FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Waimarama Do I - Hawke's Bay Wine Country - 11-14 DECEMBER 2009
Old Nov 19, 2009, 8:29 am
wijomas
In memoriam

Programs: QF WP & AA EXP
Hi all,

Have finally got some details for the Do.

Unfortunately despite numerous emails sent and messages left for the paragliding company, they have still not gotten back to me. Dad's also advised that one of the quad bikes and the jetski are out of action. So there goes part of the fun.

Not to worry however, as there will still be plenty of what I'm sure most of you are coming for - the wine.

On Friday 11 Dec, most of the day will be spent assembling the group that arrives then, and just wandering around Napier, perhaps with a visit to the National Aquarium and/or Museum. We've got reservations at East Pier from 5pm (for drinks - dinner service starts from 6pm). After dinner we'll all head out to Waimarama for those that are staying there.

Saturday starts with a tour of Arataki Honey at 9am. This includes a "guide walking you through the various displays, a guided honey tasting, explanation of the different honey types and flavours, and a free 250gm pot of Arataki Honey". Cost for this is $8.

From there we'll move on to cheese at the Te Mata Cheese factory. Regulations don't allow us to actually enter the factory itself, but all the "action" can be seen through windows, and of course some commentary and cheese tastings to follow. $5 pp.

Then we'll have lunch at Craggy Range, before heading out to Cape Kidnappers to see the Gannets. Elephant Hill Winery is also close by, but unfortunately they could not be convinced to provide a tour on the weekends (which for some reason are only run Mon-Fri!) However, they will provide a wine tasting from a selection of their wines and we'll also be having dinner here.

On Sunday - it's the perfect breakfast. From 10am, Silky Oaks Chocolate will provide a tour of their chocolate museum - the only one in the Southern Hemisphere, apparently. We'll also be served a selection of their best chocolates, and a chance to view the chocolate making process while a guide talks us through it. Again, regulations do not allow us to actually enter the factory itself.

We then have an hour-long tour at Mission Estate, followed by lunch. They are offering us a set menu for $40pp which I will post a little later. We then move on to Church Road for a tour of thier wine museum. Then some free time until dinner at Jarks at Waimarama - perhaps this could be filled with yet more drinking at one of the local bars in Havelock North.

They only problem I foresee with the weekend's events is that so far transport has been difficult, and obviously driving is probably not going to be recommended given the amount of alcohol likely to be consumed, because, let's face it, you're Flyertalkers. However, I am still working on this - and you know how it goes. Where there's a Will, there's a way.

Monday has no real things planned, other than just chillin' on the beach. This was the day I was trying to arrange paragliding for, however as mentioned I've not yet had much luck.