Waimarama Do I - Hawke's Bay Wine Country - 11-14 DECEMBER 2009

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Waimarama Do I - Hawke's Bay Wine Country - 11-14 DECEMBER 2009

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2009, 9:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
I've got to move to a "no". I *will* be coming to NZ that month but will be in country from Dec 20 - Dec 31 so hope to keep an eye here and use some of your suggestions.

(If anyone will still be around then, I'm still arranging my schedule so PM me....)
Old Jul 11, 2009, 8:53 pm
In memoriam
Original Poster

Programs: QF WP & AA EXP
Originally Posted by techgirl
I've got to move to a "no". I *will* be coming to NZ that month but will be in country from Dec 20 - Dec 31 so hope to keep an eye here and use some of your suggestions.

(If anyone will still be around then, I'm still arranging my schedule so PM me....)
Sorry you can't make it, techgirl I'll be in NPE for Christmas, and probably in AKL for some of the time that you're here. Feel free to PM me when you're around.
Old Jul 13, 2009, 4:38 am

Programs: DL Plat, NZ Elite, QF Plat
Originally Posted by techgirl

I will be in AKL during that time. Maybe a separate dinner/lunch/drinks DO closer to the time could be arranged.
Old Jul 30, 2009, 9:01 pm

Put me as Bronze unfortunately. Would have loved to come, but given I'll have just got back from a month in Europe I don't think I can get the time off work.
Old Jul 30, 2009, 11:37 pm
In memoriam
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flashware
Put me as Bronze unfortunately. Would have loved to come, but given I'll have just got back from a month in Europe I don't think I can get the time off work.
Sorry you can't make it, flashware!
Old Aug 3, 2009, 8:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
A free upgrade! Well, providing you don't charge me, please upgrade me+1 to Plat (note the reduction - Mrs TK and TK Son#1 will be in Thailand).

Cheers, TK
Old Aug 3, 2009, 9:48 pm

At the moment, my options are:
  • Rush back to AKL and NPE for this Do, effectively turning my HKG stop over (return from Europe) into a mere short stop.
  • Enjoy more time in HKG and possibly more of Asia, and not turn up at this DO
Decisions, decisions.......
Old Aug 3, 2009, 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by anat0l
At the moment, my options are:
  • Rush back to AKL and NPE for this Do, effectively turning my HKG stop over (return from Europe) into a mere short stop.
  • Enjoy more time in HKG and possibly more of Asia, and not turn up at this DO
Decisions, decisions.......
Go to the DO! I'm considering a few months off work, so put me up as Silver now.
Old Aug 3, 2009, 10:47 pm

Programs: QF LTG, Velocity FF Red, HH Diamond, PC Platinum Ambassador, UA Nothing
Go to the DO! I'm considering a few months off work, so put me up as Silver now.

Are you confused, because you have us confused?
Old Aug 3, 2009, 11:12 pm

I'm definitely going to be in AKL around this time. So the only thing stopping me at the moment is going to be work arrangements and I won't be able to confirm attendance until mid-to-late November. However, if I am able to make it I will be driving down from AKL (I know...not in the FT spirit ) so will post on here when I can confirm availability and happy to drive people down as well.
Old Aug 4, 2009, 1:41 am
In memoriam
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
upgrade me+1 to Plat
Done, and you also have the last remaining bedroom. Any further people requiring beds may be in the living room... but we still have a few beds hiding away that can come out if needed. Or the couches.

Rush back to AKL and NPE for this Do
^

put me up as Silver now.
Done ^

Originally Posted by NZ_Flyer
I'm definitely going to be in AKL around this time. So the only thing stopping me at the moment is going to be work arrangements and I won't be able to confirm attendance until mid-to-late November. However, if I am able to make it I will be driving down from AKL (I know...not in the FT spirit ) so will post on here when I can confirm availability and happy to drive people down as well.
Look forward to you hopefully being able to make it!
Old Aug 4, 2009, 8:09 am

Originally Posted by wijomas
Done, and you also have the last remaining bedroom. Any further people requiring beds may be in the living room... but we still have a few beds hiding away that can come out if needed. Or the couches.
That's fine. Can you supply bedding? I don't think I'll be carting a sleeping bag with me... especially all around Europe.

Originally Posted by wijomas
^
Can I blame you partially for me being in the finals of "most insane flyer of the year in Oceania"? (oh wait, I'm not flying doing that crazy BGI run....but I know someone that is....)

Scenario: I depart from LHR via VS200, dep 08/12 and arrive ~1700h the next day at HKG. After giving QF a call this afternoon, I have some....options.....
  1. I could fly HKG-AKL direct in J on 09/12. CX107 dep 09DEC 2145h arr 10DEC 1305h; op a/c 343. Then I have an easy hop to NPE and somehow then to Waimarama. 80,500 pts + AUD 87.90 +++ inc. booking fee. Have no idea about CX's 343 product in J.
  2. Other option which is subject to approval from WP request is HKG-SYD-AKL in J (Skyslopes followed by Millennium ). QF128 dep 10DEC 2010h arr 11DEC 0810h; op a/c 744. TT flight has not been advised and is subject to availability; I'm hoping like hell it will not be the dreaded QF113 (and before you say anything, LA800 does not operate on Fridays), because it will mean either taking the last AKL-NPE flight of the night and arriving in Waimarama in the dead of night (everyone sleeping or plastered), or the first AKL-NPE flight on the Saturday. J points cost will be 84,000 without the booking fee; taxes TBA.

Option A
Pros: Arrive with "plenty of time", experience a new product, easy direct flight.
Cons: Least time in HKG (which means little time to experience HKG lounges), risky if my VS flight is delayed.

Option B
Pros: Spare time in HKG, covers VS delays (unless it is > 24 hrs), more time to enjoy lounges, some time in SYD F Lounge before heading to NZ.
Cons: More expensive (points and cash), not guaranteed.

I guess I should be more sage and perhaps just accept a Y+ (63k points only, of course only Y on TT) or Y (42k points) award instead. After all, it is merely an overnight flight and a TT............

Sounds like an interesting DO - although I'm not an extreme sportsperson..... Will be looking keenly at the NZ GAS website when they (if they do) release GAS fares for AKL/NPE. I'm also thinking of kicking on to CHC after NPE - does anyone think this is a good/bad idea?
Old Aug 4, 2009, 4:29 pm

]I could fly HKG-AKL direct in J on 09/12. CX107 dep 09DEC 2145h arr 10DEC 1305h; op a/c 343. Then I have an easy hop to NPE and somehow then to Waimarama. 80,500 pts + AUD 87.90 +++ inc. booking fee. Have no idea about CX's 343 product in J.
How about this option but in Y using points. Have an afternoon and night in AKL at a cheap hotel to recover from 12 hours in Y then head down to NPE earlyish on 11/12. You save points and $ on taxes flying Y vs J and get to recover somewhat as well.
Old Aug 4, 2009, 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by NZ_Flyer
How about this option but in Y using points. Have an afternoon and night in AKL at a cheap hotel to recover from 12 hours in Y then head down to NPE earlyish on 11/12. You save points and $ on taxes flying Y vs J and get to recover somewhat as well.
Aaaahh - you're no fun aren't you?

Nice idea, although again I'd rather leave on the 10th rather than the 9th. Yes, this will mean getting to NPE late (whether this is late or excruciatingly late is a different matter).

I think I'm leaning towards a Y+ award on QF all the way on this one, if I can get a seat on a SYD-AKL flight around midday rather than QF113.
Old Aug 4, 2009, 8:10 pm

Aaaahh - you're no fun aren't you?

Nice idea, although again I'd rather leave on the 10th rather than the 9th. Yes, this will mean getting to NPE late (whether this is late or excruciatingly late is a different matter).

I think I'm leaning towards a Y+ award on QF all the way on this one, if I can get a seat on a SYD-AKL flight around midday rather than QF113.
QF don't fly whY+ on TT flights do they?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.