777 Vegas Do baby! July 7 in Las Vegas

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

777 Vegas Do baby! July 7 in Las Vegas

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2007, 12:45 pm

Programs: United Gold
Wow, when I made the post about Green Valley Ranch, I didn't expect it to be taken up so quickly! I'll be there. I'll probably be wearing a blue baseball cap that says "Eric's of Breckenridge". I'll also probably be very sweaty since I most likely will walk over since I live about 5 minutes walking.

Regarding the various eateries:

1) Buffet is very good, particularly as these buffets go. In fact, of all the Vegas buffets I've been to, I've only enjoyed the Wynn more. The price is not that much more than if you went to a menu place.

2) The Grand Cafe is, um, average to put it kindly.

3) The Original Pancake house is quite good, but there will probably be a line, and it may take longer to be seated.

4) The sushi place won't be open but it is great when it is.

Regarding poker: the poker room there is very nice. The players are definitely more competent than on the strip. Also, if you aren't from here, it can sometimes be a little off-putting when it seems that everyone knows everybody, including the dealers.

Regarding the shuttle: the shuttle goes between Green Valley Ranch and Mandalay Bay. Technically you are supposed to be a guest at the hotel to use it, but they don't check. It is, however, first come first serve, and sometimes they run out of space. The shuttle holds about 16 people.

Regarding Green Valley Ranch in general: Things that are there that you can pay for: spa treatments that are supposed to be nice, a very nice pool setup, a pretty good movie theater. There is also "the district", which is a shopping area that is set up like "Main Street, USA". It reminds me a lot of Walnut St. in Pittsburgh, except that it didn't exist 5 years ago. It is nice to walk around except that it will be upwards of 110 degrees most likely.

I am not on the GVR payroll. (In fact, in someways I support the payroll ), but I do like the area.
Old Jul 3, 2007, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Thanks! Glad I caught you before taking off for the airport. See you there.

Mike
Old Jul 4, 2007, 11:28 am

Programs: NW Gold and now Delta Gold
Unfortunately I've been informed this morning that my traveling companion has tired of Vegas and wants to head over to Arizona. So it looks like I can't make the "do" after all. If anything changes, I'll let you guys know.
Old Jul 4, 2007, 1:32 pm

Programs: Star Alliance
Originally Posted by peachfront
Unfortunately I've been informed this morning that my traveling companion has tired of Vegas and wants to head over to Arizona. So it looks like I can't make the "do" after all. If anything changes, I'll let you guys know.
My neighbor's porch thermometer just read 113.4, a few minutes later: 113.7... I don't know if that's what's tiring your traveling companion, but I'm certain it's at least part of the equation!
Old Jul 4, 2007, 2:12 pm

So you're saying it's hot there?

One "insider's" tip I heard today was to visit Olives Las Vegas at Bellagio right around 2:30pm just as lunch service is winding down and take a seat on the terrace. Order a starter/flatbread dish and sit under the umbrellas and misters and wait for a perfect view of the fountain shows. I'm told since they stop service at 3pm, they're not in a rush to push you out, so you can hang out there leisurely. Might be a nice thing to do on one of the days if there's nothing previously planned...
Old Jul 4, 2007, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

It actually doesn't feel too bad here. The whole "dry heat" thing about the desert means that it was quite bearable, and I hate the heat normally.

See y'all Saturday.

Mike
Old Jul 5, 2007, 1:48 am

Programs: King of Rental Cars, BA Gold, Virgin Gold, AA MM Gold, A3 Gold, SK Gold, Hotel SuperElite
As I previously mentioned, I am being pried away from this DO and not going to be home 7/7/7 A big thanks to mikeef for taking over DO responsibility.

I am flying back in to LAS early on 7/8/07. I know its pricey and I don't know if they have any reservations available, but I want to check out Bally's Sterling Brunch. Is anyone interested in brunch Sunday? If not Bally's, then somewhere for food, talk, and good times.

Anyone interested?
Old Jul 5, 2007, 4:54 am

Programs: UA, AA, AS, SPG.
Ladies and Gentlemen, lady luck is with me today.....I forgot my employee badge today and the temporary badge I was given was #007
Old Jul 5, 2007, 10:33 am

Programs: NW Gold and now Delta Gold
I'm guessing it's just as hot or hotter in Phoenix. He's been here a few weeks, and I think he's just getting tired of entertaining the endless parade of friends and relatives. Would have loved to have seen the owls though. Am guessing from the description of their aggressiveness toward small dogs that these are Great Horned Owls.

Originally Posted by Sunnyhere
My neighbor's porch thermometer just read 113.4, a few minutes later: 113.7... I don't know if that's what's tiring your traveling companion, but I'm certain it's at least part of the equation!
Old Jul 5, 2007, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by peachfront
I'm guessing it's just as hot or hotter in Phoenix. He's been here a few weeks, and I think he's just getting tired of entertaining the endless parade of friends and relatives. Would have loved to have seen the owls though. Am guessing from the description of their aggressiveness toward small dogs that these are Great Horned Owls.
According to the weather report, it's about 116 here and 126 there, so I think you guys are "winning."

Maybe the owls are just congregating for the new Harry Potter book?

Mike
Old Jul 5, 2007, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mrp Alert
As I previously mentioned, I am being pried away from this DO and not going to be home 7/7/7 A big thanks to mikeef for taking over DO responsibility.

I am flying back in to LAS early on 7/8/07. I know its pricey and I don't know if they have any reservations available, but I want to check out Bally's Sterling Brunch. Is anyone interested in brunch Sunday? If not Bally's, then somewhere for food, talk, and good times.

Anyone interested?

Unfortunately, we have an 11 am flight. Maybe we'll see you in the airport again.

I'm still working on my wife to just pick up and move to Vegas. Sigh.

Mike
Old Jul 5, 2007, 3:45 pm

Programs: Whoever Has the Best Bonus
So after the cancellations who's still in? I got a call from an old co-worker who is going to be in town on 7/7/7 also ... so I may get pulled away to go see him, but I will post Fri night if I have to cancel. It is hot here but it definitely is a dry heat, bearable
Old Jul 5, 2007, 3:57 pm

Programs: UA, AA, AS, SPG.
I'm ALL-IN!! Sitting here in the PIT club drinking a Yuengling waiting for flight 777 to LAS. Anyone up for drinks tonight (sometime after 11pm)?

On my to do list is going Jet Skiing at Lake Mead. Anyone up for that either tomorrow or Sunday? I think its about $40 per hour plus the cost of fuel. The lake water is nice and warm and you can jet ski right up to the Hoover Dam. It's pretty sweet. Pics from last year: http://geoffreypalcher.com/lasvegas1b.htm

See everyone is LAS!
Old Jul 5, 2007, 10:59 pm

Programs: King of Rental Cars, BA Gold, Virgin Gold, AA MM Gold, A3 Gold, SK Gold, Hotel SuperElite
Wirelessly posted (probably driving while typing: LGE-VX9400/1.0 UP.Browser/6.2.3.2 (GUI) MMP/2.0)

Originally Posted by uva185
I'm ALL-IN!! Sitting here in the PIT club drinking a Yuengling waiting for flight 777 to LAS. Anyone up for drinks tonight (sometime after 11pm)?

On my to do list is going Jet Skiing at Lake Mead. Anyone up for that either tomorrow or Sunday? I think its about $40 per hour plus the cost of fuel. The lake water is nice and warm and you can jet ski right up to the Hoover Dam. It's pretty sweet. Pics from last year: http://geoffreypalcher.com/lasvegas1b.htm

See everyone is LAS!
I might be up for drinks tonight. I pm ed you my phone number. Lake mead sounds like fun too. mikeef i arrive around nine am so we may cross paths at las. We can work out the details over the weekend. I hope everyone else has a wonderful time on sat. One final note for those of you here on mon night, the infamous kinglobjaw from the us forum will be traversing las and i am going to meet him. Anyone is welcome to join us.
Old Jul 6, 2007, 3:52 am

Wirelessly posted (probably driving while typing: LGE-VX9400/1.0 UP.Browser/6.2.3.2 (GUI) MMP/2.0)

By unanimous consent of schmutzigmsp uva185 and i, we are going to the lake on sunday. Stay tuned for the final itinerary.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.