Wiki Posts
Search

tipping in President's Club

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2009, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by CLEHillbilly
Hmm....I tip the bartenders but never thought about the Shower Attendants, guess I was always in a rush....I will start doing that in the future!
I leave $5 in the shower room...that way the person who actually cleans up my horrific mess likely gets the dough.
Old Oct 29, 2009, 4:15 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
My policy with bartenders is if they're serving me anything but soda it's a dollar a drink.
Old Oct 29, 2009, 4:41 pm

Programs: UA Silver, SPG Gold
I am surprised at some of the responses here. I would have thought it is common knowledge that bartenders are among those that count on tips to make decent pay (and get paid relative peanuts by their employer in lieu of that) irrespective of how apparently cushy their place of employment is.
Old Oct 29, 2009, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OMNIArchist, OMNIArchy!, OMNIIDGAS
I tip even for getting cranberry juice, now that being said I was appalled today about the piggy nature of the majority of the people in the Pclub this morning.
There is a place to return dirty dishes, there are trashcans everywhere in most PClubs. It takes all of 15 seconds to throw your apple cores, leftover butter, cheese creations and other slop to the trashcan and put it on the dirty dishes area.

I actually went around collecting this for people today because the club was busy and only two people staffing it at the time they were keeping busy checking in and working the bar. (I then went to the restroom and washed my hands throughly!)
Old Oct 29, 2009, 5:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Bonehead
I bet some of these folks don't tip their hotel maids, either. Good grief, people...there but for the grace of God go you.
Again with the housekeeping!

No personal offense intended, Bonehead, but this has been rehashed on these boards years ago, maybe even 10 years now. We had a Flyertalk survey, and something like 75-80% do NOT leave tip/ cash/ money for hotel housekeepers. It is a small minority that does. Most expect a clean room as part of the transaction.

Once in a blue moon, when someone throws a big party in a suite, then the tipping is appropriate, but mostly, it is a fee-for-service game. The cleaning of the room is included in the room rate.
Old Oct 29, 2009, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by fastflyer

No personal offense intended, Bonehead, but this has been rehashed on these boards years ago, maybe even 10 years now. We had a Flyertalk survey, and something like 75-80% do NOT leave tip/ cash/ money for hotel housekeepers. It is a small minority that does. Most expect a clean room as part of the transaction.

Once in a blue moon, when someone throws a big party in a suite, then the tipping is appropriate, but mostly, it is a fee-for-service game. The cleaning of the room is included in the room rate.
Sorry you feel that way. If the survey that you cite did indeed yield those results, I'm saddened by the abject stinginess of so many people. Stiffing hotel/motel maids...how very noble. Makes me sick.

ETA: I just checked out a number of sites on tipping etiquette. Every one says that housekeepers should be tipped.

Last edited by Bonehead; Oct 29, 2009 at 6:08 pm
Old Oct 29, 2009, 6:35 pm

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
Originally Posted by fastflyer

Most expect a clean room as part of the transaction.

Gee, then I guess you don't tip waitstaff at restaursnts, as 'most expect a meal to be served to them as part of the transaction' in those establishments as well

PS- Remember, (for the most part) you're getting free drinks, don't be chintzy--tip a buck or two!

Last edited by mauld; Oct 30, 2009 at 10:22 am
Old Oct 29, 2009, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by beckoa
I found this to be a great use of dollar coins

[Typically 1-3 coins a visit... several rounds ]

I met a fellow FTer the other week this way. Who else tips in dollar coins?
Old Oct 29, 2009, 8:43 pm

Programs: DL PM, LY Silver
Originally Posted by channa
I do!

The U.S. Mint. Greatest free miles play there is.
Old Oct 29, 2009, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by GMill
I do!

sadly, greatest free miles play there was.
Old Oct 29, 2009, 9:20 pm

a buck or two a beer is just fine. someone said it a few posts ago "it's the right thing to do." tipping threads are beaten to death but man o man there is no reason not to throw a few bucks someones way. servers are usually depending on the money and the "i only tip for good service" line does not fly with me. outside of the service industry we all get paid even if we have a bad day at work. hurts no one to tip....
Old Oct 29, 2009, 9:22 pm

i do it myself and also grab 100 worth of two dollar bills, once in a while, to use for tips.
Old Oct 29, 2009, 10:03 pm

Programs: UA 1MM (former 1K, Delta Platinum))
Originally Posted by Collins
I would have thought it is common knowledge that bartenders are among those that count on tips to make decent pay
Is anyone seriously asserting here that the Prez Club bartenders base salary is less than the cleaning staff? Or is the subtext here that the bartenders are our kind of people, but the staff aren't.

I'd tip if it were split.
Old Oct 29, 2009, 10:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by GMill
I do!

sadly, greatest free miles play there was.

Had some more Andrew Jacksons show up last night... have had decent luck (knock on wood) ordering multis on prez orders (usually only 500 a pop) so not in the vast quantities of some... (thankfully constrained by credit limit on card)...

I wouldn't be surprised if this came back in another fashion next year with the 2010 release of the Native American dollar coins... unless of course Micky & Minnie snag them all

But it is nice to have a roll and just shave a couple off for a tip - and sometimes the looks are priceless
Old Oct 30, 2009, 10:10 am

Programs: UA 1MM, UA 1K, SPG Plat, Yfirst gold, Hyatt Plat, Avis Plat.
I thought Tipping was a town in China. Just kidding, I must say tipping should be a personal choice. I tip 99.9% of the time, base tip for base service, more for special service. As for the PC bartenders, most are really great and genuinely seem to enjoy our company as much as we theirs. say thank you and leave a tip.

Last edited by infomark; Oct 30, 2009 at 10:19 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.