Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Breaking News: UA and CO strike merger agreement

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Breaking News: UA and CO strike merger agreement

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2010, 6:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Under the Liberty Visual to 27L at PHL. Stranger in a strange land - a Devils fan in Flyers country.
Programs: PWP Le Chancelier des Clefs d'Or || Sarcasm, Anti-Stupidity, Obscure References top tier member.
Originally Posted by HeathrowGuy
Personally, I was hoping they'd buy the Pan Am name. Oh well...
The Pan Am name is already purchased. DL is doing a great impersonation of it.

Originally Posted by DenverBrian
Somehow, the UA forum has managed to keep most speculation in the thread called "Just how dead *is* the Continental merger?" Interesting irony.
The two forums could not have more different, um, management styles.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 7:00 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, Hyatt Lifetime Glob, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Platinum
Does Smisek still have to turn a profit to draw a paycheck, or does that go out the windw with a merger?
Old Apr 29, 2010, 7:03 pm

Programs: UA SP, DL SM MM, AS 75K, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond.
Originally Posted by CopperSteve
Does Smisek still have to turn a profit to draw a paycheck, or does that go out the windw with a merger?
Excellent question!^
Old Apr 29, 2010, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OMNIArchist, OMNIArchy!, OMNIIDGAS
Originally Posted by 98103

where is the pukey smiley?
Old Apr 29, 2010, 7:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LT Plt, Mets fan
Originally Posted by 98103

My condolences to CO FFs.
thanks!
Old Apr 29, 2010, 7:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by CO_1mm
There are about half a dozen or more threads discussing various parts of the merger. The pre-announcement announcement seems to warrant its own thread in my book. This is actually real news.
^
Old Apr 29, 2010, 7:50 pm

Programs: JetBlue Trueblue, Southwest Rapid Rewards, Continental One Pass, Holiday Inn Priority Club, Marriott
Not a big deal now, but what happens with CLE,IAH and EWR? Do they become United hubs and all United gates? Just thinking about that has me intrigued
Old Apr 29, 2010, 8:02 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP - UA *G MM - HH Diamond - Hertz PC
Originally Posted by AviationWx29
Not a big deal now, but what happens with CLE,IAH and EWR? Do they become United hubs and all United gates? Just thinking about that has me intrigued
So it would appear.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 8:03 pm

Programs: CO MM, ANA 1K, Marriott Platinum, Avis P Club, Hertz 5 star, Starwood Plat
They should keep the Continental Name

If you do a quick brand perception audit, United has a pretty crappy ranking compared to Continental. it's also important to emphasize that the Continental team is taking over. Not sure where Jeff stands, especially after he laid of 600 call center agents and seems to be more worried about his bottom line instead of your experience.

That being said, it would be nice if they:

1. keep Business First
2. Add premium economy on long hauls and transcon
3. Keep ff program in tact
4. Train UA GA's and FA's to be more responsive

That should be part of the DOJ approval. They need to maintain or exceed Continental's current service standards. Probably could start a petition to the DOJ on this. We should do this in FT.

F Yu
Co-star
Plat MM
Old Apr 29, 2010, 8:08 pm

Programs: UA-1K-MM AA-EXP-MM
Exclamation This is a really bad assumption

Originally Posted by danville 1K
After what I've read on these boards it would appear you'll still be with CO, just with a new name. After all, Mr. Smisek and his team will still be running it, right?
We need to stop assuming things that are not in evidence. I think there is a common misconception that since Smisek is CEO it will be a a Continental dominated management. After talking to 2 large institutional holders of both UAUA and CAL, there is an interest in bringing, UAUA cost containment and revenue enhancement to CAL. Both people I talked to felt that while CAL personnel may lead in labor relations, UAUA had better personnel in finance and marketing. It will be very interesting to see who fills the jobs of CFO, CMO, COO and CIO, I believe CAL executives will get no more than 2 of those jobs. UAUA management may not be well thought of by employees and some customers, but it is well thought of by some very significant shareholders, who have large stakes in both UAUA and CAL.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 8:08 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP - UA *G MM - HH Diamond - Hertz PC
Originally Posted by F Yu
If you do a quick brand perception audit, United has a pretty crappy ranking compared to Continental. it's also important to emphasize that the Continental team is taking over. Not sure where Jeff stands, especially after he laid of 600 call center agents and seems to be more worried about his bottom line instead of your experience.

1. keep Business First

That should be part of the DOJ approval. They need to maintain or exceed Continental's current service standards. Probably could start a petition to the DOJ on this. We should do this in FT.

F Yu
Co-star
Plat MM
It would also be nice if they could train CO agents in how to effectively handle irrops, which seems to be one of CO's achilles' heels. And one of the bigger complaints on the CO forum.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 8:09 pm

Programs: NZ , QF , MK
Originally Posted by F Yu

1. keep Business First

F Yu
Co-star
Plat MM
I would very much doubt that any of the items you have listed above are of interest to the DoJ in determining whether or not a merger should proceed .
Old Apr 29, 2010, 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by AviationWx29
except for the fact that CLE may disappear, that's exactly what will happen. US did it in PHX, and DL's done it in MSP, MEM, DTW, AMS and NRT.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 8:23 pm

Programs: CO Plat, HH Diamond, UA 1P
Welcome to the brand new beginning of CO's quest to be just another airline
Old Apr 29, 2010, 8:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by HeathrowGuy
Personally, I was hoping they'd buy the Pan Am name. Oh well...
How about "Chalk's Ocean Airways?" (RIP)

or

"Pussy Galore's Flying Circus?"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.