Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New livery sighting

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2011, 10:53 pm

Programs: UA 1k MM, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by reinballe
For all those poor people who had their life ruined by the new livery...
...it must be painful to realize that the best remedy is for them to seek refuge inside the aircraft.
Flew a UA A320 Vers.2 in the new livery yesterday, SJD-LAX and I agree. Nice change and E+ included. Suited me.
Old Feb 23, 2011, 11:00 pm

Programs: Previously 5 year AS Gold 75, UA MM Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by channa
...It's an insult to the marketing departments at both airline, and the entire marketing and branding indsutry.
That seems a little dramatic...they simply saved time and money by going with the better look...and the one that better represents the new #1 in the world (or on the globe, however you want to look at it).
Old Feb 24, 2011, 12:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by emcsweeney
That seems a little dramatic...they simply saved time and money by going with the better look...and the one that better represents the new #1 in the world (or on the globe, however you want to look at it).
That's exactly my point. They picked the cheaper deployment without consideration to brand, and they squandered an opportunity to do it right by coming up with something new.
Old Feb 24, 2011, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
That's exactly my point. They picked the cheaper deployment without consideration to brand, and they squandered an opportunity to do it right by coming up with something new.
Ah, the price of oil is now north of $100 a barrel.

And you know what that means with regard to the price of Jet A.

So it appears you are taking issue with the decision by UCH to save quite a bit of money by not immediately rolling out a new livery.

I think the new UA made the right decision here given the history of financial performance by the airline industry.
Old Feb 24, 2011, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by jlemon
Ah, the price of oil is now north of $100 a barrel.

And you know what that means with regard to the price of Jet A.

So it appears you are taking issue with the decision by UCH to save quite a bit of money by not immediately rolling out a new livery.

I think the new UA made the right decision here given the history of financial performance by the airline industry.
With oil north of $100 per barrel, why not order the stickers for the legacy CO aircraft, and then keep the UA aircraft in the same livery? Think of all the money they will be spending to repaint the fleet. Seems like they could better invest that money into premium cabins.
Old Feb 24, 2011, 9:39 am
Suspended

Programs: Continental Gold Elite, United Premier Executive
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
With oil north of $100 per barrel, why not order the stickers for the legacy CO aircraft, and then keep the UA aircraft in the same livery? Think of all the money they will be spending to repaint the fleet. Seems like they could better invest that money into premium cabins.
1. It'd be markedly MORE expensive for UACO to try to upkeep two (or three) distinct liveries for an extended period of time.

2. No matter the price of oil, many of old UA's longhaul birds are generally in poor shape -- and not just in the cabin -- so moolah will get spent on that regardless.
Old Feb 24, 2011, 3:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K

Nice image from CO twitter stream: http://bit.ly/hBj63l
Old Feb 24, 2011, 5:04 pm

But that's exactly what happened! He said he and Glenn agreed to it without input from others. In fact, he was proud of doing that.

It's an insult to the marketing departments at both airline, and the entire marketing and branding indsutry.

So if Jeff and Glenn "agreed to it" then why aren't all of the UA loyalists on here burning Tilton in effigy, too?

If people want to "mourn" the loss of a tulip, that's fine.... but it's rather disingenuous to blame its demise solely on Smisek, when (by your own admission) both CEO's were huddled around the table making decisions about the new livery.
Old Feb 24, 2011, 5:16 pm

Programs: Previously 5 year AS Gold 75, UA MM Lifetime Gold
They got it right and saved money...even Gordon would be proud
Old Feb 25, 2011, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by emcsweeney
They got it right and saved money...even Gordon would be proud
I think the decision concerning the livery was a prudent one, especially with regard to cost savings. I can also only surmise that the integration costs for this merger are not cheap.

As mentioned in a previous thread, the current UACO livery will most likely prove to be an interim measure with a new livery being introduced after the merger is completely consummated. I believe it's only a matter of time.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by jlemon
As mentioned in a previous thread, the current UACO livery will most likely prove to be an interim measure with a new livery being introduced after the merger is completely consummated. I believe it's only a matter of time.
Why d people keep insisting that this is temporary? Do you really think a company is going to spend hundreds of millions of dollars on branding only to scrap it in a couple of years? It's going to take about two years just to get all of the aircraft painted.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by xyzzy
Do you really think a company is going to spend hundreds of millions of dollars on branding only to scrap it in a couple of years?
I think most of us naysayers assume they made the decision they did in order to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on branding (or maybe ones of millions) - but definitely not hundreds of millions.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Why d people keep insisting that this is temporary? Do you really think a company is going to spend hundreds of millions of dollars on branding only to scrap it in a couple of years? It's going to take about two years just to get all of the aircraft painted.
Because it's such a boneheaded move.

It'd be like McDonald's with the Taco Bell bell. It's so ridiculous, the only rationalization that some can believe is that it's an interim measure.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 11:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
I think most of us naysayers assume they made the decision they did in order to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on branding (or maybe ones of millions) - but definitely not hundreds of millions.
It's so ridiculous, the only rationalization that some can believe is that it's an interim measure.
I think that you both (along with all the other naysayers and marketing folks who wish they worked at UA these days) are in for disappointment.

Originally Posted by CO Internal Employee Communication
Beginning next week, we will introduce an interim advertising campaign and refresh our online presence with the new United logo and visual
identity. Co-workers can also expect to see the new United brand continue to roll out in more places in the months ahead as we integrate more of our operations, locations, policies, products and marketing programs.

The new identity is helping to drive awareness of the new United brand as we continue to integrate our two subsidiaries' operations and product, said Brand Marketing Managing Director Kevin McKenna. Our co-workers can be proud of the new branding. It is a visual representation of the new United, and the work we are doing to create the worlds leading airline.

Implementing the new United brand across the company is a complex project that will take time. While we operate under both the Continental and United names, we are taking a phased approach to ensure our customers can continue to easily find their way. Thats why you will continue to see the Continental name and logo associated with CO operations, sometimes alongside the new United brand, until we are fully integrated.

Combining Uniteds name and Continentals globe logo preserves the heritage of both companies and keeps two strong elements that are familiar to our customers.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was talking long term here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.