FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/continental-onepass-pre-merger-488/)
-   -   Ask UA Insider: Star Alliance Announcements & Discussions (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/continental-onepass-pre-merger/1010428-ask-ua-insider-star-alliance-announcements-discussions.html)

sbm12 Oct 27, 2009 10:01 am

Originally Posted by mbreuer (Post 12717617)
Lounge access... more perplexed... from the UAL site:

So domestic First on UAL get's PC access? Do we?

Probably means International First/Biz, not domestic, though it is not clear. Since regular domestic F and C don't get access to RCCs I'd be very surprised that they get in to PCs.

channa Oct 27, 2009 10:22 am

Originally Posted by channa (Post 12717246)
Heh, some things never change. I'm on Agent #4 trying to get this thing sorted.

The bug seems to be that some domestic UA segments in F are pushing the award up to the 3-class F level, despite being a on a 2-class plane.

One agent said he "got it to work" but really manually forced it, which choked up ticketing.

So the bug actually is that CO's logic for pricing awards may be off when you have a US int'l segment (non-TATL) in there.

*A Biz is I
*A First is O

US uses the O booking code for their int'l stuff, and CO is looking at that, and pushing the award into a 3-class F award, which is incorrect.

The logic needs to be a bit more complicated than that. O or I is valid at the biz award level, IF the aircraft is 2-class.

I'm finally getting them to acknowledge that there is a likely bug here.

Downside is that one agent has now ticketed me at the higher level, which makes getting this fixed even more challenging.

- Combined Rewards SB4||||SF4

Still working on it... hehe

Edit: Got it done. Agent #5 was fantastic -- she took ownership and made it happen. First, she believed me that CO could be wrong (important first step!); then she validated what I was saying; then she couldn't redo the ticket since there was no more space, so she worked with OPSC to credit the mileage overcharge back to me. She did a lot better than most of the supervisors I worked with. Mr. Hand will getting an email about her. ^

Cybershaz Oct 27, 2009 10:35 am

Originally Posted by mbreuer (Post 12717124)
Hi Scott, congratulations - I'm sure this was a huge effort.

I do have a comment and question.

1. The verbiage regarding *G lounge access is contradictory between the *G benefits page (https://www.continental.com/web/en-U...ralliance.aspx) and everything else, including your posts. Benefits page says:

Implication is that this isn't limited to international itineraries.

2. Do we earn RDM/EQM on Swiss Privatair flights?

And now on to figure out a MR to stay gold.

And further to that, what's the definitive answer on whether Canada - US flights are considered international or not. For example, flying YYZ-EWR, I'm pretty sure I'll get access in YYZ (if CO moves to T1 and I can use the MLL) but not sure about accessing a PC on my way home departing EWR.

junglist Oct 27, 2009 10:41 am

Originally Posted by Cybershaz (Post 12717958)
And further to that, what's the definitive answer on whether Canada - US flights are considered international or not. For example, flying YYZ-EWR, I'm pretty sure I'll get access in YYZ (if CO moves to T1 and I can use the MLL) but not sure about accessing a PC on my way home departing EWR.

Not sure it still applies, but in the past when I've been upgraded to First on EWR to YYZ flights, the class of service was listed as "International Business" and I was admitted into the PC..

Vulcan Oct 27, 2009 11:03 am

Originally Posted by channa (Post 12717877)
So the bug actually is that CO's logic for pricing awards may be off when you have a US int'l segment (non-TATL) in there.

*A Biz is I
*A First is O

US uses the O booking code for their int'l stuff, and CO is looking at that, and pushing the award into a 3-class F award, which is incorrect.

The logic needs to be a bit more complicated than that. O or I is valid at the biz award level, IF the aircraft is 2-class.

I'm finally getting them to acknowledge that there is a likely bug here.

Downside is that one agent has now ticketed me at the higher level, which makes getting this fixed even more challenging.

- Combined Rewards SB4||||SF4

Still working on it... hehe

Edit: Got it done. Agent #5 was fantastic -- she took ownership and made it happen. First, she believed me that CO could be wrong (important first step!); then she validated what I was saying; then she couldn't redo the ticket since there was no more space, so she worked with OPSC to credit the mileage overcharge back to me. She did a lot better than most of the supervisors I worked with. Mr. Hand will getting an email about her. ^

My FC seats on TG (LHR-BKK-SYD) are booked in 'O' class

I just checked the ANA tool and there are no mre FC seats on any of my TG flights. So fore reference purposes, TG clearly allocates only 2 FC seats on these flights.

mbreuer Oct 27, 2009 11:21 am

Originally Posted by craz (Post 12717708)
well I dont believe that was the case was it for the flights that Privatair flew under KLM. And its not any different from say a CO code-share on a non-*A Carrier. So I would think flying VS might get me CO credit but not UA credit, same with QF

Swiss is a *A member , I never saw anything saying that Privatair is as well

Privatair is usually a special case - IME, Privatair is to Swiss as COEX is to CO. However since my opinion doesn't actually count, I was looking for something explicit from CO.

Originally Posted by sbm12 (Post 12717734)
Probably means International First/Biz, not domestic, though it is not clear. Since regular domestic F and C don't get access to RCCs I'd be very surprised that they get in to PCs.

Agreed, however the wording on the UAL page talked about international access for *G in any class of service and access for any member at any level flying in First. Probably bad wording, if not then OP members should get comparable access.

MikeMpls Oct 27, 2009 11:38 am

Originally Posted by SirJman (Post 12716591)
I have my first *A flights tomorrow (TG & SQ) but seeing as I just status matched into CO Platinum, how will I go about getting lounge access? The temporary card you can print out still doesnt show any *A logos on it. Will the lounges in ICN, HKG, BKK and SIN understand that CO Plat = Star Gold?

Keep checking your mailbox until you leave. My new CO Plat card arrived on Friday, my wife's on Sat. or Mon.

& thanks much for the effort, Scott & everyone else! We have really been looking forward to this.

harpodamann Oct 27, 2009 11:52 am

Most Excellent !! THX ^

COFlyerCLE Oct 27, 2009 11:53 am

Scott - thanks for all this great info and insight. Clearly your work here is greatly appreciated!

Now I can't get out of work soon enough to sit and absorb all this. On first glance, because it is totally new, it's gonna take some time to sink in. A few drinks will help :)

channa Oct 27, 2009 11:55 am

Originally Posted by Vulcan (Post 12718143)
I just checked the ANA tool and there are no mre FC seats on any of my TG flights. So fore reference purposes, TG clearly allocates only 2 FC seats on these flights.

Not necessarily. TG can release more but they like to show O2.

I booked a flight for two (2) and a buddy of mine booked the flight shortly thereafter for one (1) more.

VS does this too.

channa Oct 27, 2009 11:56 am

Originally Posted by Vulcan (Post 12718143)
My FC seats on TG (LHR-BKK-SYD) are booked in 'O' class

Right, but that's an int'l F award that should be charged at the First Class rate.

First class gets charged as business if it's a 2-class aircraft (typically you only see that on LatAm, Caribbean, and Mexico routes, in addition to domestically).

alanh Oct 27, 2009 11:58 am

The interactive awards chart indicates that all of Russia is "Europe", including far eastern Russia (Pacific coast). Is this correct, or are destinations like UUS (served by Asiana) actually North Asia?

SEA1K4EVR Oct 27, 2009 11:59 am

I read a post in the United forum that said a UA elite was able to select free premium seating on an upcoming CO flight. Since both UA & CO's websites are silent on whether CO elites will get free Economy Plus access on United flights.. will a CO elite who has a UA flight booked care to call UA and ask if you can move to E+ for free? Thank you! Perhaps free CO premium seating is now a standard *G benefit for all *G's? E+ is not a *G benefit for any other *A airlines' elites so I'm guessing it's a no for CO elites getting free E+.

Or, CO Insider can you comment? Seems to me it's an easy answer, YES or NO.

cova Oct 27, 2009 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by CO Insider (Post 12715314)

Presidents Club members and up to two guests will now have access to United Airlines Red Carpet Clubs and US Airways Clubs without any same-day ticket requirement. In addition, members will have access to hundreds of lounges operated by Star Alliance members when departing on a Star Aliance flight. I hope you’ll agree, this is a major improvement.

Scott - the lounge charts shows only a +1 next to the blue dot (for PC members) at UA RCC and US clubs. Looks that the table needs updated with a +2 next to the blue dot.

Also - your wording above is a little different than what is on the website. The wedsite kind of implies that a PC member needs to be traveling on a *A flight to access either the UA RCC or US club. You imply that RCC and US clubs are available to PC members regardless of who they are flying or if flying at all.

MarkXS Oct 27, 2009 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by milepig (Post 12717084)
In addition, you'll get access to these lounges if you are *G and flying INLT, regardless of your membership in a club. I believe that INLT does not apply to Canada, and possibly Mexico, however. You can also bring in a guest, which I do all the time with no problem. This access is granted to all *G pax regardless of class of service - if your *G and flying INTL in Y you'll get access to the lounge.

This depends on the club operator airline's own definition of International. UA absolutely considers Mexico and Canada as Intl in terms of *G RCC access for USA-airline-program (UA, US and now CO) *G members. I've gotten into RCCs many times from my UA *G (1P and then 1K) credentials when flying to Mexico and Canada. US Airways Clubs do NOT consider it international.

Note that UA has a silly stupid overcomplicated "drink chit" system (paid bar). Literally hundreds if not thousands of posts about it on the UA board. UA's rules are that *G pax on international "transoceanic" flights get drink chits only at the "transoceanic gateway". UA's definition of "transoceanic" includes USA to South America, which crosses part of the Caribbean, but I don't think it includes Caribbean destinations themselves. So no drink chits if flying to YYZ or SJD even though I've gotten in on those trips. Also no drink chits if the lounge dragons are confused or convinced wrongly that they're right about the rules.:rolleyes:

Another example of an exeption is CDG, where there is a combined *A lounge, but UA maintains its own RCC. UA fliers aren't allowed into the *A lounge - even if *G, and are sent to the RCC instead. I have no idea what will happen with CO pax flying UA, but I'd guess they'll also be sent to the RCC. Another exception is LHR, where there is a combined *A lounge, but BD (BMI) has their own lounges and you'll be directed there when flying them.

My son and I (he was dirt in any program - now *S from getting CO Silver) lounge-hopped between the combined *A lounge and the BD lounge earlier this year based on my UA 1K *G credentials, when flying BD. I haven't flown a *A carrier through CDG, but I've lounge-hopped elsewhere. When UA was in LHR T3, on more than one occasion I hit the AC/SK London Lounge, the SQ Lounge, and the RCC.

From my experience, if you are *G and attempt to access one of the *A or contracted lounges with a guest, the guest will be allowed in only if flying on the same itin with you. Mrs. Milepig has been bounced out the the contract lounge at AMS since I was flying UA and she was on a different carrier.

Maybe on contract lounges they can do that, but the *A lounge rules explicitly say that your guest must be flying on a *A carrier from that airport that day, but does not have to be on the same flight.

Originally Posted by Cybershaz (Post 12717958)

See my comments above to milepig. I'm hoping that CO goes with the UA definition of International rather than the US definition.

Originally Posted by mbreuer (Post 12718247)
Agreed, however the wording on the UAL page talked about international access for *G in any class of service and access for any member at any level flying in First. Probably bad wording, if not then OP members should get comparable access.

Not gonna happen. Definitely bad wording, which is not surprising since it came from .bomb. Clearly the intent is "USA-based *A airline FF programs *G members in Y may only access *G lounges operated by USA-based *A airlines when traveling on an international itinerary."

I don't know why they don't come right out and put it that way.

Likewise in premium cabins on purely domestic itineraries: If you're flying BusinessFirst domestic on a CO Int config, or UA F on a 2-cabin, or UA C or F cabins on a UA 3-cabin 777/767/747, or US F or on intl-config on a domestic-only leg Envoy (if they have any intl-config hub-hub at US), you're not getting into any RCC, PC, or USAC free based on CO, UA, or US-issued Star Gold status. Not if your itinerary is purely domestic.

People who fly those routes and want lounge access are exactly the people whom UA, US, and CO want to sell club memberships. That's why they carved out an exemption in the *A lounge rules for the USA-based airlines.

Your CO-issued *G status (or UA or US) will get you into any *A lounge in the USA operated by any other *A carrier, as long as you have airside access to their club location if it's airside, and as long as you are flying out of that airport on any *A carrier.

If you want domestic USA-based-airline *A club access when flying purely domestic, and don't want to buy a PC/RCC/USAC membership, then you need to earn *G on one of the non-USA-based *A airlines. Which takes away some of the benefits you'd get only as a "native" elite on CO (or US or UA).