Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New livery sighting

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2011, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by sbm12
I think that you both (along with all the other naysayers and marketing folks who wish they worked at UA these days) are in for disappointment.
Getting past whether one likes or dislikes the livery, and trying to speak objectively here (not easy of course)...

As someone who's "in the business" so to speak, I find it hilarious that the "Brand Marketing Managing Director" for the company can talk about it as a "new identity", "new branding", "visual representation of the new United", etc.

I'm sorry, there's just nothing new about it, it is literally just a combination of an existing livery and (no joke) an MS Word-created fontstyle (not custom, as originally announced) for a different logo on said livery.

It was done to save $, that was clearly the #1 goal - that's their choice, fine. But it's not a "new identity".
Old Feb 25, 2011, 12:41 pm

Programs: UA 1k & MillM
Originally Posted by jlemon
As mentioned in a previous thread, the current UACO livery will most likely prove to be an interim measure with a new livery being introduced after the merger is completely consummated. I believe it's only a matter of time.
I was talking long term here.
Did you by "interim" mean to say that it eventually will be replaced in the long term (where long term obviously imply after the merger is completed)?
Old Feb 25, 2011, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Lightbulb

I think that you both (along with all the other naysayers and marketing folks who wish they worked at UA these days) are in for disappointment.
Precisely.

For the bvious-impared, this says it all:
Combining Uniteds name and Continentals globe logo preserves the heritage of both companies and keeps two strong elements that are familiar to our customers.
Before you go saying it's a boneheaded move, read that again and think about it. Every customer will see something familiar in the way the new company presents itself.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by reinballe
Did you by "interim" mean to say that it eventually will be replaced in the long term (where long term obviously imply after the merger is completed)?
Yes. I think the current livery incorporating the CO paint scheme with the globe and United name will be around for quite some time.

However, at some point (and this could be quite a few years from now), I also think there will be a new livery introduced. Simply my opinion, of course....

It's interesting to note the number of times that DL has changed their livery in the recent past. And it's also interesting to note how long the current AA livery has been around.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 3:18 pm

Programs: UA 1k & MillM
Yes. I think the current livery incorporating the CO paint scheme with the globe and United name will be around for quite some time.
Ok. So you are saying that airlines change liveries once in a while. I think we can agree on that one.

I just don't think there is anything "interim" about the new livery.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by channa
It's so ridiculous, the only rationalization that some can believe is that it's an interim measure.
If the definition of "interim" includes "for the next 10 years," then yes,
I agree with you.... it's an interim measure.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K

Of course they're going to say that. Do you really think they're going to come out and say this is a short-term deal?

They'll have to have an excuse when they change it up -- some sort of modernization or reinvention or whatever. I'm sure they'll think of something and send a Rah! Rah! note to the troops, much like this COmmunication.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 4:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by xyzzy
Before you go saying it's a boneheaded move, read that again and think about it. Every customer will see something familiar in the way the new company presents itself.

Either something familiar or something COnflicting.

How would the Golden Arches look with the words "Burger King" underneath them? Familiar? Or conflicting?

That, too, would be a boneheaded move.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 5:07 pm

As others here have pointed out, the selected "hybrid" livery retains elements of both merger partners, and was likely reasoned to be the fastest (and probably least expensive) way to re-brand 700+ aircraft in the shortest period of time.

As far as how long it's going to be around, odds are high that it will be used at least until the new wide-body aircraft enter the fleet, older models get put out to pasture, and the overall composition of the fleet going forward is finalized.
Old Feb 26, 2011, 1:45 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Silver, Marriott Platinum
747 seen at SFO

2/13 - in CPH saw a newly painted plane with United on the side and the blue globe

2/26 - Was just at SFO earlier and saw a 747 painted with the new logo parked away from the terminals.
Old Feb 26, 2011, 6:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus

How would the Golden Arches look with the words "Burger King" underneath them? Familiar? Or conflicting?

If McDonalds and Burger King were merging and retaining the name Burger King, that would n:rolleyest be as crazy an idea as you seem to think it is.
Old Feb 26, 2011, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Getting past whether one likes or dislikes the livery, and trying to speak objectively here (not easy of course)...

As someone who's "in the business" so to speak, I find it hilarious that the "Brand Marketing Managing Director" for the company can talk about it as a "new identity", "new branding", "visual representation of the new United", etc.

I'm sorry, there's just nothing new about it, it is literally just a combination of an existing livery and (no joke) an MS Word-created fontstyle (not custom, as originally announced) for a different logo on said livery.

It was done to save $, that was clearly the #1 goal - that's their choice, fine. But it's not a "new identity".
It's not and it is. It's not new creations, but it forms a new identity.

Because it's such a boneheaded move.

It'd be like McDonald's with the Taco Bell bell. It's so ridiculous, the only rationalization that some can believe is that it's an interim measure.
What's the McDonald's with the Taco Bell? Or is that related to your post below (see comment there)

Originally Posted by xyzzy
Precisely.

For the bvious-impared, this says it all:

Agreed

However, at some point (and this could be quite a few years from now), I also think there will be a new livery introduced. Simply my opinion, of course....

It's interesting to note the number of times that DL has changed their livery in the recent past. And it's also interesting to note how long the current AA livery has been around.
Yes, airlines do change liveries, some more often than others; others "refresh" every so often. That has no connection to whether or not they will change the livery soon, and use this as an interim. I think many on this board hoped this would be interim, and at the beginning, I was one of them. But I didn't think therefore they would do that. It's just not justified in the cost

Of course they're going to say that. Do you really think they're going to come out and say this is a short-term deal?

They'll have to have an excuse when they change it up -- some sort of modernization or reinvention or whatever. I'm sure they'll think of something and send a Rah! Rah! note to the troops, much like this COmmunication.
Why wouldn't they say that? That doesn't make them look bad; say this is a short term look as they plan rolling out their new livery. Nothing wrong with that (if that were the case)

While I see the analogy here, as much as people have come attached the tulip, the tulip did not have nearly the recognition that the golden arches have. That's recognized by virtually every single one of the 6 billion+ people in the world in every corner of every country. That's one of the most, if not the most, globally recognized icon. It doesn't even compare to the tulip; heck, it's not even in the same league!
Old Feb 26, 2011, 6:06 pm

Programs: CO Plat(soon Premier Gold) PC lifetime(UC Life?) SPG Plat(Soon Gold)
I saw UA A320 (or 319) with new livery at MCO.
I believe it was a flight to ORD.
Old Feb 27, 2011, 3:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K AA EXP
Originally Posted by Scott6067
Had a ERJ145 of XJT come to BNA the other day. From what I could see and tell, the UA name was simply a sticker. The engines had been painted over and the operated by XJT writen by the door. Thought it odd as this is the only bird I have seen like this in the last few months.
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Noticed it last month. Says cheap skate to me..

I was on a Q400 yesterday and it was clearly a sticker. It even had a wringle in it from an air bubble or something. I reached and felt it and you can clearly see the edge like a sticker. I was surprised. I was under the impression all the aircraft were going to be painted??? From the gate you can not tell.
Old Mar 5, 2011, 10:17 am

Programs: No status anywhere :(
I still think pulling the plug on the United Connection software was a bigger deal than giving up the tulip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.