Community
Wiki Posts
Search

tipping in President's Club

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2007, 11:26 am

Programs: AA Plat, HH Gold, SPG Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Silver, Amex Plat, GlobalEntry, SW A-List Preferred
Originally Posted by rlbmorton
I did a search and only found information on tipping FAs. I'm curious, how much do people tip the bartenders in the PC? Do people tip the other staff, such as the bus ladies?
Long discussion on tipping the PC bartenders here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=555006
Old Jun 24, 2007, 11:27 am

Programs: Premier 1K, 1 mm
Originally Posted by njxbean
the nature of a bartending job is that they work for tips. It is especially important that you tip them when its open bar(free drinks).

I generally tip $1 or $2 per drink.
I am courious: Where do you find the information that "...they work for tips."? As someone mentioned, we pay for our membership, and that should include normal service.

Jack
Old Jun 24, 2007, 11:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: CO Plat & MP 1K
Originally Posted by canuck_in_pa
Long discussion on tipping the PC bartenders here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=555006
Thanks!
Old Jun 24, 2007, 11:55 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Lifetime PLT
Originally Posted by jsmcnabb
I am courious: Where do you find the information that "...they work for tips."? As someone mentioned, we pay for our membership, and that should include normal service.

Jack

I find that information by living life! There are certain jobs in the US whereby people make the majority of their money through tips. Waiters/servers and bartenders fall into these categories. Even though you paid a membership and drinks are free, it is still expected that you tip. When you go to a wedding, its open bar, however, people still tip. Thats how these people make their money. It sucks that is the case. Its just how it is. Of course you should receive normal service. Just as you should at any bar in the USA. No one is saying you should not include normal service. Im just saying that these people are working for tips, and we should tip them. If you can afford a PC membership, you can afford to throw them a dollar for a drink.
Old Jun 24, 2007, 12:00 pm
Suspended

"Now I come from NW WorldClub land where we have self serve everything (except in a few outstations where tending is mandated by local laws). So it is a bit odd when I enter a PC and see people tipping."

Having a bartender in one of these clubs is just silly. I'm perfectly able to make my own drink. One of the things I hate about traveling is the constant need of people to wait on me. I prefer to get it myself and really don't want to tip as I don't want them to get it for me.
Old Jun 24, 2007, 1:22 pm

I find that information by living life! There are certain jobs in the US whereby people make the majority of their money through tips. Waiters/servers and bartenders fall into these categories. Even though you paid a membership and drinks are free, it is still expected that you tip. When you go to a wedding, its open bar, however, people still tip. Thats how these people make their money. It sucks that is the case. Its just how it is. Of course you should receive normal service. Just as you should at any bar in the USA. No one is saying you should not include normal service. Im just saying that these people are working for tips, and we should tip them. If you can afford a PC membership, you can afford to throw them a dollar for a drink.
The fact that I can afford many luxuries has nothing to do with my tipping habits --- no connection whatsoever. I tip over 20% to servers at resturants but would consider it terribly poor taste to tip at a wedding. When I had weddings for my three daughters, I tipped when I paid the bills.

Jack
Old Jun 24, 2007, 1:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Lifetime PLT
The fact that I can afford many luxuries has nothing to do with my tipping habits --- no connection whatsoever. I tip over 20% to servers at resturants but would consider it terribly poor taste to tip at a wedding. When I had weddings for my three daughters, I tipped when I paid the bills.

Jack
I understand your point of view. All i am saying is that all bartenders work for tips. Unless it is posted that they are not accepting tips(which happens in some cases), it is assumed they will be earning most of their pay through tips. In which case, tipping is the proper thing to do.
Old Jun 24, 2007, 1:40 pm

I understand your point of view. All i am saying is that all bartenders work for tips. Unless it is posted that they are not accepting tips(which happens in some cases), it is assumed they will be earning most of their pay through tips. In which case, tipping is the proper thing to do.
Agreed. I happen to tip $1 when a Pclub bartender pours two glasses of wine and I do the walking.

Jack
Old Oct 29, 2009, 7:05 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: 1K 1MM; Bonvoy Ambassador; Nat'l EE; Hertz PC; Hyatt Globalist
Somehow I see Larry David making "tipping a bartender" an entire episode of curb your enthusiasm... Already made the "tip matching" episode. I generally leave $1/drink as well.
Old Oct 29, 2009, 7:47 am

Programs: UA 1MM (former 1K, Delta Platinum))
I ... would consider it terribly poor taste to tip at a wedding. When I had weddings for my three daughters, I tipped when I paid the bills.
The caterer was my primary expense at my outdoor wedding. Sole proprietor, and she asked for a 15% tip if we were happy as we settled the bill, with no previous mention. I can't believe I caved and paid, even though everyone was thrilled with the food. Sole proprietors have a responsibility to quote the fee that they need up front, tipping a sole proprietor is bs.

I don't tip for poured wine at PC clubs. The club is expensive, no special skill has been on display, and plenty of people would take that job without tips. We tip or not, and the market will sort out who stays in that job. I might feel differently if tips were shared, but I remember making all the sundaes at a fancy ice cream restaurant where six waitresses kept all the tips and gave me a dollar at the end of the night.
Old Oct 29, 2009, 8:27 am

Location: Homosassa, FL & Ringwood, NJ -UA-G(Lifetime); SPG-Plat (Lifetime)
I usually tip $1 for the first round and that's it, unless I'm stuck for an extended period and then maybe another $1 along the way.
Old Oct 29, 2009, 8:27 am

Programs: CO-PLAT, Hyatt Plat
I mean in all actuality, we the members, are paying for the bartender service already, why should we pay again?
Old Oct 29, 2009, 8:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by iansr
I mean in all actuality, we the members, are paying for the bartender service already, why should we pay again?
You are also paying the salary of the waiters and bartenders at restaurants and bars outside of airports. Based on that premise do you choose to not tip them??
Old Oct 29, 2009, 8:36 am

Programs: CO-PLAT, Hyatt Plat
No, but this is a completely different situation. Most of the bartenders get paid a decent salary at these clubs, I would almost thing that there would be a no tipping policy in place considering the cost of the membership.
Old Oct 29, 2009, 9:01 am

Programs: CO Plat, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver
I agree with iansr. The bartenders probably do get paid a good salary, and it is probably a union job. I still give a $1 a drink. It is just the right thing to do. I am sure you have been to a fundraiser with an open bar. Isn't it customary to tip the bartender there...even though you paid good money for the fundraiser?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.