Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Breaking News: UA and CO strike merger agreement

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Breaking News: UA and CO strike merger agreement

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2010, 10:08 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP - UA *G MM - HH Diamond - Hertz PC
Originally Posted by CO_1mm
A little late in the reply, but...
I wasn't including ANY CO unions in my comment regarding unions getting a management team they don't loathe. That was specifically pointed at UA's unions who do, pretty much unanimously, hate the current management at UA. If UA's management somehow manages to win the job scrum, and the existing unions decide that their last best hope of getting some professional respect is gone, then I may have to head back to DL or give AA another try.

New UA may be based officially in Chicago, but I expect a large amount of the back office ops to be in Houston. If it is not, then the UA middle management are the ones who will really be the ones running the airline. At that point, Gordon's airline will really have ceased.
Posts from Concerned Continental Pilot tell a slightly different story about labor relations at CO. It isn't as touchy feely as described on this forum.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 10:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Under the Liberty Visual to 27L at PHL. Stranger in a strange land - a Devils fan in Flyers country.
Programs: PWP Le Chancelier des Clefs d'Or || Sarcasm, Anti-Stupidity, Obscure References top tier member.
Originally Posted by danville 1K
Posts from Concerned Continental Pilot tell a slightly different story about labor relations at CO. It isn't as touchy feely as described on this forum.
That poster is exceptionally angry at her superiors. CO's labor relations aren't great, but to rely on those posts alone is by no means a balanced account.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 10:12 pm
In memoriam

Originally Posted by channa
Sort of. Except that on UA it's one 5-minute call. On CO it's multiple calls that can add up to an hour or more.

It's important to have a full cellphone battery if flying CO.
Perhaps its back to the taking care of elites first issue, but the last time I had an irrops issue on UA I got a message on my cell phone I had been rebooked before I could call in. Either UA has more people around to handle the rebookings, or a better computer system. But based upon the comments about ua.bomb I'd have to guess it were the former rather than the latter.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 10:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Perhaps its back to the taking care of elites first issue, but the last time I had an irrops issue on UA I got a message on my cell phone I had been rebooked before I could call in.
CO does that too. And CO auto-rebooks Elites before non-Elites, just like UA.

The issue is that if you don't want or like the rebook (e.g., you can go earlier -- the computer always books for later, you can use another airport, etc.).

I can often improve on the rebook. UA just does what I ask for. CO puts fiery hoops in my way -- nonsense like telling me my fare bucket isn't available or something, or refusing the alternate airport because my ticket is into a specific airport. CO always does what I want as well, but they make me try a few times or use other tactics to get it.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 10:18 pm
In memoriam

Originally Posted by ConciergeMike
That poster is exceptionally angry at her superiors. CO's labor relations aren't great, but to rely on those posts alone is by no means a balanced account.
You mean the pilots at CO aren't wearing wristbands that say "Smisek's Gotta Go"????

I believe she is also fairly high up on the pilots union to boot, so she may be more influential than you think. Clearly at UA there is no love loss between the unions and Mr. Tilton, that's for sure.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 10:18 pm

Angry Revenue enhancement & cost containment =Gouging

If your talking about the price "gouge" that UA used in the last quarter to "lose" less money than expected? If so then I cant see this merger working for the flying public .
In the last 3 to 6 mo UA has consistantly charged higher fares that other aircarriers. A typical current example being PBI to Ewr Co fare $219 UA $287 what a bargain! I cant wait for more like this one.
Does cost containment include charge for everything possible mentality that is running rampant now?

Originally Posted by ORD4R
We need to stop assuming things that are not in evidence. I think there is a common misconception that since Smisek is CEO it will be a a Continental dominated management. After talking to 2 large institutional holders of both UAUA and CAL, there is an interest in bringing, UAUA cost containment and revenue enhancement to CAL. Both people I talked to felt that while CAL personnel may lead in labor relations, UAUA had better personnel in finance and marketing. It will be very interesting to see who fills the jobs of CFO, CMO, COO and CIO, I believe CAL executives will get no more than 2 of those jobs. UAUA management may not be well thought of by employees and some customers, but it is well thought of by some very significant shareholders, who have large stakes in both UAUA and CAL.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 10:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by Narfil
If your talking about the price "gouge" that UA used in the last quarter to "lose" less money than expected? If so then I cant see this merger working for the flying public .
In the last 3 to 6 mo UA has consistantly charged higher fares that other aircarriers. A typical current example being PBI to Ewr Co fare $219 UA $287 what a bargain! I cant wait for more like this one.
Does cost containment include charge for everything possible mentality that is running rampant now?

Huh? UA doesn't even serve PBI.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 10:20 pm
In memoriam

CO does that too. And CO auto-rebooks Elites before non-Elites, just like UA.

The issue is that if you don't want or like the rebook (e.g., you can go earlier -- the computer always books for later, you can use another airport, etc.).

I can often improve on the rebook. UA just does what I ask for. CO puts fiery hoops in my way -- nonsense like telling me my fare bucket isn't available or something, or refusing the alternate airport because my ticket is into a specific airport. CO always does what I want as well, but they make me try a few times or use other tactics to get it.
Okay, I'm a little slow at times, but I finally got it....
Old Apr 29, 2010, 10:21 pm
In memoriam

Huh? UA doesn't even serve PBI.
A US or CO code share per chance?
Old Apr 29, 2010, 10:25 pm

Programs: CO MM/Pt, SPG Pt, Marriott Au, others not worth mentioning
If you can point me to where the head of any of CO's unions has come out openly asking for the removal of LK (in the day) or Smisek, then that still wouldn't be relevant to how UA's unions feel about current UA management. The head of UA's flight attendants union was calling for Tilton's head what? Two weeks ago for the most recent round?

It would be relevant to point out that CO's unions aren't all warm-and-fuzzy for CO management, except as far as one can, they are warm and fuzzy for CO management. They just look at what was done to everyone else at major carriers (except WN) in similar positions. They may not be happy, but I can't imagine too many of them don't recognize that they were among the least scathed employees of any major airline the past two to ten years. At least, the FAs that I hear talking on my flights say things like this when they both to talk about management at all (generally the latter is a good thing).
Old Apr 29, 2010, 10:29 pm

Dont drink the UA Cool aid!

Co board wake up!! You can buy UA and sell off what is unneeded old and useless and form a preimer airline when they finally file Ch7. And it won't cost your soul

Do not drink the UA cool-aid! ( and YES it is misspelled deliberatly)

Originally Posted by meFIRST
It's happening.

Dear CO Board = Please approve this merger. We love you.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 10:32 pm

Programs: PWP Direktor of Homeland, CO Plat* 1MM,UA 1K,BD Gold,DL Gold,SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
CO has 288 total aircraft, UA has 359. On both airlines the planes tend to be very full. Why would it be any easier for UA to rearrange pax during irrops than for CO, regardless of the status of the pax? In the case of irrops most 1Ks will jump on the phone with the 1K desk to work on the problem. Wouldn't that also be the case for CO elite flyers?
UA has a lot more spare planes that aren't actively flying. On any given day there are a few widebodies sitting around in SFO and LAX that can sub in quickly. CO does not have the same luxury.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 10:34 pm

Programs: CO MM/Pt, SPG Pt, Marriott Au, others not worth mentioning
I have literally never had this problem when I call the elite line or go into the PClub.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 10:39 pm
In memoriam

Originally Posted by CO_1mm
If you can point me to where the head of any of CO's unions has come out openly asking for the removal of LK (in the day) or Smisek, then that still wouldn't be relevant to how UA's unions feel about current UA management. The head of UA's flight attendants union was calling for Tilton's head what? Two weeks ago for the most recent round?

It would be relevant to point out that CO's unions aren't all warm-and-fuzzy for CO management, except as far as one can, they are warm and fuzzy for CO management. They just look at what was done to everyone else at major carriers (except WN) in similar positions. They may not be happy, but I can't imagine too many of them don't recognize that they were among the least scathed employees of any major airline the past two to ten years. At least, the FAs that I hear talking on my flights say things like this when they both to talk about management at all (generally the latter is a good thing).
Had you read down a couple more posts you would have found where I acknowledged the UA pilots discontent with Mr. Tilton. None the less, CO isn't the Cleaver Family, and there are some employees who are less than happy. As bad as UA, probably not, but there are still some out there.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 10:43 pm
In memoriam

Originally Posted by fozz
UA has a lot more spare planes that aren't actively flying. On any given day there are a few widebodies sitting around in SFO and LAX that can sub in quickly. CO does not have the same luxury.
I seriously doubt there are wide bodies, or narrow bodies for that matter, that are just sitting around in case of irrops.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.