FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/continental-onepass-pre-merger-488/)
-   -   Ask UA Insider: Star Alliance Announcements & Discussions (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/continental-onepass-pre-merger/1010428-ask-ua-insider-star-alliance-announcements-discussions.html)

Renard Oct 28, 2009 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by DeaconFlyer (Post 12728740)
Thanks for stopping by.

Don't mention it. :D

HeathrowGuy Oct 28, 2009 9:28 pm

It's entirely possible CO is temporarily extending Star Golds various courtesies for an introductory/promotional period to encourage them to use CO in the future. In any event, I'm quite confident CO keeps close enough oversight over the relevant parts of the operation to determine whether agents need gentle reminders for certain policies.

BTW, speculation that Star Golds could be getting complimentary upgrades as we speak can be discounted in full right off the bat. The EUA system itself completely ignores alliance status, and CO agents know full well that attempting to circumvent the automated upgrade system for a customer is, absent compelling justification, not a career enhancing move.

bocastephen Oct 28, 2009 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by HeathrowGuy (Post 12728840)
It's entirely possible CO is temporarily extending Star Golds various courtesies for an introductory/promotional period to encourage them to use CO in the future. In any event, I'm quite confident CO keeps close enough oversight over the relevant parts of the operation to determine whether agents need gentle reminders for certain policies.

I highly doubt this. If CO was doing it (and the agents I spoke with did not claim such, but professed confusion about the documentation they were provided), it would be announced - but clearly a bad business decision to offer a benefit temporarily then pull it - especially by stealth.

BTW, speculation that Star Golds could be getting complimentary upgrades as we speak can be discounted in full right off the bat. The EUA system itself completely ignores alliance status, and CO agents know full well that attempting to circumvent the automated upgrade system for a customer is, absent compelling justification, not a career enhancing move.
The speculation was based solely on agents not understanding that *G does not equal CO Plat - and perhaps adding *G (or UA/US whatevers) to the airport upgrade list manually at the gate and clearing them because of this - when pressed to do so by UA/US Elites. There is no speculation that *G are receiving EUAs in any form.

As to the final part of your last paragraph - if that were the case, we'd never have Shenanigans!tm

CLEHillbilly Oct 28, 2009 11:29 pm

+1 ^

thaliajen Oct 29, 2009 2:10 am

Huh?

Okay, I just got my new card- Platinum with a Star alliance logo. I got an email earlier in the week welcoming me to the Star Alliance as a "Gold' member. I've read all 16 pages of posts in this thread (I skimmed a few, I admit) and am still quite confused about the lounge access. My PC membership expires this month, and I was considering not renewing it for the 1st time in many years. When I read the Star Alliance info in the welcome email, I thought it said that we are welcome in PC's as a Star Alliance Gold. Does that mean that as a Plat with CO which makes me a Gold Star Alliance member, I do NOT need a PC membership to access the PC lounges? Or, is it only if I am traveling on another alliance airline or BF Internationally?

I apologize as variations of this question have already been asked, but it really does make a difference if I do not need to re-up with the PC. I've always thought that Plat members should have access anyway, we certainly spend enough with CO, but I'm doubting it could be that easy. I'm trying to justify staying with CO through this change since NW/Delta would make more sense as I'm from DTW and NW is no longer a partner, etc., and I REALLY like CO. I'm not sure how much will change and I'm too tired to look at everything announced just yet, so I'm looking at the lounge aspect.

So, as a new Star Alliance gold and my old Plat CO Elite, do I need a new PC membership? I fly out of DTW and a PC membership no longer gets me into the NW club, so I'm thinking I won't renew this year anyway, but I am curious if this Star Alliance makes a difference when flying domestically and using Newark and Houston PCs.

Thank-you.

snod08 Oct 29, 2009 3:22 am

Originally Posted by thaliajen (Post 12729701)
Okay, I just got my new card- Platinum with a Star alliance logo. I got an email earlier in the week welcoming me to the Star Alliance as a "Gold' member. I've read all 16 pages of posts in this thread (I skimmed a few, I admit) and am still quite confused about the lounge access. My PC membership expires this month, and I was considering not renewing it for the 1st time in many years. When I read the Star Alliance info in the welcome email, I thought it said that we are welcome in PC's as a Star Alliance Gold. Does that mean that as a Plat with CO which makes me a Gold Star Alliance member, I do NOT need a PC membership to access the PC lounges? Or, is it only if I am traveling on another alliance airline or BF Internationally?

I apologize as variations of this question have already been asked, but it really does make a difference if I do not need to re-up with the PC. I've always thought that Plat members should have access anyway, we certainly spend enough with CO, but I'm doubting it could be that easy. I'm trying to justify staying with CO through this change since NW/Delta would make more sense as I'm from DTW and NW is no longer a partner, etc., and I REALLY like CO. I'm not sure how much will change and I'm too tired to look at everything announced just yet, so I'm looking at the lounge aspect.

So, as a new Star Alliance gold and my old Plat CO Elite, do I need a new PC membership? I fly out of DTW and a PC membership no longer gets me into the NW club, so I'm thinking I won't renew this year anyway, but I am curious if this Star Alliance makes a difference when flying domestically and using Newark and Houston PCs.

Thank-you.

I find this issue very confusing too. Here is how I understand it:

As a CO Plat / Gold (Star Gold), You can access PC, RCC, US Clubs if you have an International itin with a Star carrier on the same day.
If you only have a US Domestic Itin, then you cannot access PC/RCC / US clubs. However, as a Star Gold, you may be allowed to access the star-gold lounges of other star partners (if such a club exists at the airport you are leaving from).

But, some of the star-gold lounges of foreign carriers are only open for a limited time during the day, and are usually in the international terminals in various airports. So, it may not be easy to access them.

Now, if you do have a PC membership, you can access PC (of course!), RCC and US air club along with your two guests at any time the clubs are open.

Someone please correct me if any of this information is wrong.

njcommodore Oct 29, 2009 4:58 am

Originally Posted by snod08 (Post 12729833)
I find this issue very confusing too. Here is how I understand it:

As a CO Plat / Gold (Star Gold), You can access PC, RCC, US Clubs if you have an International itin with a Star carrier on the same day.
If you only have a US Domestic Itin, then you cannot access PC/RCC / US clubs. However, as a Star Gold, you may be allowed to access the star-gold lounges of other star partners (if such a club exists at the airport you are leaving from).

But, some of the star-gold lounges of foreign carriers are only open for a limited time during the day, and are usually in the international terminals in various airports. So, it may not be easy to access them.

Now, if you do have a PC membership, you can access PC (of course!), RCC and US air club along with your two guests at any time the clubs are open.

Someone please correct me if any of this information is wrong.

that's it exactly!

GoldCircle Oct 29, 2009 5:08 am

And just for completeness, *G members of non-US airlines - for example me as a BD*G - can access all north-American lounges, even on domestic itineraries. So when you see references to this, don't be confused.

This displays a fundamental difference between FFPs in the US, which revolve mostly around Upgrades (space available or some sort of coupon or mileage surrender) while FFPs in many other countries revolve around Lounge access, with upgrades generally given on an Op-Up basis.

magiciansampras Oct 29, 2009 7:39 am

Quick question regarding this alliance. As a UA 1K should I be able to select "elite" seats toward the front of the cabin when I make a reservation? I was not able to when I booked earlier today. Thanks!

sbm12 Oct 29, 2009 7:41 am

Originally Posted by magiciansampras (Post 12730679)
Quick question regarding this alliance. As a UA 1K should I be able to select "elite" seats toward the front of the cabin when I make a reservation? I was not able to when I booked earlier today. Thanks!

Officially, no.

Some OAL elites are reporting success calling in and getting them.

njcommodore Oct 29, 2009 8:05 am

Originally Posted by sbm12 (Post 12730692)
Officially, no.

What's even more stunning, and hopefully not true, is this.

UA Elites getting exit row seats online. I'm guessing it's not true based on what magiciansampras said

bocastephen Oct 29, 2009 8:08 am

Originally Posted by sbm12 (Post 12730692)
Officially, no.

The other *A benefits thread has a post from someone who was able to enter their UA number on co.com and snag their choice of preferred or exit row seats.

I think this is a big problem. I noticed a high number of exit row seats vanishing from itineraries I'm trying to book where both exit rows would have been generally empty except for me and one or two other customers - and I have almost 2 yrs of experience data on these flights to know something is wrong.

I'm going to PM Scott to make sure he has visibility on this - it directly affects the CO Plat/Gold customer experience.

sbm12 Oct 29, 2009 8:11 am

Originally Posted by bocastephen (Post 12730844)
The other *A benefits thread has a post from someone who was able to enter their UA number on co.com and snag their choice of preferred or exit row seats.

That happened according to one person and it was over the weekend, well before there was actual *A integration on the website. I think that one was a fluke, especially based on the follow-on reports suggesting that it is not happening.

bocastephen Oct 29, 2009 8:20 am

Originally Posted by sbm12 (Post 12730866)
That happened according to one person and it was over the weekend, well before there was actual *A integration on the website. I think that one was a fluke, especially based on the follow-on reports suggesting that it is not happening.

There are still reports popping up about UA/US folks calling in and getting them upon request - and my own experience talking to a res agent and the help desk. In addition, I've noticed a huge number of exit row seats getting pre-assigned which should otherwise be vacant based on my personal experience on these specific flights.

It could be a non-issue, but I've alerted Scott so we can get some official review and feedback on this being a real problem or just a small number of isolated incidents extrapolated into a big problem by our imagination. Hopefully it's the latter.

flyzabit Oct 29, 2009 8:20 am

Originally Posted by CLEHillbilly (Post 12726082)
Were the supervisors going to take any action? The UA site is definitely not allowing me to select exit or E+.

Those with enough posts should then hop over to the Coupon Connection forum and line up for 3P nominations, with something valuable to trade. I wonder if the "exchange rate" has just gone up... Good to 2/2011.

Other options are to purchase one of the 3P options on the UA site, or one could also do an MR to Europe / NRT with the right routing under their DEQM promo now for status for the price of 3P + RCC as well. Also good to 2/2011.