Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

United's Name and Continental's Logo and Livery to be Used Post-Merger

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United's Name and Continental's Logo and Livery to be Used Post-Merger

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2010, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ysitincoach
I like the Death Star globe, but they really need to work on the "United" text if the website's artist rendering is anything like what an actual painted jet will look like.
Yeah, that was my earlier point. But I have seen other "artist renderings" this morning where the "United" typeface does look better on the CO plane. It's not a disasterous mistake, but I do wonder why they booted the UA typeface.
Old May 3, 2010, 7:06 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold, PF Chang's Warrior, Wine Century 100
Originally Posted by iahphx
They're putting "United" in the CO typeface, and making it large. I would leave it in the "UNITED" typeface that's on their current aircraft. It looks stronger, and would be more familiar to current UA flyers.
Agreed, "United" looks weird in the CO typeface.

Originally Posted by iahphx
As a CO elite, I will say it will be comforting to see the old livery around. It will feel like I'm still flying "good ol' Continental." Warm, happy feelings will fill my brain. If they had adopted the UA livery, my brain would be saying "God, I hope this new airline is better than the old UA."
+1
Old May 3, 2010, 7:10 am

I'm sure the graphics will be refined a little. Keep in mind this was likely done very quickly--even maybe overnight. Give these folks the credit due for a job well done under tremendous pressure.
Old May 3, 2010, 7:12 am

I went to UA and CO's merger website. The printed logo actually looks ok. Though that typeface does look weird on the plane. Maybe it is because it's an artist rendering and they didn't quite get the curvature of the lettering right.
Old May 3, 2010, 7:13 am

Programs: DM-(DL)/CO/AA/US/ RW (Road Warrior)
This is gonna be tough to get used the livery.

Too much white! It needs some color... like red or orange. Just a little.
Old May 3, 2010, 7:20 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by Nibaruian
But in another thread, Gordon Bethune has been allegedly quoted as being thumbs down on the deal, and who am I to question his judgment?
Again, Gordon has been a vocal proponent of CO+UA for a very long time. I really don't like to call into question the veracity of a poster's information, but an alleged about-face by Bethune on the merger outlook (especially with a much healthier UA in the picture) is very peculiar to me, to say the least.

Quite frankly, I believe he will make his usual CNBC/Fox Business/Bloomberg rounds this week and go on the record in favor of the deal.
Old May 3, 2010, 7:22 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Nibaruian
You can't beat The Globe. Coolest logo in all of the transportation biz. They had to keep The Globe.
This was a very NICE surprise. I understand that they wanted to keep the United name, but thought they would also keep the United paint. In my mind, this keeps Continental alive!!!!
Old May 3, 2010, 7:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
This was a surprise, but now that I think about it, it sort of makes sense.

As you can see from this board, the venom against UA for misdeeds in past decades is strong. Reworking the UA image may help get customers not familiar with the current airline.
Old May 3, 2010, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by zigenbock
This was a very NICE surprise. I understand that they wanted to keep the United name, but thought they would also keep the United paint. In my mind, this keeps Continental alive!!!!
Continental will be alive in the corporate name, too.
Old May 3, 2010, 7:48 am

Programs: UA - 1K 1MM; Hyatt - Explorist; Marriott - Lifetime Titanium
As a long time UA flyer, I'm actually glad to see this. Do I have an affinity for the UA livery? Of course, just listen to the comments on this thread to know that most frequent travelers are fond of their branding. With you CO flyers losing so much in this deal (the name, the headquarters, most certainly the hub in CLE, probably the top tier at 75K miles) I think it's great that the new airline will retain some of the CO blood in a ver public fashion.
Old May 3, 2010, 7:48 am

Programs: Il Postino della PWP, CO, TrueBlue, Priority Club
Originally Posted by channa
As you can see from this board, the venom against UA for misdeeds in past decades is strong. Reworking the UA image may help get customers not familiar with the current airline.
I'm wondering if it's because it would be cheaper/faster to repaint only the UA planes and touch up the CO planes instead of repainting both the UA planes and CO planes. :-:
Old May 3, 2010, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OMNIArchist, OMNIArchy!, OMNIIDGAS
Originally Posted by AMF in NJ
I'm wondering if it's because it would be cheaper/faster to repaint only the UA planes and touch up the CO planes instead of repainting both the UA planes and CO planes. :-:
no, it was politics of the internal sort. They MUST have union backing to make this work, the CO unions would be devastated to see their entire identity go, this is a token move to say 'see you are not forgotten, we are merging our way back Varney legacy'
Old May 3, 2010, 7:57 am

Wow. I am pleased. Thanks Jeff for reading my email and suggestion that this is what should be done. ^

A truly combined airline.
Old May 3, 2010, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AMF in NJ
I wouldn't be surprised if cost and speed of creating a consistent brand factored in to their decision.
Old May 3, 2010, 8:05 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by Steph3n
It is interesting, but I think UNITED looks better than United even on the CO livery.
Ding! Exactly.

There's something about the shorter name that wants caps or, at least, small caps for the "nited".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.