Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

CO Captain provides a new twist on assigned seating

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2001, 5:38 am
Original Poster

I flew last night on CO 1155 from EWR-ATL. In anticipation of a non-upgrade, I pre-reserved the next best thing to First Class, namely the lovely bulkhead aisle seat 5C on the 733.

I clambered aboard the flight and took my assigned seat, delighted to find that 5B next to me was empty. Excellent. I will have both legroom AND elbow room available. ****, I love Continental.

Alas, no. I made the big mistake of assuming that a brown-skinned person can actually travel unfettered in a free country. Just about the time that the doors are due to close, I am approached by our captain for the evening accompanied by a CO gate agent and a NJ State Trooper.

Spoke Captain Daniel Broderdorf (CLE 737 base); "You are going to have to move from this seat". "Where to?", ask I, ever willing to be helpful. "Somewhere at the back", replies Broderdorf. I look at the empty 5B next to me and ask "How about here?". "No, I said at the back".

I stand up and spy an empty aisle seat 20C open. I decide to be compliant and reach to collect my personal items that had been stowed in the seat pocket at 5C. "No", says Capt. Broderdorf, "JUST YOU. I'll let you have those things once we land safely. Now go sit in 19B."

"What about 20C?", ask I. "No", comes the reply, "I said 19B". Of course the denizens of 19A and 19C happened to be two rather large Caucasian males who were spilling rather uncomfortably into the hiterto vacant 19B. To add insult to injury, Capt. Broderdorf proceeded to install a non-revving Continental employee into seat 5C with a rather audible "Thanks".

I was very tempted to kick up a fuss at this point, but being that this was the last flight out for the day and that I hadn't seen home in 2 weeks, I figured that discretion was the best part of valor and shut up. However, I did make it very clear to Captain Broderdorf once he had safely delivered my very uncomfortable squashed body to Atlanta that I did not appreciate his actions and that he would be hearing from someone in management about my views on his behavior. He shrugged. I guess he does this regularly enough that he isn't particularly concerned.

This is my second unpleasant travel experience since September 11 (the previous one was on Delta at JFK) and while I appreciate the need for security, is the world really a safer place because Captain Broderdorf decided to abuse the power vested in him? You be the judge.

Oh, and please don't bother to respond if you want to contribute any of the following responses :

a) "There are 6000 people dead and you complain about THIS!"
b) "Think about the poor CHILDREN!"
c) "Don't you realize that we are at WAR!"
d) Anything containing the words "towel" or "head" or any combination thereof.

All other comments and suggestions are welcomed.
Old Oct 17, 2001, 6:29 am
Original Member

Location: In protest of Flyertalk's uncalledfor censoring of my point of view, I cancelled my InsideFlyer subscription. So long, and thanks for everything.
I think you acted admirabily under the circumstances, and should immediately contact CO's management.

If you have not left anything out of the story, I'm sure that the airlines supervisory personnel will issue an apology to you, and then some.
Old Oct 17, 2001, 6:44 am

I got the short version earlier and that upset me and now I get the whole version. Im simply sick! All I can say is nail them to the wall! What a disgrace. I just wonder what kind of info they put into the PNR..
WHo knows when u call corp and they pulll the record, their response well you were to sit in 5..... and we have no other info that says otherwise!! Keep us posted !
Old Oct 17, 2001, 7:00 am

Programs: AA EXP 10MM, BA GLD, SPG PLT, HH D
B747:

You had your boarding pass issued by CO and were in the seat assigned? You passed THEIR airline security checkpoint? You most likely have some type of "status"? You should have refused to move on the basis that you are being singled out and discriminated against. You should have been given a reason by the NJ State Trooper as well. In fact, if the authorities assist the airline in violating your civil rights, which is still illegal in this nation, they are just as responsible as the airline.

I personally would have refused to move my seat. PERIOD. But you complied (probably the correct decision). You should immediately contact an attorney and file a suit against the airline, the captain, and the authorities for civil rights violations. You should also file a complaint with the Justice Department and contact the media. (The airlines hate bad press)

Enough is enough. If it happens to you, it could happen to me or anyone else.

It is important that you take the legal steps and forget about writing a letter to CO. The only time they learn is when legal steps are taken.

Just imagine CO was just give almost $400 million of your tax dollars to violate your rights. Their arrogance never ends.....
Old Oct 17, 2001, 7:33 am

Incredible. Truly, truly sad. CO should get nailed for this. Complain to CO and demand SERIOUS compensation for this. Complain to DOT. Heck, call the local media. News outlets have been publishing lots of reports of discrimination against Arab Americans. It would be a good way to publicize CO's shameful treatment, assuming someone agrees to pick up your story.
Old Oct 17, 2001, 7:34 am
Original Member

Location: Tucson, Southern Arizona, North America, Western Hemisphere, The Earth, a small planet in the solar system. Previously OnePass Infinite Platinum Elite, now over entitled 1K
I find this account very disturbing, perhaps if Captain Broderdorf doesn't feel safe in his current occupation he should step aside and give an opportunity to another pilot who is willing to perform his duties with the respect due to all passengers of a common carrier.
Old Oct 17, 2001, 7:49 am
JRF

Programs: DL Flying Colonel
I would not complain to CO, I would call a lawyer and file a civil rights law suit against CO and the pilot personally. If you have given us all the facts, CO should loose their license!
Old Oct 17, 2001, 7:54 am

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Plat for Life, SPG Plat, United Silver, given up on Skypesos for good
Agree. This should be discussed with a lawyer. If you had been upgraded would they have asked you to move to coach?

Another example of alleged security measures that provide no additional security.
Old Oct 17, 2001, 7:59 am

B747, that is awful to say the least. I would contact an attorney as well. I agree you had cleared all the proper procedures, as well as being assigned that seat by the airline. I've been accused of stealing first class seats, and such, but nothing ever as crazy as what happened to you. Even though it's not my fault I'm truly sorry for what happened to you.
Old Oct 17, 2001, 8:35 am

This is such a sad experience as well, I'm sure, as embarrassing and annoying to you. I'm not sure what an attorney could do for you, though, given the wide powers that a captain has on a plane, especially because he overtly did not give a reason for his unreasonable demand. I do think that alerting the media and complaining publicly to CO will help in EMBARRASSING them. Good luck to you. Please update us on whatever comes out of this
Old Oct 17, 2001, 8:53 am

Programs: Bah, HUMBUG!
This was handled horribly. If the captain had security concerns, he should've come up to you and politely asked to have a word with you. I can understand his concerns but he should've been able to allay his fears with a short conversation. A few polite, yet pointed questions can unearth a world of information. Works every day for El Al.

Had that been me in the left seat, I would've come back, greeted you politely, asked to see some ID, asked about your citizenship, what you did, where you lived, and a few other general questions. While that isn't a perfect security screening, singling you out because you happen to not be bleche-white and look a certain way is much less of one, in addition to being racist and idiotic.

Terrorists come in all shapes, sizes and colors... there are blonde haired, blue eyed Muslims out there shouting Death to America right along with all the rest.
Old Oct 17, 2001, 8:58 am

Programs: Alaska MVP; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)
And then we're told they hate us because of the freedoms we have in this country...
Old Oct 17, 2001, 9:04 am

Programs: UAL 1P, Starwood Gold, Hertz #1 Club Gold
kanebear- Being a blond haired, albeit green eyed, Muslim I find your comments to be truly insulting. People seem to think that some Muslim couldn't be a high rev. customer for an airline or anyone more important than racist people like you. Well....suprise! I have a Centurion Card, Northwest Plat elite, Cedar Miles Pres, Frequence Plus Rouge, etc. I also happen to be from Lebanon where a variety of Christians hijacked planes, blew up mosques, and lots of other nice things. And, since I am a US citizen I can easily change my name and wear a cross if I really wanted to blow up a plane (which I have NO interest in at all). Any passenger could be a McVeigh, a black panther, or a Muslim radical. Get a life and crawl back into the whole where you came from!
Old Oct 17, 2001, 9:11 am

Programs: Alaska MVP; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Speeedyyy:
kanebear- Being a blond haired, albeit green eyed, Muslim I find your comments to be truly insulting. People seem to think that some Muslim couldn't be a high rev. customer for an airline or anyone more important than racist people like you. Well....suprise! I have a Centurion Card, Northwest Plat elite, Cedar Miles Pres, Frequence Plus Rouge, etc. I also happen to be from Lebanon where a variety of Christians hijacked planes, blew up mosques, and lots of other nice things. And, since I am a US citizen I can easily change my name and wear a cross if I really wanted to blow up a plane (which I have NO interest in at all). Any passenger could be a McVeigh, a black panther, or a Muslim radical. Get a life and crawl back into the whole where you came from!</font>
I think you've taken those comments way too personally. While your concerns are valid and have echoed in forums in the past, I don't think the intention of the previous poster was to classify all blonde, blue eyed muslims as monsters.
In fact, on a second reading of your post, it seems like a deliberate attempt at being inflammatory, of which I think we've seen way too much of on these boards lately. It is this type of one-dimensional reading/ thinking which gives rise to circumstances that the original poster is talking about.
Meanwhile, welcome to Flyertalk.

[This message has been edited by knit-in (edited 10-17-2001).]
Old Oct 17, 2001, 9:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
All I can say is What an A**Hole !!!

Of course I'm refering to Capt AHole

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.