Wiki Posts
Search

Teh Penalty Box

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2010, 7:58 am

Programs: UA and HH
Originally Posted by ssullivan
I don't miss owning a car at all.

Other Box people who don't own a car, do any of you maintain a liability only auto insurance policy for when you rent a car, or do you just buy insurance with your rentals? I'm debating this right now, as I'm wondering if I'm over insured on rentals now. I've got a liability policy of my own, but I'm also covered by insurance provided through my credit card, as well as the insurance ZipCar includes when we use their cars locally. My insurance is only $60/month, but if it's not something I really need, that's $720/year I could eliminate from the budget.
I only use the credit card insurance on rentals and take the gamble. We get insurance for through Hertz Connect like you for rentals through them locally. One thing we didnt consider is that we do want to eventually get a car and I have priced out insurance which is because I get dinged for not currently having insurance. I will basically have to pay a new driver rate because of not currently having insurance and in NJ it is not cheap.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 7:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Other Box people who don't own a car, do any of you maintain a liability only auto insurance policy for when you rent a car, or do you just buy insurance with your rentals?
Neither. I'm sure I'm doing it wrong, but I've just taken whatever my CC offers and hoped for the best.
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Diamond, B6 Mosaic, AS MPV Gold, UA Gold MM, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by rolov
I think you should convince her to adopt a dog instead of buying one
+1.

I've never bought a pet or supported a breeder, and never will. I guess it's the fact that as a kid our pets all came from either strays that wondered up (a couple of cats) or people we knew that had a dog or cat that had puppies or kittens. I'd much rather support a rescue shelter than pay a fortune to a puppy or kitten mill when there are so many great pets already out there that need homes. The fluffy cat sleeping in my lap right now that was taken in as a feral kitten by the humane society and adopted out to us a couple of months later agrees.
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: National Executive Elite, none of the others matter
Originally Posted by GeoMedic
If I didn't keep buying cars. Three at present... two Germans and a Japanese.
My car passed 12 years of service on August 9th - this is a car that cost just over $7k new ... When it was totaled in 2007, I received almost $2,600 even after buying a new front end off another car from a junkyard (same color, as xyzzy can attest). Every year it keeps running now is gravy.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Under the Liberty Visual to 27L at PHL. Stranger in a strange land - a Devils fan in Flyers country.
Programs: PWP Le Chancelier des Clefs d'Or || Sarcasm, Anti-Stupidity, Obscure References top tier member.
Originally Posted by rolov
I think you should convince her to adopt a dog instead of buying one
Her previous dog and her sister's current dog were/are rescues. :-: She has had a thing for maltipoos for a few years now.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Diamond, B6 Mosaic, AS MPV Gold, UA Gold MM, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by gbryan84
I only use the credit card insurance on rentals and take the gamble. We get insurance for through Hertz Connect like you for rentals through them locally. One thing we didnt consider is that we do want to eventually get a car and I have priced out insurance which is because I get dinged for not currently having insurance. I will basically have to pay a new driver rate because of not currently having insurance and in NJ it is not cheap.
Originally Posted by sbm12
Neither. I'm sure I'm doing it wrong, but I've just taken whatever my CC offers and hoped for the best.
Yeah, I've debated whether to take the gamble or not. The credit card just offers collision coverage, but there's no mention of driver liability, which worries me. I'm in a rental car approximately 200-250 days/year, which is a lot.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Under the Liberty Visual to 27L at PHL. Stranger in a strange land - a Devils fan in Flyers country.
Programs: PWP Le Chancelier des Clefs d'Or || Sarcasm, Anti-Stupidity, Obscure References top tier member.
Originally Posted by gbryan84
I will basically have to pay a new driver rate because of not currently having insurance and in NJ it is not cheap.
I have to wonder if our rates will go down some after the results of the Census are in and the district redrawing process starts.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ConciergeMike
I have to wonder if our rates will go down some after the results of the Census are in and the district redrawing process starts.
How does that affect insurance rates?
Old Nov 22, 2010, 8:07 am

Programs: UA and SPG are the two primary ones these days
Morning, Box. Day 1 of 6 in the hublet...it's raining but not at all cold. I got to fly with sister #1 yesterday for the first time in a really long time (BOS-DCA-CAK on US...I guess that CRJ200 was just like the old days of us being squished in the back seat of a car on family roadtrips). She enjoyed checking a bag for free and the Flavia machine in the US Club.

Originally Posted by icurhere2
The one in LAX is an exemplar (except for the paucity of electrical outlets).
I don't understand why this hasn't been a higher priority in ALL the lounges. It doesn't even require a full renovation, I would think. (Even the outside gate areas in many airports seem to have been dealing with it (thanks to Samsung).

Originally Posted by ande777emt
Yesterday morning I got called from a higher up at my employer asking about my Thanksgiving plans... and if I could head to Switzerland for a meeting this afternoon.
^

That's kind of a fun call to get. Enjoy LX C!

Morning, Box. It would appear that when I work too much, the following happens:

1. I make lots of cash tips. ^
2. I come home to find that Copa Connection is ready to put down a deposit on a maltipoo.

Or would it be "mAAltipoo", since the breeder ships on AA?
Oh boy.

Just how opposed are you to the creAAture, anyway - strong putting your foot down "no way" or are you resigned and somewhat OK with it being inevitable, but feel compelled to at least put up a nominal fight?
Old Nov 22, 2010, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How does that affect insurance rates?
New Jersey has had a large population loss over the last 10 years. Redistricting starts once the new population figures are known. The population density numbers might ease up some, thereby affecting insurance prices.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A menace to everything in the sky. Yes. Even birds.
Programs: Eh+ Rapid Rolleyes
g'day box.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mwg25
Oh boy.

Just how opposed are you to the creAAture, anyway - strong putting your foot down "no way" or are you resigned and somewhat OK with it being inevitable, but feel compelled to at least put up a nominal fight?
"creAAture" made me LOL.

I'm not opposed to its presence, but I've been opposed to everything (diametrically, it would seem) that she wants about details.

She wants a white/blond-coated female. I want the black-coated male that's available.

She wants a dog-like name. I have no problem giving a dog a human name.

Re: names, she sees no humor in a sight gag. This dog will top out at 12 pounds, and I wanted to name it Moose. Bzzzzzt. Wrong answer.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I love it when people use reply all when they meant to hit reply, then try to recall the mistake.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

New Jersey has had a large population loss over the last 10 years. Redistricting starts once the new population figures are known. The population density numbers might ease up some, thereby affecting insurance prices.
Population density might make some difference, but only if the losses are significant enough. How regulated are insurance rates in New Jersey? Seems like a more likely scenario is they'll just not change, rather than go down, unless regulations on the insurance market force the issue.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 8:26 am

Programs: UA and SPG are the two primary ones these days
"creAAture" made me LOL.

I'm not opposed to its presence, but I've been opposed to everything (diametrically, it would seem) that she wants about details.

She wants a white/blond-coated female. I want the black-coated male that's available.

She wants a dog-like name. I have no problem giving a dog a human name.

Re: names, she sees no humor in a sight gag. This dog will top out at 12 pounds, and I wanted to name it Moose. Bzzzzzt. Wrong answer.
JOC, what's a "dog-like name"?

I'm not opposed to giving dogs human names, as long as they're like...not in the Top 100 Trendy Baby Names of 1990-2010 or something. Extra points if it's a human name from a different century, millennium, or culture.

Our dog's name was Nicodemus, which I think is awesome. Particularly because once a year John 3:1-21 would come up in the lectionary and we would all be trying SO hard not to giggle in church imagining Jesus taking a yellow Lab for a walk at night.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.