tipping in President's Club

Old Jun 23, 2007, 1:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CO Plat & MP 1K
tipping in President's Club

I did a search and only found information on tipping FAs. I'm curious, how much do people tip the bartenders in the PC? Do people tip the other staff, such as the bus ladies?
Old Jun 23, 2007, 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by rlbmorton
I did a search and only found information on tipping FAs. I'm curious, how much do people tip the bartenders in the PC? Do people tip the other staff, such as the bus ladies?
One buck a drink for the bartender... never tipped anyone else
Old Jun 23, 2007, 2:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by apatrol
One buck a drink for the bartender... never tipped anyone else
Yes that is what I usually do. I once asked a bartender if he shared his tips with the bus ladies. He was clearly offended by the question and answered no. But in restaurants, this is normal, right? So now I wonder about tipping the bus ladies. I also wonder if one buck a drink is the norm, seems to be ...
Old Jun 23, 2007, 4:25 pm

Programs: United 1K,Marriott Platinum Premier,IHC Platinum Ambassador,Hilton Gold
I doubt that the EWR bartenders share thier Tips with the Lisbon cleaning people or whatever you call them..
Old Jun 23, 2007, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kommissar Giga-Posting Direktor, PWP; Fasano Nouveau Aristocrat; CO Platinum; BD Gold; MR Gold
Why would anyone tip anyone other than a bartender in a P Club? It's not a restaurant and no one waits on you. Should we tip the P Club agents and the people at the desk who ask for your membership credentials, as well?

The tipping culture in this country in really getting out of control.
Old Jun 23, 2007, 9:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA just 8800 mi short of Silver
I give $5 for the first beer and none for the next 3
Old Jun 24, 2007, 12:07 am

Programs: DL MM/FC/FO; UA PS; AA GLD
After being a CRC member for years before moving to a PC membership, the tipping took me a while to get used to. However, it's something I gladly do now. In the CRC, sometimes drinks are mixed by the desk agent if the club is small and they are offended if a tip is offered. Even in the larger ones, the people behind the bar generally are not "real" bartenders, but rather "drink pourers." In the PCs I visit, the bartenders are excellent and mix great drinks.

I usually tip a buck per drink and the bartenders seem happy with that. Sometimes if I am there several hours, I will add a few more dollars to the tip jar before I leave. If I happen to be traveling during the Christmas holidays and the bartender is one I know, I will usually leave a ten or twenty on the way out. There are only two or three that fall into this category. The one or two times I have run across a surly bartender, I tip nothing. I just say thanks and wish them a good day.
Old Jun 24, 2007, 12:44 am

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Originally Posted by chasbondy
I give $5 for the first beer and none for the next 3
And then... ?
Old Jun 24, 2007, 1:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike...
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by CO 1E
Why would anyone tip anyone other than a bartender in a P Club? It's not a restaurant and no one waits on you. Should we tip the P Club agents and the people at the desk who ask for your membership credentials, as well?

The tipping culture in this country i[s] really getting out of control.
I could not agree more! Not only does everyone seem to have his hand out, people worry that they may have missed the hands of those who don't.
Old Jun 24, 2007, 7:42 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by CO 1E

The tipping culture in this country in really getting out of control.
I dont get it why anyone would tip even a bartender?Now maybe if you were ordering something that they had to make and put together. But definitely not for say a beer or booze thats straight out of a bottle or cap is removed or comes out of the auto server.

cause if you will tip the bartender then for the same drinks you should tip the FAs
Old Jun 24, 2007, 7:51 am

Now I come from NW WorldClub land where we have self serve everything (except in a few outstations where tending is mandated by local laws). So it is a bit odd when I enter a PC and see people tipping.

Generally, I don't tip. I usually only have one or two drinks and, to me, that just doesn't warrant a tip in a lounge. If I'm there for a long while, order a bunch of things for friends/acquaintances, or spend a lot of time taking with the tender, then perhaps I would consider a tip. But generally, I don't. I'm just used to not having to reach for my wallet once I'm actually in the club. That's part of the reason why I buy a membership.
Old Jun 24, 2007, 8:05 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Lifetime PLT
Originally Posted by SchmutzigMSP
Now I come from NW WorldClub land where we have self serve everything (except in a few outstations where tending is mandated by local laws). So it is a bit odd when I enter a PC and see people tipping.

Generally, I don't tip. I usually only have one or two drinks and, to me, that just doesn't warrant a tip in a lounge. If I'm there for a long while, order a bunch of things for friends/acquaintances, or spend a lot of time taking with the tender, then perhaps I would consider a tip. But generally, I don't. I'm just used to not having to reach for my wallet once I'm actually in the club. That's part of the reason why I buy a membership.
the nature of a bartending job is that they work for tips. It is especially important that you tip them when its open bar(free drinks).

I generally tip $1 or $2 per drink.
Old Jun 24, 2007, 9:13 am
Suspended

I do not understand the tipping culture in the U.S. either. Surely one should receive a tip if you go beyond what is demanded of your job. Why should a barman who serves you a drink get a tip?
Old Jun 24, 2007, 9:36 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Mofomat
I do not understand the tipping culture in the U.S. either. Surely one should receive a tip if you go beyond what is demanded of your job. Why should a barman who serves you a drink get a tip?
^ Couldn't agree more. It's the most unbelievable culture that's emerged in the US. If someone makes a special effort and actually does more than expected from them, I'll tip them something. Otherwise, it's not my problem - they should be paid more by their employer. It's as simple as that.

Taking a beer from the fridge, removing the cap and handing it to me takes about 8 seconds on average. By my calculations, that would be $450 / hr if they did it non stop and got a dollar every time
Old Jun 24, 2007, 9:42 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies! It sounds like my tipping in the PC is in line with what others (who tip) do. I will continue to tip the bartenders and not worry about the other staff. I often order a drink that has to be mixed and I find that they put effort into doing it well -- a bartender can do a bad job on this -- make things too weak, etc. As for the tipping culture in the US -- well it is the norm that has developed -- and I'm ok with it but I think that that cultural issue is something that is probably beyond the scope of this forum! But IMO in most countries that I visit where tipping is not a norm, getting good service of the type I find normal in the US is a rarity -- this is particularly true in European countries where you can wait forever for service which is paltry at best and those self serve restaurants in the UK are the pits. The big exception here is my experience in China and Japan where tipping did not seem to be expected yet service was extremely good.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.