Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone else like BF 764 middle seats?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2009, 12:00 pm
Original Poster

Anyone else like BF 764 middle seats?

I'm taking a EWR-BRU flight in a few weeks and once again I will be in one of those middle seats. I had my first BF flight last year and picked a middle seat after discussing it on the forum and I loved it. I loved having nobody on either side of me. I normally take window seats, but I figured most of the flight is over water anyway... Now hopefully those 764's will get those lie flat seats next....
Old Nov 14, 2009, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OMNIArchist, OMNIArchy!, OMNIIDGAS
Don't mind the middle at all but the IFE is long overdue an AVOD update...
Old Nov 14, 2009, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
6D

Love 'em... in my book the best one is 6D. You get the extra-special attention from the rear BF galley, without being too close to the galley and the lav.

Agreed the 764's need AVOD.

Probably the best layout on the 767's are the airlines that have the 1-2-2 layout in J. That solo window seat is the ultimate.
Old Nov 14, 2009, 5:55 pm
Original Poster

You think 6d is the best middle seat? I have 2d and 5d for my flight.. I think they are probably all great except for maybe the first and last middle seat...
Old Nov 14, 2009, 6:01 pm

Programs: CO Plat & MP 1K
Originally Posted by TWA Fan 1
Probably the best layout on the 767's are the airlines that have the 1-2-2 layout in J. That solo window seat is the ultimate.
I love the middle too -- would adore a solo window seat in J!
Old Nov 14, 2009, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Phillies
You think 6d is the best middle seat? I have 2d and 5d for my flight.. I think they are probably all great except for maybe the first and last middle seat...
I like 6D because you get the special attention of the rear BF galley. Since they're serving fewer people and since this crew is usually headed by the lead flight attendant, you end up with stellar service.
Old Nov 14, 2009, 6:19 pm

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
I love the middle seats on the 767, and except for the first row-- where others always want to climb over you, it is great!. As for window singles, nothing can beat SQ in F! I had the pleasure of that experience JFK-FRA-SIN a couple of years back, and now that CO is officially in *A, hope that I get to have it again!
Old Nov 14, 2009, 9:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Shouldn't these seats be called center seats, so as to not get confused with...um...middle seats?
Old Nov 15, 2009, 4:04 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Shouldn't these seats be called center seats, so as to not get confused with...um...middle seats?
YES. I read this forum because I couldn't believe the title and that anyone would like a middle seat. A center seat is different.
Old Nov 15, 2009, 11:52 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
When traveling solo, I love having the privacy. And an added plus is that I don't have to feel bad about reclining into the person behind me, nor do I feel boxed in when the person in front of me is reclining.
Old Nov 15, 2009, 3:43 pm

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Be aware, be VERY AWARE, that now that we are part of the Star Alliance, many of those members do offer 'middle seats' in Business Class-- as in a real middle seat ie: xx-xxx-xx LH is a prime example of a Business Class middle seat being offered, and yes, they do sit people in them!! In that regard, you will also find very 'small' coach seats on European flights. These are 'middle' seats that are half sized and not usualy used, except if the flight is full. I've seen an adult large sized person, trying to sit in one of those half sized seats on SAS and other intra Europe flights.
Old Nov 15, 2009, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mauld
Be aware, be VERY AWARE, that now that we are part of the Star Alliance, many of those members do offer 'middle seats' in Business Class-- as in a real middle seat ie: xx-xxx-xx LH is a prime example of a Business Class middle seat being offered, and yes, they do sit people in them!! In that regard, you will also find very 'small' coach seats on European flights. These are 'middle' seats that are half sized and not usualy used, except if the flight is full. I've seen an adult large sized person, trying to sit in one of those half sized seats on SAS and other intra Europe flights.
First, I have often flown in a J middle seat, such as UA or LH. The fact is, it's not that bad.

You can't think of a coach middle seat. You obviously have a lot more space, so you don't have that cramped feeling that makes a coach middle seat so dreadful.

Ultimately, a middle seat in business class is not so different from sitting in a CO BF window seat, except that instead of a window on one side, you have another seat. In both cases, you have to climb over someone to get out.

Regarding the "mini" middle seats you describe on SAS and others, I am trying to figure out what you mean. I have often flown on SAS domestically in Sweden, sometimes in one of their middle seats. I can assure you all the seats are exactly the same size (they're all pretty narrow and pretty cramped) but there are no mini seats.

Every airline has some planes with some slightly narrower seats (including CO), but I have yet to encounter a mini seat.
Old Nov 15, 2009, 5:20 pm

Programs: DL MM/FC/FO; UA PS; AA GLD
Originally Posted by mauld
Sounds just like AF and KLM on many/most? of their planes. I haven't been on a European flight with a 2-2 layout on their larger planes since I flew Alitalia on an MD88. The ones I have been on have a "moveable" business class, and the rows used for J have center-seat arm rests that are moved closer together and a "tray" folds down on them to make them J seats. Thus the window and aisle feel a little wider. I've never seen anyone sit in the middle seat on a row that has been set up for J. Pitch is the same throughout the plane.

Last edited by sushibear; Nov 15, 2009 at 5:30 pm
Old Nov 15, 2009, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sushibear
Sounds just like AF and KLM on many/most? of their planes. I haven't been on a European flight with a 2-2 on their larger planes since I flew Alitalia on an MD88.
I have a flown a lot of intra-Europe AF and some KL as well.

Same here; there are no mini seats.

In the so-called business section, the middle seat folds down so that there is a 2-2 arrangement. But if that seat is returned to its upright position, it is a standard economy seat.

On many Euro carriers, the "biz" section is variable, depending on how many biz tix they sell. So they just move the curtain back and forth and raise or lower these middle seats as a function of how many people are buying business-class tickets.
Old Nov 15, 2009, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sushibear
Sounds just like AF and KLM on many/most? of their planes. I haven't been on a European flight with a 2-2 on their larger planes since I flew Alitalia on an MD88.
I have a flown a lot of intra-Europe AF and some KL as well.

Same here; there are no mini seats.

In the so-called business section, the middle seat folds down so that there is a 2-2 arrangement. But if that seat is returned to its upright position, it is a standard economy seat.

On many Euro carriers, the "biz" section is variable, depending on how many biz tix they sell. So they just move the curtain back and forth and raise or lower these middle seats as a function of how many people are buying business-class tickets.

Here is an example of this arrangement, on the AF A-318:

http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Air...irbus_A318.php

The black marks indicate standard seats that fold down to create table tops. If AF sells fewer Affaires seats and more Tempo seats, then these middle seats are placed back in the upright position and the curtain is moved toward the front of the cabin.

This arrangement, btw, is one of the reasons flying Euro Biz is such a rip off.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.