Wiki Posts
Search

Teh Penalty Box

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2010, 8:27 am

Programs: OnePass Ex-Platinum now dirtinum
Originally Posted by ConciergeMike
"creAAture" made me LOL.

I'm not opposed to its presence, but I've been opposed to everything (diametrically, it would seem) that she wants about details.

She wants a white/blond-coated female. I want the black-coated male that's available.

She wants a dog-like name. I have no problem giving a dog a human name.

Re: names, she sees no humor in a sight gag. This dog will top out at 12 pounds, and I wanted to name it Moose. Bzzzzzt. Wrong answer.
It used to tick my wife off to no end that our cat of 19 years wouldn't even acknowledge it's given name of "Stripes".
But it would come running when I yelled, "Hey Stupid! Come here!"
Old Nov 22, 2010, 8:28 am

Programs: UA and SPG are the two primary ones these days
Also re: coat colors, before you get a white/yellow animal...I really hope you don't have dark colored carpeting. Most of our downstairs is burgundy, and I think my mom had to vacuum at LEAST daily throughout the animal's entire life.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UALCO Holdings General Member
Originally Posted by mwg25
JOC, what's a "dog-like name"?

I'm not opposed to giving dogs human names, as long as they're like...not in the Top 100 Trendy Baby Names of 1990-2010 or something. Extra points if it's a human name from a different century, millennium, or culture.

Our dog's name was Nicodemus, which I think is awesome. Particularly because once a year John 3:1-21 would come up in the lectionary and we would all be trying SO hard not to giggle in church imagining Jesus taking a yellow Lab for a walk at night.
I met a Beagle the other day while flying Petpass, his name was Barkley
Old Nov 22, 2010, 8:33 am

Morning, Box. It would appear that when I work too much, the following happens:

1. I make lots of cash tips. ^
2. I come home to find that Copa Connection is ready to put down a deposit on a maltipoo.

Or would it be "mAAltipoo", since the breeder ships on AA?
You could always claim allergies, which is one of the ways we have managed to avoid getting a dog, despite periodic lobbying by the kids. My bride does not object, because she knows that she would be stuck taking care of it when I am not around.

Originally Posted by ssullivan
Other Box people who don't own a car, do any of you maintain a liability only auto insurance policy for when you rent a car, or do you just buy insurance with your rentals? I'm debating this right now, as I'm wondering if I'm over insured on rentals now. I've got a liability policy of my own, but I'm also covered by insurance provided through my credit card, as well as the insurance ZipCar includes when we use their cars locally. My insurance is only $60/month, but if it's not something I really need, that's $720/year I could eliminate from the budget.
In the days when we lived in NYC, we just bought the insurance with the rentals, as a liability-only policy would have been more expensive.

New Jersey has had a large population loss over the last 10 years.
Is it population loss, or just a lower rate of increase than the rest of the country? Census estimates suggest that the population increased by 300,000 people since 2000. I wouldn't be surprised if NC, TX, CA, AZ, FL increased more, though.

I'm not opposed to giving dogs human names, as long as they're like...not in the Top 100 Trendy Baby Names of 1990-2010 or something. Extra points if it's a human name from a different century, millennium, or culture.

Our dog's name was Nicodemus, which I think is awesome. Particularly because once a year John 3:1-21 would come up in the lectionary and we would all be trying SO hard not to giggle in church imagining Jesus taking a yellow Lab for a walk at night.
I always wanted to name a dog "Phideaux".
Old Nov 22, 2010, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Under the Liberty Visual to 27L at PHL. Stranger in a strange land - a Devils fan in Flyers country.
Programs: PWP Le Chancelier des Clefs d'Or || Sarcasm, Anti-Stupidity, Obscure References top tier member.

Nicodemus is pretty cool. I think the definition of a dog-like name is one that could not conceivably be attached to a human. Broad, yes, but that is the parameter we seem to have been using for the argument.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
Amex refund--check
Debit refund--nope
Chase refund--they're so slow, I'll probably see it next week.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 8:36 am

Nicodemus is pretty cool. I think the definition of a dog-like name is one that could not conceivably be attached to a human. Broad, yes, but that is the parameter we seem to have been using for the argument.
You could name the dog "Caleb," which is a human name derived from the Hebrew word for dog (though only if it is a male).

Marriage is about compromise.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Diamond, B6 Mosaic, AS MPV Gold, UA Gold MM, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite

Naming anything with a trendy name (baby, dog, cat, car, whatever) should be avoided at all costs. Nothing beats the year one of my friends in Texas, an elementary school teacher, had three Dakotas and two Taylors, and three McKenzies in the same first grade class and there were only about 15-18 students in the class total.

BTW I love that name for a dog. Our cats all have unique names Mephisto, Nero, and Begemot. All three fit their personalities rather well too.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Diamond, B6 Mosaic, AS MPV Gold, UA Gold MM, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite
You never know. As a kid we had a dog named Frosty. I've known a couple of other dogs with that name in my life as well. Then, this past summer, I was at a new client and encountered a human there that went by the name Frosty. To make it worse, Frosty was a man of about 50 years old. I didn't know how to react to that one.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 8:38 am

Programs: UA and SPG are the two primary ones these days
Originally Posted by Phudnik
I always wanted to name a dog "Phideaux".
HAHAHA.

That's very South Louisiana of you. We spell anything possible with an "-eaux".

Oh, and our recently-departed feline was named Hobart. For obvious reasons.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Under the Liberty Visual to 27L at PHL. Stranger in a strange land - a Devils fan in Flyers country.
Programs: PWP Le Chancelier des Clefs d'Or || Sarcasm, Anti-Stupidity, Obscure References top tier member.
Originally Posted by zippypinhead
It used to tick my wife off to no end that our cat of 19 years wouldn't even acknowledge it's given name of "Stripes".
But it would come running when I yelled, "Hey Stupid! Come here!"
That's hilarious. Friends of my mother had a cat. One partner was allergic; other was not. The allergic one always called the cat "little $hit". I never did learn that cat's real name.

You could always claim allergies, which is one of the ways we have managed to avoid getting a dog, despite periodic lobbying by the kids. My bride does not object, because she knows that she would be stuck taking care of it when I am not around.
Maltipoos are as about as close to hypoallergenic as animals can get. That factoid is what started the designer dog cross-breeding craze.

Is it population loss, or just a lower rate of increase than the rest of the country? Census estimates suggest that the population increased by 300,000 people since 2000. I wouldn't be surprised if NC, TX, CA, AZ, FL increased more, though.
Poo. I didn't know estimates were out already, and I was really hoping for a net loss.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A menace to everything in the sky. Yes. Even birds.
Programs: Eh+ Rapid Rolleyes
Originally Posted by rolov
I met a Beagle the other day while flying Petpass, his name was Barkley
My family had a goldfish when I was growing up named Flush.
There was also a brief moment when my brother somehow acquired a rabbit. His name was Stu.

Why yes, I find myself normally adjusted to society. Why do you ask? Now if you'll excuse me, I need to polish my tin-foil hat.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 8:43 am

HAHAHA.

That's very South Louisiana of you. We spell anything possible with an "-eaux".
Rheauveur might work as well.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
I am going to name my dog cujo.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by belynch
My family had a goldfish when I was growing up named Flush.
That's the best pet name of the day so far.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.