Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

CO Captain provides a new twist on assigned seating

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CO Captain provides a new twist on assigned seating

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2001, 9:43 am
Suspended

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Speeedyyy:
kanebear- Being a blond haired, albeit green eyed, Muslim I find your comments to be truly insulting. People seem to think that some Muslim couldn't be a high rev. customer for an airline or anyone more important than racist people like you. Well....suprise! I have a Centurion Card, Northwest Plat elite, Cedar Miles Pres, Frequence Plus Rouge, etc. I also happen to be from Lebanon where a variety of Christians hijacked planes, blew up mosques, and lots of other nice things. And, since I am a US citizen I can easily change my name and wear a cross if I really wanted to blow up a plane (which I have NO interest in at all). Any passenger could be a McVeigh, a black panther, or a Muslim radical. Get a life and crawl back into the whole where you came from!</font>
I think this represents a deliberate misreading of kanebear's comments-- the major thrust of which was:

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">
Terrorists come in all shapes, sizes and colors
</font>
Speeedyyy, I think you should alter your post-- it's really inappropriate.

Old Oct 17, 2001, 9:51 am

There is absolutely NO reason you should have been forced to move from your seat at row 5.

If your name or similar name appeared on the FBI Watch List, you would have been removed completely from the aircraft.

If your name or something similar did not appear on the Watch List, then there would have been no reason to move you.

What were they thinking? If you were a terrorist and you were further back in the cabin in a center seat, you would not have been able to perform any terrorist act!?

This type of discrimination is completely uncalled for and unjustified. Were I in your place, I'd contact a lawyer, too.
Old Oct 17, 2001, 10:08 am
LGA

Programs: AS; AA; UA; DL; VS; BA; Nat'l Emer. Exec.; AGR
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by kanebear:
...A few polite, yet pointed questions can unearth a world of information. Works every day for El Al.</font>
I don't know that I would give as much credit for perceptiveness to a CO pilot in a spontaneous security screening as to an El Al employee whose full-time job is to screen.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Terrorists come in all shapes, sizes and colors... there are blonde haired, blue eyed Muslims out there shouting Death to America right along with all the rest.</font>
I think it's politically incorrect but naive to ignore the consistencies - appearance, age, whatever - in anything. Look at car insurance - totally ageist, but it makes sense because young people are more likely to have accidents. (BTW, this one works against me financially.) Just facts and probability.
Old Oct 17, 2001, 10:23 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by LGA:
I think it's politically incorrect but naive to ignore the consistencies - appearance, age, whatever - in anything. Look at car insurance - totally ageist, but it makes sense because young people are more likely to have accidents. (BTW, this one works against me financially.) Just facts and probability.</font>
It's called profiling -- profiling has questionable legality and at the very least is distasteful, especially if it's based solely on skin color and no other indicia. Profiling is objectionable enough if it's performed by law enforcement personnel -- it's also of dubious validity and effectiveness if performed by people with no real qualification (e.g., a pilot).

As an aside, don't people think that Congressman John Cooksey (R. LA)'s statement regarding people who "wear diaper on his head" is morally repugnant? He was talking about racial profiling.
Old Oct 17, 2001, 10:58 am

Programs: Bah, HUMBUG!
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Speeedyyy:
kanebear- Being a blond haired, albeit green eyed, Muslim I find your comments to be truly insulting. People seem to think that some Muslim couldn't be a high rev. customer for an airline or anyone more important than racist people like you. Well....suprise!</font>
Sir Speed,

Turn down the self-righteousness control for a second and re-read my post carefully. In no way did I denigrate Muslims of any appearance. It has NOTHING to do with high-rev, low-rev, no rev. You missed my point entirely.

What I said was that the captain is an idiot for assuming someone of a certain appearance was a probable threat, and that Muslims are not all of one appearance (which most Americans assume). You are proof of my statement.

The unfortunate reason why I must single out Islamic terrorists, and don't mention others (Basque separatists, IRA and their factions) is because the current atrocities which opened the eyes of America were committed in the name of Islam. Basque separatists didn't do this, Black Panthers didn't do this, Christian Fundamentalists didn't do this, and the IRA didn't do this.

I know this is not your religion, that it is not a reflection on Islam as a whole, and that these events are a grotesque perversion and manipulation of your religion. I also know (or rather sincerely hope) you deplore these incidents as much as I do.

As far as you having a Centurion card, and a NWA Plat card... congrats on the former as it took me forever to get one and I feel for you for having to fly NW that much on the latter!
Old Oct 17, 2001, 11:20 am

Programs: Bah, HUMBUG!
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by kishna:
As an aside, don't people think that Congressman John Cooksey (R. LA)'s statement regarding people who "wear diaper on his head" is morally repugnant? He was talking about racial profiling.</font>
The same state that elected him almost elected David Duke... 'nuff said
Old Oct 17, 2001, 11:44 am

Programs: UAL 1P, Starwood Gold, Hertz #1 Club Gold
kanebear, sorry for the miscommunication. I only ask you to understand that a bunch of my friends have been refused boarding because they made other passengers "uncomfortable." I'm probably too high on the defensive, but if you read some of the posts about incidents of how people have been treated (or knew how I've been treated)....maybe you would understand why I am ready to lug someone (not you). Sorry if my post was rude...and yes NWA s**** a***.
Old Oct 17, 2001, 12:01 pm

Speedy I resent the comment about NW, this incident happened on a CO flight
Old Oct 17, 2001, 12:10 pm
R&R

I am not sure, we have all the facts here!

Extraordinary times, require extraordinary cooperation without taking things personally. Yes, we are all under stress and don't like what is going on.

I have had to accept things, that I believe are uncalled for. I see NO reason to add to the stress prolonging the situation. There are times to just move on until the 'smoke' clears!

Just my 10 cents worth. This are troubled times and new rules are being put in place.

Old Oct 17, 2001, 12:25 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by B747-437B:
This is my second unpleasant travel experience since September 11 (the previous one was on Delta at JFK) ....</font>
Sorry to hear about your bad experiences...and I must say, you handled them exceptionally well.

Just one question: how many other flights have you been on since 9/11?
Old Oct 17, 2001, 1:08 pm

Location: Smoke filled room, TPA and FLL/MIA :UAL 1K and 2MM,AA EX PLAT and 2MM,Lifetime Plat Starwood
B747, as I told you yesterday... I wished you would have said very loudly:

"Oh I guess only white people can sit at the front of the bus, with you flying captain... where do you keep your hood? the overhead bins? Ever heard of Rosa Parks? or just the trailer park where you grew up? free at last... yeah right... not with klan boy flying us."
Old Oct 17, 2001, 1:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
There is something I don't understand;

If you were such a threat to the flight, why not deny boarding to you? If you were such a flight the State cop should have taken you off the flight right?

However they didn't think you were a threat or they would not have let you on, that being the case, there was no reason to move you from 5C to begin with. Or what am I missing here?

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by B747-437B:
I flew last night on CO 1155 from EWR-ATL. In anticipation of a non-upgrade, I pre-reserved the next best thing to First Class, namely the lovely bulkhead aisle seat 5C on the 733.

I clambered aboard the flight and took my assigned seat, delighted to find that 5B next to me was empty. Excellent. I will have both legroom AND elbow room available. ****, I love Continental.

Alas, no. I made the big mistake of assuming that a brown-skinned person can actually travel unfettered in a free country. Just about the time that the doors are due to close, I am approached by our captain for the evening accompanied by a CO gate agent and a NJ State Trooper.

Spoke Captain Daniel Broderdorf (CLE 737 base); "You are going to have to move from this seat". "Where to?", ask I, ever willing to be helpful. "Somewhere at the back", replies Broderdorf. I look at the empty 5B next to me and ask "How about here?". "No, I said at the back".

I stand up and spy an empty aisle seat 20C open. I decide to be compliant and reach to collect my personal items that had been stowed in the seat pocket at 5C. "No", says Capt. Broderdorf, "JUST YOU. I'll let you have those things once we land safely. Now go sit in 19B."

"What about 20C?", ask I. "No", comes the reply, "I said 19B". Of course the denizens of 19A and 19C happened to be two rather large Caucasian males who were spilling rather uncomfortably into the hiterto vacant 19B. To add insult to injury, Capt. Broderdorf proceeded to install a non-revving Continental employee into seat 5C with a rather audible "Thanks".

I was very tempted to kick up a fuss at this point, but being that this was the last flight out for the day and that I hadn't seen home in 2 weeks, I figured that discretion was the best part of valor and shut up. However, I did make it very clear to Captain Broderdorf once he had safely delivered my very uncomfortable squashed body to Atlanta that I did not appreciate his actions and that he would be hearing from someone in management about my views on his behavior. He shrugged. I guess he does this regularly enough that he isn't particularly concerned.

This is my second unpleasant travel experience since September 11 (the previous one was on Delta at JFK) and while I appreciate the need for security, is the world really a safer place because Captain Broderdorf decided to abuse the power vested in him? You be the judge.

Oh, and please don't bother to respond if you want to contribute any of the following responses :

a) "There are 6000 people dead and you complain about THIS!"
b) "Think about the poor CHILDREN!"
c) "Don't you realize that we are at WAR!"
d) Anything containing the words "towel" or "head" or any combination thereof.

All other comments and suggestions are welcomed.
</font>
Old Oct 17, 2001, 1:52 pm

B-747...I hope you are in touch with Gordon Bethune a good attorney or both. That is an awful story. I don't believe how you stayed so calm.

------------------
speedbird001
Old Oct 17, 2001, 1:57 pm
sim

747 did an excellent job of keeping his cool. Had he been rude or arguementative he probably would have been looking for another flight home. But I would most definitely not keep my mouth shut now that I arrived home. Newspapers, Congressmen and airline would all hear about it good and loud.
Old Oct 17, 2001, 2:04 pm

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
Well, NWA treated sean like s@#*# in TPA as well....

Sean, how about flying my airline? Our elite status gives you EXTRA legroom when you can't get upgraded to FIRST class :-) :-)

-nate

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.