Wiki Posts
Search

Really? Is CO this bad?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2011, 9:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC, SK *G, Hyatt GP Courtesy Card
Really? Is CO this bad?

Sorry for the provocative title, but.. really?

I had to get a ticket in Y for work and want to upgrade to A/F with cash, so I've been trying to call CO since 2pm today.. it's now 10:30pm.

I keep getting the "due to high call volumes" etc ever since. Is there really no way for people wanting to spend money to actually reach the airline?

I understand this issue came up when they axed some call center staff, but still, I find this to be a disgrace, and I really hope there's somewhere in the CO network I can spend money?
Old Aug 25, 2011, 9:44 pm
eap

Programs: AS MVP 75K, UA 1MM
Have you taken a look at the weather? If not, http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/#IRENE may explain why the call volume may be high right now...
Old Aug 25, 2011, 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by natkraft
Sorry for the provocative title, but.. really?

I had to get a ticket in Y for work and want to upgrade to A/F with cash, so I've been trying to call CO since 2pm today.. it's now 10:30pm.

I keep getting the "due to high call volumes" etc ever since. Is there really no way for people wanting to spend money to actually reach the airline?

I understand this issue came up when they axed some call center staff, but still, I find this to be a disgrace, and I really hope there's somewhere in the CO network I can spend money?
You do know that they just opened up the travel waivers for every airport on the east coast this afternoon? Call volume is going to be a little bit high.

You should be able to upgrade for cash on the Co website.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 9:46 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum
I'd imagine the whole "hurricane headed to the Eastern Seaboard" might have something to do with it.

If you're ticketed why not go online and try the upgrade option (it will be either cash or miles) If a seat is available you can do it there and avoid having to call.

Not defending CO but it seems a little ridiculous that you would find it a disgrace that they aren't picking up the phone and you haven't even heard about whats going on over on the East Coast
Old Aug 25, 2011, 9:51 pm
Original Poster

So yes, I know what is going on over on the east coast, and I've had to change some flights due to it on AAnother AAirline, as well as BA and both picked up the line within a minute. I will admit that I hold status there so that may change the outcome somewhat.

While I can understand that that is the case, it won't let me upgrade online (trust me, I tried.. It says I need to call in).

I actually got through once, around 3hrs ago, and used the 'call me back' option. The automated voice said they'd call back in 1.5hrs.. Well, it's been 3, that's why I'm slightly upset.

I just hope this isn't usual for them after the cutbacks, since after all out of KAUS there's only a few viable options, some more than others depending on where you are going.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 10:00 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
I actually got through once, around 3hrs ago, and used the 'call me back' option. The automated voice said they'd call back in 1.5hrs.. Well, it's been 3, that's why I'm slightly upset.
I used the call me back feature for the first time two days ago. It worked like a charm. I even missed their call and robotron called back a few minutes later!
Old Aug 25, 2011, 10:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by anc-ord772
I used the call me back feature for the first time two days ago. It worked like a charm. I even missed their call and robotron called back a few minutes later!
Thanks, I guess I should just wait and hope it comes through then!
Old Aug 25, 2011, 10:03 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
So yes, I know what is going on over on the east coast, and I've had to change some flights due to it on AAnother AAirline, as well as BA and both picked up the line within a minute. I will admit that I hold status there so that may change the outcome somewhat.

While I can understand that that is the case, it won't let me upgrade online (trust me, I tried.. It says I need to call in).

I just hope this isn't usual for them after the cutbacks, since after all out of KAUS there's only a few viable options, some more than others depending on where you are going.
Does AA/BA have hubs on the east coast?

As a realistic answer, CO onshores their res calls and their res agents get comissions. Higher cost, fewer of them. UA outsources most calls overseas and no comissions along with cheaper labor. More agents, less product knowledge. There is an upside and a dowside to both. Be careful what you wish for, as their are usually associated costs that come along with your dreams.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 10:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
CO takes about 30 minutes to answer the phone during normal operations. What do you think a storm waiver for the entire east coast is going to result in?

Originally Posted by fastair
AA/MQ has about 200 flights/day at each LGA and JFK.

Last edited by mduell; Aug 25, 2011 at 10:27 pm
Old Aug 25, 2011, 11:17 pm

Programs: *G, UA Plat, Hertz Pres
Just called in now, ~2 minutes on wait although I'm Plat... :-)
Old Aug 25, 2011, 11:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
Originally Posted by fastair

Between their ops at JFK and LGA, they pretty much do.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 11:29 pm
Original Poster

they finally called me back and I'm no longer flying whY

Service once you got someone on the phone was great though, I have to admit that.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 11:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
As 1K, I have never waited more than 2 min to get the call through UA, even when there is a major snow storm in ORD, BOS, IAD.

Many CO Plat said that whenever there is some weather related issue, their calls sometimes simply got disconnected.

Seriously, why does CO hang up on their top elites??

Never understand that.
Old Aug 26, 2011, 5:54 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
Originally Posted by kb1992
Many CO Plat said that whenever there is some weather related issue, their calls sometimes simply got disconnected.

Seriously, why does CO hang up on their top elites??

Never understand that.
Examples, please? I've never had that happen to me and I have not read that here. Could have missed it though.
Old Aug 27, 2011, 6:56 pm

Programs: United 1K,Marriott Platinum Premier,IHC Platinum Ambassador,Hilton Gold
This is one of the more sillier posts..I dont think UA/CO focus is on you getting an upgrade today..I think its more about taking care of a natural disatser..Duh..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.