Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

CO Captain provides a new twist on assigned seating

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CO Captain provides a new twist on assigned seating

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2001, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by JonNYC:
You're having dinner with airline pilots?
</font>
Yep. really nice guys too. They dont smoke, dont drink within 24 hours of a flight, are college educated, tell interesting stories and have lovely wives.

Actually I cant see why they put up with me. It must be my spontanous wit.

MisterNice

Old Oct 19, 2001, 4:38 pm

Spiff,

I was not born in America. I was also moved to the back of the plane last week. I did not move my carry-on. Someone else sat in my elite seat which was assigned to me weeks(not minutes) before.

I had advance reservations and was not a last minute addition scrambling for any seat like 747. Were there too many Cubans speaking spanish in my row? Am I too big? Who knows ? Who cares? I never thought about it until now. It is just an airplane seat. Get over it. Life goes on.

It was 747(not the pilot) who brought up the race card. If he really feels CAL is full of racists he can move his business elsewhere. The problem is he accused DAL, NWA and every asian airline of the same racist behavior. Here is another quote from 747:

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by B747-437B:

Drawing from my personal experiences in the Far East, I find your story to be not only plausible but also very likely. For whatever reason, non-Caucasians get treated like second class citizens. I have experienced this multiple times myself...

</font>
Old Oct 19, 2001, 8:16 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by BoSoxFan45:
..., and then go listen to some David Allen Coe, you ignorant jack***."....</font>
Hey now! No need to throw DAC under the bus. If you don't like his music you can always turn the station.

I'm sure you truly don't relate DAC and Continental Pilots to all people from Texas.

Old Oct 21, 2001, 4:50 pm

Hire an attorney and go for it!
Old Oct 21, 2001, 7:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
If you do hire an attorney (and I hope you do) I would not post any more information on here as anything you say will be used against you in every way shape and form possible by the corporate lawyers

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by LouCap:
Hire an attorney and go for it! </font>
Old Oct 21, 2001, 8:40 pm
Original Member

Location: Chattanooga, TN, USA**US Airways Gold, Marriott Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by LGA:
B747-437B, I'm sorry to read you were "screened" my some (crackerish?) CO pilot.</font>
Was it really necessary to "profile" Southerners in that comment? (Especially ironic as the victim here is a resident of Atlanta, whose Southern and Negro League baseball teams for many years were named the Crackers/Black Crackers.)
Old Oct 21, 2001, 11:13 pm
Original Poster

Some comments and clarifications.

a) No lawyers yet. I hate ambulance chasers. I don't even care about compensation. I want an apology and I want to make sure this doesn't happen to someone else. Simple.

b) I have no objection to racial profiling when it is used as a tool to unobtrusively select someone for additional scrutiny. If Broderdorf or whoever had approached me and asked for ID or for an extra security check while boarding, it would have been fine by me. But he assumed that I was guilty just because of what I looked like and accordingly went out of his way to humiliate and inconvenience me, and THAT is where he crossed the line.

c) I was already on the waitlist for the upgrade, so I would not have complained if I'd been moved to 3B. Besides, thats an aisle seat.

d) I never said I had changed airlines at the last second. I had been booked on CO for 2 weeks and had reserved my seat 5C at the time of booking.

e) I travel internationally on average 15-20 times/year. Why does that make me suspicious? I have family and business associates all over the world, so that means I get to be singled out for humiliation? Run that logic by me again....

f) The NJ State Trooper DID NOT SAY A WORD TO ME during this incident. He was probably just there as the *backup* to make sure I didn't argue or make a scene. There was no National Guard involved.

g) I had a few words with the pilot after the flight. They were "How do you spell your name?". Nothing more, nothing less. He had his chance to make good at that time, but he didn't take it.

h) When they start putting the better seats at the back of the plane, I'll start requesting those. Meanwhiles, I'm sorry if I'm not enough of a martyr for you, but I'd like to be comfortable.

i) How did I know there was a non-rev replacing me in 5C? Simple. He had a Continental ID hanging on the front of his shirt. Proof enough?

j) I was neither walk-on, nor on an international itinerary. I had seperate tickets for my JFK-LHR-JFK flight and my TPA-NYC-ATL flights. If it really must concern you, my JFK-LHR-JFK ticket was non-rev on Air India, so it wouldn't even show up in any *profile* of me.

k) I had lunch with a bunch of airline crew right before I headed out to EWR that afternoon. I've grown up as an airline brat, so I know what constitutes *suspicious behavior*. I also know what constitutes *bigotry*. My opinion is that there was more of the latter at play than the former.

l) I don't feel that CO is full of racists. I DO feel that CO has one captain who didn't use his best judgement on this occasion. If this is part of a pattern of racially discriminatory behavior either by the Captain alone or by CO employees in general is for CO to investigate and deal with for the sake of their own business.
Old Oct 22, 2001, 8:57 am
LGA

Programs: AS; AA; UA; DL; VS; BA; Nat'l Emer. Exec.; AGR
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by silverpie:
Was it really necessary to "profile" Southerners in that comment? (Especially ironic as the victim here is a resident of Atlanta, whose Southern and Negro League baseball teams for many years were named the Crackers/Black Crackers.)</font>
I absolutely was not profiling Southerners. I am from Dallas (often mistakenly thought to be the South ) and would probably live there (the South or Texas) now if their laws were more progressive (and if it weren't hot as hell). You don't seem to be allowing for "crackerish" possibly to mean more than the one meaning you know. The dictionary says: "a poor, usu. Southern white"; of course the association is with ignorance. The pilot's thoughts might be along the lines of a "cracker" even though he's not poor.

If I were to profile Southerners, the first thought would be friendlier. That's what well may draw me back there to live again one day. So if you don't like being profiled as living in a friendlier part of the U.S., too bad.
Old Oct 22, 2001, 3:52 pm

Go after them. That treatment is NOT acceptable. Not favoring litigation, I would write (not call) CO first and offer them the oppurtunity to apologize.

Good luck, and sorry you were singled out.

Freefaller12k
Old Oct 22, 2001, 7:47 pm

While I am somewhat resentful toward CO lately, I can't say this despicable incident as described by 747 is something that is institutionally endorsed by CO.

Of course, that is in no way to condone what was done, as it's hard for me to see what was happening in any other way, *particularly* in the context of the current mood and times. This incident would have been no less tolerable - and would be even more blatant if it occurred outside of the context established by fallout from 9-11.

As brethren to the pilot fraternity, I am ashamed and embarassed that one of us carried out our duly-granted empowerment in such a manner. Clearly, this shows poor judgement on the part of Broderdorf, and he should be held accountable to his actions. I don't want his rotten type infiltrating my basket.
Old Oct 23, 2001, 12:34 am
R&R

The Capt is totally responsible for the safety of the plane!
Like I said, we have NOT gotten all of the story.
I wonder what B747 was doing, that we haven't been told about to bring attention to himself. He projects onto others, what he himself is thinking and doing.

What about other passengers thinking about the situation. He is enjoying all the attention you folks are giving his post. I think it was laid on a little thick without ALL the facts.

[This message has been edited by R&R (edited 10-23-2001).]

Old Oct 23, 2001, 12:51 am
Original Member

Programs: AA-EXP/DL-Diamond/UA-100K/Hyatt-Globalist/Hilton-Diamond/Marriott-Titanium - Many more....
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by fetchem:
If you do not think unusual flight behavior on an international itenerary is suspicious, what would you suggest? Perhaps, you could create a better algorithym. Walk-ons requested seats in the front of the planes on Sept. 11. Is CAL supposed to ignore those basic facts? There are more facts to air travel than the color of one's skin. I am sorry you feel differently.

Get over it. It is just an airplane seat. CAL assigns elite seats at the time the reservation is made. If an aisle seat is that important to him, he should of made an advance reservation. Only then can he avoid those white guys in row 19...

</font>
Well your stupidity, bigotry and ignorance has been made far too obvious in your posts in this thread. Are you wearing a KKK cape and head piece while typing you a**?

1st as you cannot read. Sean booked on the CO flight and was ticketed on it as well. The later flight on DL was cancelled. If Captain Hitler had the appropriate response Sean would have been stranded by NAZI CONTINENTAL! (Continental's new slogan can now be, "Continental moving the NAZI party forward with every flight") I suggest you and your KKK buddies fly CO... After reading this I am taking my 112 accrued in the first 9 months of this year segments everywhere but CO!

You managed to mangle the facts and ignore the very cornerstone that this country stands for. (Are you our wayward facist pig captain? A facist Continental NAZI employee? or just a card carrying member of the Facist party, KKK, and local militia?)

Frankly, people like you make me sick. I certainly can hope you are not an American. You do not deserve the freedoms, rights, and protections when you are so willing to squander them with others.

Sean is a decent man, slighted by one of your type. Go crawl under your rock and suffer from your dementia in private. Sean was volunteering to help the victims of the NYC disaster when he was stranded there by the a*sholes whom came to power thru facist attitudes like yours. Where were you.. Racist pig? You are no different then the Taliban or facist Continental pilot.

Screw CO.. Sue em out of business. I think you deserve a record settlement. Then Sue the facist pilot and get his pension. He work to pay you instead of living a lifestyle he does not deserve. Let his sports car and fancy house be yours..

I am sick and tired of shallow, narrow minded facist, racists, and paranoids destroying what this country stands for...

What an ignorant, sorry excuse for a human being.

[This message has been edited by acvitale (edited 10-24-2001).]
Old Oct 23, 2001, 1:13 am
Original Member

Programs: AA-EXP/DL-Diamond/UA-100K/Hyatt-Globalist/Hilton-Diamond/Marriott-Titanium - Many more....
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by R&R:
The Capt is totally responsible for the safety of the plane!
Like I said, we have NOT gotten all of the story.
I wonder what B747 was doing, that we haven't been told about to bring attention to himself. He projects onto others, what he himself is thinking and doing.

What about other passengers thinking about the situation. He is enjoying all the attention you folks are giving his post. I think it was laid on a little thick without ALL the facts.

[This message has been edited by R&R (edited 10-23-2001).]
</font>
Well another idiot speaks...

I have flown with Sean on over 50 segments this year (domestically). Other then the fact we are generally the only folks in a suit and tie while surrounded by the great unwashed masses in cut off daisy dukes and bare mid-driff tops the only thing that does stand out besides his perfect oxford style english (a **** sight better then most a*s backwards KKK facist pigs) and his extreme politeness towards those around him is his darker skin and Indian subcontinent features. You wanna make a go of rationizing discrimination? Try it... Fact is that maybe the reason he has had more incidents is that we are becoming racist pigs and he actually is flying more then the majority of the posters whom have had their wings clipped since September 11th or never really flew at all and just fantasized while earning their Kelloggs miles and wondering why they don't earn enough points for Platnium Golden God status on a 198 round trip coast to coast with 30 double bonus mile offers!

Sorry, your stone is unturned. You wannna play? Fine... But, Sean is a better man then you will ever hope to be.. No matter how you want to color it... It is racist, It is descrimination, and frankly he should sue Continental and the pilot until it hurts sooooo bad that they will never look at a person of a different culture with paranoid, facist behaviour again... And if you cannot get that thru your small minded attitude then you do not deserve to be an American, This country is based on freedoms and lack of discrimination. If you want to discriminate and take away freedoms then I invite you to join the Taliban where you might feel at home.

Old Oct 23, 2001, 2:23 am
Suspended

Um, I don't agree in the slightest with what those two folks said either-- but do ya' think you could tone down those two posts a bit? This isn't Omni after all...

NOT saying strong criticism isn't warranted, but frankly this is more ugly name-calling than I've seen here. "Two wrongs.." that type of thing?
Old Oct 23, 2001, 9:42 am

Programs: SPEBSQSA
As with everyone else, I am appalled that such a thing occurred. IMHO, this is exactly what the terrorists want to happen they want us to turn on ourselves.

Coincidentally, there was an article in the October 14, 2001 Arizona Republic that has advice for Middle Eastern-looking passengers. Some of these, 747 already did, but the others may be beneficial for the future.
  • Cooperate to the best of your ability
  • Stay patient with the airline authority
  • Ask to meet with an airline representative
  • Ask for alternative travel plans
  • File a complaint with the federal Department of Transportation and Arab-America organizations

Also recommended were:

Finally, complaints can be filed as follows:

I hope you find this information helpful.

- Bob

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.