FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/continental-onepass-pre-merger-488/)
-   -   Ask UA Insider: Star Alliance Announcements & Discussions (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/continental-onepass-pre-merger/1010428-ask-ua-insider-star-alliance-announcements-discussions.html)

Renard Oct 27, 2009 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by airphone (Post 12720491)
When will complimentary upgrades on united flights start?

Nothing has been announced.

I wouldn't expect them before the end of the first quarter 2010.

UA Fan Oct 27, 2009 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by channa (Post 12720475)
Aren't the *A awards significnatly cheaper? While QF F is quite nice, with the UA Flatbeds in C and F, I think they present better value at the significantly lower mileage amounts.

Better yet, if you can get NZ via AKL, that's very nice service.

I asked abt QF as it would have been really nice to have some intra-oz options.

KosraeTV Oct 27, 2009 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by Mala In Se (Post 12721794)
I just find the amount that Guam is getting screwed shocking.

For instance, the mileage levels are so screwed up that if I book one SaverPass ticket GUM -> PEK It connects in Narita for 70,000 miles.

But, if I book two tickets one GUM -> NRT, then NRT -> PEK it only costs a total of 50,000 miles.

Last week a ticket GUM -> PEK started at 25,000 miles.

Direct flights GUM -> MNL (1500 miles one way) are now 35,000 miles RT.

Continental clearly cares nothing about its customers on Guam.

WHOA... slow down there.... What you talking about Guam you a Chamoaran only bro? You got Micronesia, Palauan, Marshallese, Saipanese, Filipino's etc... all taking it up the shorts right now.

When Mark Erwin left Guam to work on the star alliance merger he swore to me that my one pass miles were safe. Safe sure, but worth about 1/3 what they were before so thanks Mark.

I sent L. Kellner an email about these and other issues in this market and he actually already emailed me back. Don't hold your breath about changes and the head of the GUM office has emailed me about these concerns. They over charge us while losing money on other routes for EWR and IAH while we bail them out year after year and they treat us like the ugly step child.

They keep the islanders standing in the rain while they let EWR and IAH inside by the fireplace and feed them.... Undercharge those markets are rape the Pacific.

L. Kellner and the GUM office are responsive but I bet Smisek and the rest of the Smith Street could care less. I think Smisek would love to spin off many of the routes out here. Jan 1 will be a shame :td::td::td:

alison11 Oct 27, 2009 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by Renard (Post 12721992)
There are co flights aplenty on United.com at least out of Houston.. so be sure to check there as it might be cheaper for the same co flight (sold as a UA codeshare) than on co.com

does the ua/co codesharing apply to co hub cities only?

alison11 Oct 27, 2009 10:24 pm

bag fee waivers

another question. it seems that the co folks got hosed by ua and us on baggage fee waivers. co silvers get no bags for free on either, yet ua or us silvers get free bags on each other. how did this backroom deal leave us co people out?

smartinez Oct 27, 2009 11:05 pm

thanks scott - much welcome news!

and I'm definitely dumping my amex plat and going back to a real PC card.

CO_1mm Oct 27, 2009 11:26 pm

Scott - I'm hoping my reading comprehension skills have failed me momentarily, but from UA's website:

Access more lounges in more locations.
United Red Carpet Club members now enjoy full access to Continental President's Club locations, expanding members' options to 58 clubs in 36 airports, including 14 lounges in 10 airports not currently served by a Red Carpet Club:
1. Atlanta
2. Austin
3. Cleveland
4. Dallas
5. Houston (five locations)
6. Ft. Lauderdale
7. Las Vegas
8. San Antonio
9. Guam
10. Panama City, Panama

Any Mileage Plus members flying in first or business class on United or Continental can also access the President's Club lounges. Additionally, Premier Executive, 1K and Global Services members can access these lounges when traveling with a same-day international ticket.
Emphasis mine. Am I reading this correctly that UA domestic F pax get into the PC for free?

cloudcuckooland Oct 28, 2009 1:27 am

Congratulations!

I have family who work for CO so this may be mixed news (they may have a harder time using their Buddy Passes to fly to France on CO if there's increased * traffic from EWR). I am looking toward the upside: I hope I can avail myself of Presidents Clubs instead of RCCs in the near furture. :cool:

yauponaustin Oct 28, 2009 2:35 am

Originally Posted by kylemore (Post 12715420)
Turkey... is it Europe or Middle East? Reason I ask is that the reward charts for the two areas are very different, yet this country is listed in both sections.

I think, as seen with other airline promos, IST is Europe, other places in Turkey considered Asia

trust77 Oct 28, 2009 2:59 am

Originally Posted by Mala In Se (Post 12721794)
I just find the amount that Guam is getting screwed shocking.

For instance, the mileage levels are so screwed up that if I book one SaverPass ticket GUM -> PEK It connects in Narita for 70,000 miles.

But, if I book two tickets one GUM -> NRT, then NRT -> PEK it only costs a total of 50,000 miles.

Last week a ticket GUM -> PEK started at 25,000 miles.

Direct flights GUM -> MNL (1500 miles one way) are now 35,000 miles RT.

Continental clearly cares nothing about its customers on Guam.

I'm also based on GUM. I don't use my miles for free tickets so I could care less about the increase in reward travel rates. I do wonder though if it was fair to "group" GUM as part of Oceania as it's close to Asia and more distant to Oceania cities. I thought GUM would be part of south asia (grouped with MNL) but I'm wrong. Again though, I don't use my miles for free tickets so the changes are less noticeabale to me than it is to you and KosraeTV. I am definitely excited though about earning 150% EQM's on the Asian carriers we can avail of like SQ, TG, and OZ.

Alaboutme Oct 28, 2009 6:26 am

Thank you.

Hi Scott,

Thank you for your post as you are always so great for the frequent flyers.

sbm12 Oct 28, 2009 7:13 am

Originally Posted by yauponaustin (Post 12722921)
I think, as seen with other airline promos, IST is Europe, other places in Turkey considered Asia

Not really. Egypt is in two regions as well - Middle East and Africa.

The correct answer, confirmed by CO Insider around 6pm EDT Tuesday in this thread, is that for destinations in multiple categories the cheaper reward cost will apply.

reotrip Oct 28, 2009 7:14 am

Thanks Scott!

Lurch Oct 28, 2009 8:05 am

The CO website lists under its PC locations the LH lounge in DTW. The only problem is that CO flies out of the McNamara terminal while the LH lounge is in the North Terminal. Are there any plans to move to the North terminal where all the * partners are or to have some club in the McNamara terminal?

sbm12 Oct 28, 2009 8:23 am

Originally Posted by Lurch (Post 12723868)
The CO website lists under its PC locations the LH lounge in DTW. The only problem is that CO flies out of the McNamara terminal while the LH lounge is in the North Terminal. Are there any plans to move to the North terminal where all the * partners are or to have some club in the McNamara terminal?

I don't think that a terminal move in DTW has been figured out one way or the other, at least not publicly. Still, CO names all clubs in the airports they are at, even when they are in a different security zone. They always have. Assuming you can get physical access to the lounge you're granted admission based on the credentials.