FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/continental-onepass-pre-merger-488/)
-   -   Ask UA Insider: Star Alliance Announcements & Discussions (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/continental-onepass-pre-merger/1010428-ask-ua-insider-star-alliance-announcements-discussions.html)

UA Insider Oct 26, 2009 11:02 pm

Ask UA Insider: Star Alliance Announcements & Discussions

Hi Everyone, well it’s finally official… Continental is now a Star Alliance member! This marks an unprecedented move from one major alliance to another, and as you might imagine, the amount of preparations that has led us up to this point has been extraordinary. Yes, there’s going to be some bumps as we complete our transition, and we appreciate your patience while we cement everything in place. As usual, we will look to our feedback channels as issues pop up (especially here on FlyerTalk), and will do our best to correct them quickly.

For those of you who want to keep up on today’s festivities, be sure to follow us on Twitter. Information about our Star Alliance joining ceremony webcast and other good stuff will be tweeted throughout the day.

Now, for the stuff we couldn't talk much about... until now. I’ll do my best to touch on the big hits. Here goes…
Mileage Earning

The mileage earning charts for our new Star Alliance partners are now posted on continental.com. Shouldn’t be any big surprises here. In addition, you can now add frequent traveler numbers of our fellow Star Alliance members for new and existing bookings.

Reward Redemption

Lots of updates on this front. Here are the highlights.
  1. New Online Reward Charts… at last. You’ve waited long enough (especially you sbm12 and eagle92), now take it in. Our new Interactive Reward Charts are ready for you. Enjoy!

2. Online reward redemption. As many of you know, we have a goal to have as many of our partners available online for reward booking as possible, and in the coming year, you’re going to see a lot of improvements on this front. In the mean time, we have our starting lineup of partners that may be redeemed online, in addition to Continental. They are: Copa Airlines (including Aero Republica), United Airlines, US Airways, Air Canada, SAS Scandinavian, bmi British Midland, TAP Portugal, LOT Polish Airlines, EgyptAir, Air China, Blue1, plus inter-island add-ons operated by Hawaiian Airlines and Island Air. With these partners in place, you should see plenty of green on the reward calendars (despite some intermittent availability issues we're still working through). Stay tuned for further expansion! Reward bookings for all other partners, as well as three-cabin First Class rewards, will need to be booked over the phone. We look forward to adding online booking for these rewards in the coming year.

3. Two partners not yet ready for redemption. There are two Star Alliance members that we will not have redemption capability on day one. They are: SWISS and Shanghai Airlines. We expect SWISS to be available for reward redemption by early/mid-November. Shanghai Airlines will likely take longer.

4. Qantas partnership to end. Many of you saw this coming, and the date has been set. Continental’s OnePass partnership with Qantas will end on December 17, 2009. After this date, OnePass reward redemption and mileage earning on Qantas will no longer be offered.

5. Expanded First and Business Class SaverPass availability for Platinum members. Continental Platinum Elite members will now have access to expanded SaverPass inventory for First, BusinessFirst, and International Business Class on Continental flights. Previously, this benefit only included BusinessFirst itineraries. Now it applies to all front cabin itineraries on Continental-operated flights.

6. Star Alliance Upgrade Awards. We’re pleased to introduce Star Alliance Upgrade Awards. While our OnePass Upgrade Rewards are a better value for travel on Continental and Copa, our new Star Alliance Upgrade Awards give you an option to redeem miles for upgrades on 16 of our fellow Star Alliance members. Please note that upgrade amounts are per-segment (not per one-way) and in most cases, upgrades awards are only valid in conjunction with Y and B class fares. For redemptions amounts, refer to our updated OnePass Travel and Upgrade Reward Charts PDF. For more information and online redemption, go to our new Star Alliance Upgrade Awards page.
Lounge Access

Our Presidents Club and Star Alliance Gold members have quite a bit to look forward to...
  1. Expanded lounge access for Presidents Club members. Presidents Club members and up to two guests or immediate family will now have access to United Airlines Red Carpet Clubs and US Airways Clubs without any same-day ticket requirement. In addition, members will have access to hundreds of lounges operated by Star Alliance members when departing on a Star Aliance flight. I hope you’ll agree, this is a major improvement.

2. Lounge access for Star Alliance Gold members. As mentioned before, our OnePass Platinum and Gold Elite members are considered Star Alliance Gold, which among other benefits, gives access to most Star Alliance member lounges (including contract lounge locations) when departing on a same-day international Star Alliance itinerary. There are over 800 lounges in all. Have at it!
That's it for now. Thanks for your patience while we complete this transition, and we hope you’ll enjoy this new chapter in Continental’s history. And yes, there’s still more to come...

J.Edward Oct 26, 2009 11:03 pm

Thanks Scott ^

FT Lurker Oct 26, 2009 11:07 pm

Thank you, Scott!

:-:

windwalker Oct 26, 2009 11:08 pm

Thanks for staying up for us FTers, Scott
Now go home and get an hour or two of shut-eye

p924s87 Oct 26, 2009 11:10 pm

Thanks!

mwitiiram Oct 26, 2009 11:10 pm

Thanks, Scott!

I'm excited! Like a child on Christmas morning!

rolov Oct 26, 2009 11:11 pm

Nice job Scott ^

colpuck Oct 26, 2009 11:11 pm

Scott,

The site says worldwide lounge access for Star Gold. I assume that needs to be changed. Will domestic restriction be limited to CO/UA/US lounges modeled on the UA/US deal? I.E. Will we be able to access other partner lounges on domestic trips?

mucho thanks.

Benjh Oct 26, 2009 11:12 pm

Fantastic!
Thanks Scott!

United757 Oct 26, 2009 11:12 pm

Yes! This is exciting...now just need to figure out the UA upgrades and E+ stuff and we are set!

COpltASgldPHX Oct 26, 2009 11:12 pm

As always, we appreciate the open line of communication you provide between us and CO. Thank you for this update and for all of your hard work over the last several months to facilitate this transition. Also, happy (belated) birthday!

fozz Oct 26, 2009 11:13 pm

Awesome! Thanks Scott.

benolaa Oct 26, 2009 11:17 pm

Thanks Scott this is Awesome!!

Having extra availability on First class for Platinum rocks. BTW I am on the phone right now trying to book 2 true FIRST (feels good to say that with CO) class tickets to Israel via lufthansa. Agent is still trying to figure out how to book it :)

SpartanFlyer86 Oct 26, 2009 11:19 pm

Very exciting, Thanks Scott!!

Can't wait to take advantage of *Gold benefits^

ng_iint Oct 26, 2009 11:20 pm

As many have already said, Thanks so much for the information!

But so far only seeing AC and VS on reward travel to LHR way out, and they are only showing Y awards.

Also, looking out into may seeing only UA to SYD, all Y.

What about all the other *A partners, nothing on LH at all.

rolov Oct 26, 2009 11:22 pm

Originally Posted by benolaa (Post 12715382)
Thanks Scott this is Awesome!!

Having extra availability on First class for Platinum rocks. BTW I am on the phone right now trying to book 2 true FIRST (feels good to say that with CO) class tickets to Israel via lufthansa. Agent is still trying to figure out how to book it :)

Booking classes are still not showing up according to agents.

Scott6067 Oct 26, 2009 11:23 pm

I feel Twitterific about the news!! ;)

benolaa Oct 26, 2009 11:24 pm

Originally Posted by rolov (Post 12715399)

Its a race I want to have the first *A booking (at least on Lufthansa)!! LOL will my agent figure it out before your agent?

DeaconFlyer Oct 26, 2009 11:25 pm

Nice to see 500 mile minimum earnings on United. I was counting on that to make Gold this year.

Thanks for all the info and all your (and your fellow employees') hard work!

rolov Oct 26, 2009 11:26 pm

Originally Posted by benolaa (Post 12715407)
Its a race I want to have the first *A booking (at least on Lufthansa)!! LOL will my agent figure it out before your agent?

I hung up they could not even see what I was asking for, if I don't get this done tonight my GF may break up with me tomorrow :eek:

kylemore Oct 26, 2009 11:28 pm

Turkey... is it Europe or Middle East? Reason I ask is that the reward charts for the two areas are very different, yet this country is listed in both sections.

filmwill Oct 26, 2009 11:28 pm

I'm being told by the agent I just spoke with that corporate is instant messaging the agents to advise customers to 'wait 24 hours' for award bookings--that the booking classes are not loaded.

He seemed frustrated that they didn't have their s**t together when they did the rollout--but, then again, didn't we all kinda expect this?

If anyone gets through the red tape tonight, please let us know.

benolaa Oct 26, 2009 11:31 pm

Originally Posted by kylemore (Post 12715420)
Turkey... is it Europe or Middle East? Reason I ask is that the reward charts for the two areas are very different, yet this country is listed in both sections.

Sounds like its customers choice whichever is the smaller amount of miles you should be able to get it for that.

AznMadSci Oct 26, 2009 11:33 pm

WAHOO!!!

Cheers Scott to you and everyone behind the scenes! This is going to be very exciting and I can't wait!!!!!

Mabuk dan gila Oct 26, 2009 11:34 pm

No Bonus Miles on Partners to Asia SUCKS BIGTIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This is B%LL SH%T!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

benolaa Oct 26, 2009 11:36 pm

Originally Posted by Mabuk dan gila (Post 12715449)

Our first angry customer of the night...and now the fun begins!

coairtul Oct 26, 2009 11:36 pm

LOL Simmer down...

Mabuk dan gila Oct 26, 2009 11:39 pm

Sorry guys, I call it like I see it:D;) I'll probably get over it.

Werckmeister Oct 26, 2009 11:43 pm

Kudos to CO for being so prompt and timely with this alliance change! I'm impressed.

On the other hand, the Star Ailliance main homepage is still without CO in sight...

UA Insider Oct 26, 2009 11:43 pm

Originally Posted by filmwill (Post 12715422)
I'm being told by the agent I just spoke with that corporate is instant messaging the agents to advise customers to 'wait 24 hours' for award bookings--that the booking classes are not loaded.

Originally Posted by benolaa (Post 12715382)
BTW I am on the phone right now trying to book 2 true FIRST (feels good to say that with CO) class tickets to Israel via lufthansa. Agent is still trying to figure out how to book it :)

Originally Posted by rolov (Post 12715399)

Hi Everyone, as you've found, we're still loading reward availability. Bear with us, it may be several hours before bookings can be made over the phone. Continental.com reward bookings, on the other hand, are churning through and the first Star Alliance reward tickets are being issued as I type.

Originally Posted by kylemore

Hi kylemore, as benolaa mentioned, the lower reward amount between the two regions will apply. Same goes for Egypt, which is in both the Northern Africa and Middle East regions.

Collins Oct 26, 2009 11:44 pm

Good stuff--thanks for the info.

Mabuk dan gila Oct 26, 2009 11:46 pm

Could I politely suggest CO itself open more routes to Asia in this brave new world. :D

COFreqFlyer Oct 26, 2009 11:48 pm

Originally Posted by Mabuk dan gila (Post 12715499)
Could I politely suggest CO itself open more routes to Asia in this brave new world. :D

Patience. Must get 787s first. :D

worldwidedreamer Oct 26, 2009 11:53 pm

All I can say is wow! This is such a positive step forward for CO passengers. I'm happy.

Benjh Oct 26, 2009 11:53 pm

Originally Posted by CO Insider (Post 12715486)
Hi Everyone

You're actually staying up to answer our questions??? Wow, this is dedication!
Scott, for those of us flying through IAH today, should we keep our eyes peeled for some kind of promo? A wild goose chase, maybe? :p

benolaa Oct 26, 2009 11:55 pm

If I book a ticket now for the end of November and then in early November Swiss becomes available for the return can I keep the outbound with Lufthansa without cancelling the ticket (loosing the space) and just replace the return as it will be the same mileage from ord-tlv via zrh instead of fra.

Scott6067 Oct 26, 2009 11:57 pm

So two questions here about the PC member and *A Gold lounge access.

1. If one has both credentials will one be able to get two people in?

2. The way I read the PC Members access to UA and US lounges is that one only needs to show card and ID similiar to the DL/NWA arrangement, is this correct? Ok, I reread what Scott wrote as compared to the website and I think this is a YES

Scott6067 Oct 26, 2009 11:59 pm

Scott,
Thanks again for announcing this and staying up with us junkies tonight!!

benolaa Oct 27, 2009 12:00 am

HELP about to book but they are coming back with a tax of $333 per ticket. Something is clearly wrong. They claim a YQ (fuel) surcharge is to be charged even though United does not charge it. This would be a very very terrible devaluation. There is a note on Oct 8 that it would not be charged. On Oct 22nd bulletin claimed charge on all itineraries.

N334AA Oct 27, 2009 12:15 am

United?