Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

United's Name and Continental's Logo and Livery to be Used Post-Merger

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United's Name and Continental's Logo and Livery to be Used Post-Merger

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2010, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
I was amused by this one from the comments section of the article:

Old Oct 22, 2010, 3:52 pm

Red face

Originally Posted by bocastephen
My customer-contact experience with UA is far more recent than 10 years ago - like within the preceding 12 months. I don't need my butt in the seat to have a foul experience with UA when I'm spending hours on the phone trying to fix other people's United-caused calamities.

I would be willing to try UA - except gee, they pulled out of my markets so I can't. If I decide to drive over an hour out of my way to fly from MIA, they want over $1000!!! for a MIA/SEA trip against the $500 CO wants for FLL/SEA.

Unless someone is planning on starting a "Help Bocastephen Experience United Airlines" fund, that MIA trip ain't happening.

Actually, Continental Airlines is far more expensive than UNITED. A flight from PHX-COS on CONtinental is $1,357.43 (Coach!)... and its operated by UNITED!!! And the exact same flight bought on the UNITED Airlines website, is only 245 dollars, plus taxes and fees. So Continental is making $1,112.43 off of a flight that costs 245$ and its not even operated by them. Why does it make continental flyers more comfortable knowing they paid triple the amount it already costs, even though its not being operated by their beloved airline? But the airline they hate, UNITED?
Old Oct 22, 2010, 4:02 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by UAPilotMario
Actually, Continental Airlines is far more expensive than UNITED. A flight from PHX-COS on CONtinental is $1,357.43 (Coach!)... and its operated by UNITED!!! And the exact same flight bought on the UNITED Airlines website, is only 245 dollars, plus taxes and fees. So Continental is making $1,112.43 off of a flight that costs 245$ and its not even operated by them. Why does it make continental flyers more comfortable knowing they paid triple the amount it already costs, even though its not being operated by their beloved airline? But the airline they hate, UNITED?
The price variance you are seeing is related to the inventory of codeshare flights being different than the inventory of said carriers flights. They bucket the fares differently and RM adjusts it accordingly. Routing and rules of a specific fare might allow you to travel on another carrier however it may be a matter that the lower inventory is shut off, thus why that fare is higher. UA might have adjusted a fare in the market and CO might not have matched, or UA has lower inventory open, or CO has higher inventory because a nonstop is filling up. I realize in this case PHXCOS is not a CO nonstop and CO might be matching something based off of UA published non-sale fares in the market.

Consequently there have been instances where a UA flight operated by CO might be $300 on the UA website and $500 on CO.
Old Oct 22, 2010, 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by UAPilotMario
I'm not going to post what I have to say publicly but you have a PM...
Old Oct 23, 2010, 1:38 am

Programs: UA 1.5K MM/SPG Plat/Various Random Golds lol
Originally Posted by Bonehead
Question: If you see a UA flight as a likely misconnect but there is nothing yet in the system, will UA accommodate a suggested change without squawking? Would they put you on, say, AA metal?
I recently had an UA MX out of DFW (lightning strike to plane on inbound) and they quickly rebooked me onto AA into COS (original booking DEN, but last flight of day anywhere close). No question, no hassle. Just a "sir, you need to head immediately to gate XX, the door shuts in 25 minutes and its the last flight to get you home".

On the other hand, I spent 50 minutes on hold with CO customer phone line last night.

I'm willing to say these were both extremes. I believe that was a really bad wait for CO phone, and a great UA response in this case. YMMV. Let's hope the best of both airlines come together under Smisek! Who cares what the paint job is, the brick doesn't love me. I love the brick IF it takes care of me I'm not monogamous. I'm a blatant swinger, and if the new "United" is stale you can bet I'll be sleeping around. Maybe even the dAArkside lol.

But here's to hoping our joint and far superior airline will kick tail for us. Cheers.
Old Nov 1, 2010, 11:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
Originally Posted by JSlo
I recently had an UA MX out of DFW (lightning strike to plane on inbound) and they quickly rebooked me onto AA into COS (original booking DEN, but last flight of day anywhere close). No question, no hassle. Just a "sir, you need to head immediately to gate XX, the door shuts in 25 minutes and its the last flight to get you home".

On the other hand, I spent 50 minutes on hold with CO customer phone line last night.

I'm willing to say these were both extremes. I believe that was a really bad wait for CO phone, and a great UA response in this case. YMMV. Let's hope the best of both airlines come together under Smisek! Who cares what the paint job is, the brick doesn't love me. I love the brick IF it takes care of me I'm not monogamous. I'm a blatant swinger, and if the new "United" is stale you can bet I'll be sleeping around. Maybe even the dAArkside lol.

But here's to hoping our joint and far superior airline will kick tail for us. Cheers.
I don't think your experience with UA in DFW was an "extreme". It's more the norm IMO for the circumstances you described. OTOH, I really don't think there is a norm for these types of situations on CO, but I do know it was their inability to provide me with the type of irrop service I expect that lost them my business in 2001, after being a loyal customer of 17 years.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.