $1/drink in the P-Club (yes I have a membership). That's pretty much the lowest acceptable tip for any bartender, regardless of how much they make. It's our culture; it's an unspoken rule. Plus, the Bloody Mary's are awesome. And if I can tip, there is no excuse for any of you not to... It is cheap, stingy, and tacky to not tip.
Old Oct 29, 2009, 11:42 am

Programs: NW/DL GE, CO GE
From a principle standpoint, I would usually tip $1 - $2 for the first round, and then the same for future rounds (as long as the service was standard).

That said, it usually doesn't happen ... not because I don't want to but because I don't carry US currency. 99% of the time I'm just transiting the US, and I'm fairly certain the PC bartenders don't want a bunch of Canadian loonies (and most travelex / exchange places don't change coins). On top of that, when I travel, I rarely even carry cash, so it's highly unlikely they'd even get CAD. In a restaurant / bar I usually tip on debit or credit card.
Old Oct 29, 2009, 12:07 pm

Programs: CO One Pass Hipster, *G, Expedia Elite Plus, :rolleyes: Premier Exec.
Originally Posted by rlbmorton
Thanks for the replies! It sounds like my tipping in the PC is in line with what others (who tip) do. I will continue to tip the bartenders and not worry about the other staff. I often order a drink that has to be mixed and I find that they put effort into doing it well -- a bartender can do a bad job on this -- make things too weak, etc. As for the tipping culture in the US -- well it is the norm that has developed -- and I'm ok with it but I think that that cultural issue is something that is probably beyond the scope of this forum! But IMO in most countries that I visit where tipping is not a norm, getting good service of the type I find normal in the US is a rarity -- this is particularly true in European countries where you can wait forever for service which is paltry at best and those self serve restaurants in the UK are the pits. The big exception here is my experience in China and Japan where tipping did not seem to be expected yet service was extremely good.
I think you have a bit misguided view of service in Europe and other non tipping dependent cultures.
I always find it funny when I am with someone who is with me in Brazil for the first time, and they wonder why the service is so slow. Same is true in Spain.

I agree with the China and Japan comments. Asia in general.

Americans just move at a different pace than most other cultures. Very few people here sit down to have a meal. They usually sit down to eat(big difference), and the tipping incentive just makes everyone move that much faster. In my opinion it is annoying when you wanna sit down, relax, and enjoy a nice meal or whatever other service, and you have to feel pressured to move. Some people love to get in and out as fast as they can. So is life.

It took me a while to get used to having a server bring me my check without me asking for it. In other cultures that would be considered extremely rude.

As far as good service in the US, I would have to disagree. Good service is not the norm, and nowadays we feel to obliged to tip, that no matter how bad the service is, service workers know they will get at least something.

Don't get me wrong. I love tipping for excellent service, but more often than not, I find myself forced to give money for service that is mediocre at best.
Old Oct 29, 2009, 12:11 pm

Programs: CO One Pass Hipster, *G, Expedia Elite Plus, :rolleyes: Premier Exec.
And to be clear. I always tip the PC bar folks. They are my best friends while on the road.
Old Oct 29, 2009, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Originally Posted by craz
cause if you will tip the bartender then for the same drinks you should tip the FAs
If the Club crashes into the water, will the bartender get you a life jacket?
Old Oct 29, 2009, 12:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
I found this to be a great use of dollar coins

[Typically 1-3 coins a visit... several rounds ]
Old Oct 29, 2009, 1:06 pm

Programs: CO Gold - 1MM, IC Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by spainflyer
I tip the shower ladies after I have had a shower -- $3. I assume they share this with the people who clean the shower rooms, but don't know.
Hmm....I tip the bartenders but never thought about the Shower Attendants, guess I was always in a rush....I will start doing that in the future!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.