Reload this Page >

Waimarama Do I - Hawke's Bay Wine Country - 11-14 DECEMBER 2009

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Waimarama Do I - Hawke's Bay Wine Country - 11-14 DECEMBER 2009

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2009, 9:38 pm

NZ grab a car has rentals over this weekend for $19/day for the next 1hr and 20 mins.
Old Nov 16, 2009, 10:27 pm

Programs: QC Life, QFF Gold, VA Gold, HH nothing,IHG Gold
Originally Posted by szg
I have to announce, that I am also not able to make it. Same reason for me: end of year a lot of customers need me, so I am not able to attend.

I am really sorry, but I hope for a second Waimarama Do. All others, have fun there !!
Ah you crazy; or maybe you are less crazy as you aren't going to NZ for the weekend. What did it cost to cancel your flights.

Very dissapointed in you.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 12:21 am
szg
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH(OS) HON, IC RA
Originally Posted by Bundy Bear
Ah you crazy; or maybe you are less crazy as you aren't going to NZ for the weekend. What did it cost to cancel your flights.

Very dissapointed in you.
I booked an award trip for 3 weeks, including China, NZ and OZ. Cancellation fee was 50 EUR.
Old Nov 18, 2009, 5:54 am

Programs: QF LTG, Velocity FF Red, HH Diamond, PC Platinum Ambassador, UA Nothing
Will,

I can finally confirm that I will be attending alone and that Sue is unfortunately a scratching. Due the changes in things I do need some accom somewhere if anything is available and I'll confirm flights etc ASAP, hopefully tomorrow.
Old Nov 19, 2009, 8:29 am
In memoriam
Original Poster

Programs: QF WP & AA EXP
Hi all,

Have finally got some details for the Do.

Unfortunately despite numerous emails sent and messages left for the paragliding company, they have still not gotten back to me. Dad's also advised that one of the quad bikes and the jetski are out of action. So there goes part of the fun.

Not to worry however, as there will still be plenty of what I'm sure most of you are coming for - the wine.

On Friday 11 Dec, most of the day will be spent assembling the group that arrives then, and just wandering around Napier, perhaps with a visit to the National Aquarium and/or Museum. We've got reservations at East Pier from 5pm (for drinks - dinner service starts from 6pm). After dinner we'll all head out to Waimarama for those that are staying there.

Saturday starts with a tour of Arataki Honey at 9am. This includes a "guide walking you through the various displays, a guided honey tasting, explanation of the different honey types and flavours, and a free 250gm pot of Arataki Honey". Cost for this is $8.

From there we'll move on to cheese at the Te Mata Cheese factory. Regulations don't allow us to actually enter the factory itself, but all the "action" can be seen through windows, and of course some commentary and cheese tastings to follow. $5 pp.

Then we'll have lunch at Craggy Range, before heading out to Cape Kidnappers to see the Gannets. Elephant Hill Winery is also close by, but unfortunately they could not be convinced to provide a tour on the weekends (which for some reason are only run Mon-Fri!) However, they will provide a wine tasting from a selection of their wines and we'll also be having dinner here.

On Sunday - it's the perfect breakfast. From 10am, Silky Oaks Chocolate will provide a tour of their chocolate museum - the only one in the Southern Hemisphere, apparently. We'll also be served a selection of their best chocolates, and a chance to view the chocolate making process while a guide talks us through it. Again, regulations do not allow us to actually enter the factory itself.

We then have an hour-long tour at Mission Estate, followed by lunch. They are offering us a set menu for $40pp which I will post a little later. We then move on to Church Road for a tour of thier wine museum. Then some free time until dinner at Jarks at Waimarama - perhaps this could be filled with yet more drinking at one of the local bars in Havelock North.

They only problem I foresee with the weekend's events is that so far transport has been difficult, and obviously driving is probably not going to be recommended given the amount of alcohol likely to be consumed, because, let's face it, you're Flyertalkers. However, I am still working on this - and you know how it goes. Where there's a Will, there's a way.

Monday has no real things planned, other than just chillin' on the beach. This was the day I was trying to arrange paragliding for, however as mentioned I've not yet had much luck.
Old Nov 19, 2009, 11:39 am

wijomas, that is an excellent itinerary. ^^

I will probably jump the gun in my asking this, but is it pay-as-you-go or will there be prepayment required? (If the latter, do you accept Amex? Just kidding...)

I have already booked my NPE-AKL for early evening on Sunday, so I will miss the much famed dinner at Jarks. I will probably need to depart in the "free time" you speak about (and of course somehow find a way to get to NPE airport, though I imagine I will not be alone on this one).

Not sure if the change fee + fare difference is incentive enough to go to Jarks.
Old Nov 19, 2009, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Nice itinerary ^

I am sharing a hire car with jswong who is scheduled to arrive in to Napier at 9:25 just before me at 9:30. So we'll miss the Honey tour.

I guess we'll try to catch up at the Te Mata Cheese factory by 10:30am.

http://maps.google.co.nz/maps?f=q&so...=UTF8&t=h&z=11

Then head to Craggy Range

http://maps.google.co.nz/maps?f=d&so...54502&t=h&z=14

Last edited by serfty; Nov 20, 2009 at 5:04 am
Old Nov 20, 2009, 1:25 am

Programs: UA LTG QF LTG/P1 NZ*E
Originally Posted by serfty
I am sharing a hire car with jswong who is scheduled to arrive in to Napier at 8:25 just before me at 9:30. So we'll miss the Honey tour.
Actually I arrive at 09:25 which is even better. Have booked a car but the choice was dictated by the opening hours. I'm sure my iPhone loaded with TomTom will get us where we need to be. As it stands I did live in HB for about three years so know how to get around the area

Jeff
Old Nov 20, 2009, 5:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by jswong
Actually I arrive at 09:25 which is even better. ...
I knew that!
Old Nov 22, 2009, 1:56 pm

Programs: some
Unfortunately I will have to pull out of the do....Hope everyone has a great time.
Old Nov 23, 2009, 12:33 am
In memoriam
Original Poster

Hi all,

I've now uploaded the set menu and wine list for Mission Estate (where we are going for lunch on Sunday).

Also, I've created a quick payments page to pay for the events that must be prepaid.

As usual, once paid these are non-refundable. Payment MUST be received by 5pm on 8 December 2009 (NZT) or you will likely not be able to participate in that particular event.

Please ensure to either include your FT handle when making the payment, or PM me your transaction ID.

At this stage transportation should be fine getting from and to Waimarama to/from the events, but possibly not to and from the airport for each person. A taxi each way is likely quite expensive (upwards of $90+) - so I suggest sharing wherever possible. On Friday, I'll hopefully be able to arrange a minibus to take us from East Pier out to Waimarama.

Look forward to seeing everyone in less than 3 weeks!

Will
Old Nov 23, 2009, 12:34 am
In memoriam
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Fliar
Unfortunately I will have to pull out of the do....Hope everyone has a great time.
Sorry to miss you!
Old Nov 23, 2009, 4:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BD, QF, QR/EY/GF & HH Gold/SPG, Hertz#1G
I'd REALLY love to join you.

You've chosen the wineries well. Church Rd was a revelation for a couple of wines and Mission was great fun. There were a few others we loved, but those were the last of our last visit (Elephant Hill was the first and it was interesting, too, so you should enjoy them all).

There were a couple of other amazing wineries, away from both the beach and the gravel gimlet, I just remember that we visited a very nice, very long-established one just before Black Barn (Abba fans or antifans will notice their logo) and another which was a pretty huge enterprise, on another side of a great range... set up to take in the mountaintop view.

Back to the beachside wineries, we visited the last one along at the end of the day (the one with a restaurant, very nice) and ended up with some very nice early noughties bordeaux style red.

I'll have to check on the photos, to update with the names of the various places.

It's hard to beat beaches and wineries.
Old Nov 23, 2009, 9:29 pm
In memoriam
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BiziBB
I'd REALLY love to join you.
Is that a "I'd really love to join you. I'll be there!" or a "I'd really love to join you, but..." ?
Old Nov 23, 2009, 10:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BD, QF, QR/EY/GF & HH Gold/SPG, Hertz#1G
Originally Posted by wijomas
Is that a "I'd really love to join you. I'll be there!" or a "I'd really love to join you, but..." ?
but...

have yet to 'grab a seat'!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.