Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DC-10 Retirement DO - HNL 1/7/07

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2006, 5:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
On an award ticket (if you're Plat, no change fees), you book what's closest to what you need, i.e. start with round trip in coach. Then change the return portion to first.

If you're paying $$$ or not Plat, it's cheaper to call the reservation line and have them book exactly what you want.

Right now, I'd book the RT in coach & fire off the PM to RC & find out what's up.
Old Nov 5, 2006, 6:58 am

Programs: Delta PM,UA 1P,
Originally Posted by ORDguy
Also I'm a WorldClub member so I can get two in for pre-flight festivities.
Although I am not a NW guy, I think this retirement party is a cool idea.
This past winter and spring I was flying weekly between Atl and DTW. Because of this I bought a WC membership. The membership expires in FEB. and since I am not flying into any WC strongholds any more I will probably let it go. But in the meantime I was thinking if someone going to this party in HNL wanted to borrow my card, I dont think I would have a problem with that.

If this is inappropriate or in some way considered wrong I apologize.
I think this party will be pretty special and just wanted to help out in a small way.
Old Nov 5, 2006, 8:47 am

Originally Posted by BondAir007
I am REALLY, REALLY on the fence...

I would like to fly FC on the last flight NWA DC10 from HNL to MSP. But, I don't want to use millage, and the cost for going one way. $ yikes! ouch!
Well, you could book a cheaper ticket from "somewhere else"-HNL and then do an award ticket from HNL-MSP-HNL. Getting to "somewhere else" from MSP might be easier than paying through the roof. Also, redtailshark posted a way to work this flight into a MR if you can get to the West Coast. I might look into that.

Originally Posted by tonerman
If this is inappropriate or in some way considered wrong I apologize.
I think this party will be pretty special and just wanted to help out in a small way.
When you show a WorldClub membership, you also have to show an ID. Generally, letting others use your membership is a no-no, so I think we shouldn't try this. As an aside, I think there are enough people attending (right now) that have memberships to get everyone in. Thanks for the thought, though. How about making the trek yourself to join us?
Old Nov 5, 2006, 9:25 am

Programs: Delta PM,UA 1P,
Originally Posted by SchmutzigMSP
When you show a WorldClub membership, you also have to show an ID. Generally, letting others use your membership is a no-no, so I think we shouldn't try this. As an aside, I think there are enough people attending (right now) that have memberships to get everyone in. Thanks for the thought, though. How about making the trek yourself to join us?
I have thought about it but it doesnt really fit into my plans very well. I will be on Maui for Xmas so not sure I could swing it.
As for the WC membership I don't remeber ever showing ID at the DTW club, although I may have at first and since I was there 2x a week for about 4 months they may have recognized me and let me slide.

Thanks for the offer!! hope you guys/gals have a great time
Old Nov 5, 2006, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Shall we start planning some pre-flight events? Sounds like some of us will be in HNL/surrounding areas at least a few days before the flight. How about some dinners (Sam Choy's? plate lunches?). Tours? Go visit sights from Lost? Anyone up for SCUBA? Trek to another island for a day trip?
We are arriving on the 4th. I think for the most part my wife & I would rather see the sights since we've never been to Hawaii before. FlyerTalk socializing seems to increase the drinking (not that I'm innocent in that dept.) & partying & reduce the sightseeing.

However, I'm game for a late evening dinner or two on Saturday, maybe Friday -- are there any restaurants or eating experiences we shouldn't miss?

For the departure day, I'm up for a complete Tour de Lounge, including any Presidents Clubs & Crown Room Clubs. Are there any good restaurants in the airport for a lunch mid tour?

I will rearrange the attendees list in the base post to include arrival info & hotels & interests.
Old Nov 5, 2006, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
If there are parties needing a ride from the airport to their Hotel, I might be able to help, schedule permitting. I'm also an excellent tour guide on that Airport-Waikiki route and we'll take Nimitz, not the freeway.
Old Nov 5, 2006, 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by MikeMpls
We are arriving on the 4th. I think for the most part my wife & I would rather see the sights since we've never been to Hawaii before. FlyerTalk socializing seems to increase the drinking (not that I'm innocent in that dept.) & partying & reduce the sightseeing.
I don't have too much experience in this department (extensive FlyerTalk socializing), but I'm interested in seeing the sights as well. I guess it would be ideal if some/several/all? of us wanted to see some of the same things and we could go as a group. But if people want to do their own thing, that's cool, too. I wouldn't expect people to want to hang out with FlyerTalkers the whole time.

I think a dinner or two would be a good start, and then if people want to make any further group plans above and beyond that, so be it. slipphas, have any can't miss places in mind? Otherwise I'll have to resort to my various Food Network/Travel Channel recordings to see where they recommend.
Old Nov 5, 2006, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
I think a dinner or two would be a good start, and then if people want to make any further group plans above and beyond that, so be it. slipphas, have any can't miss places in mind? Otherwise I'll have to resort to my various Food Network/Travel Channel recordings to see where they recommend.
Well there are several "where to eat on Oahu" threads running around on the Hawaii forum. Hawaii's got many, many great places to eat. Any idea what you're looking for?
Old Nov 5, 2006, 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by slippahs
Well there are several "where to eat on Oahu" threads running around on the Hawaii forum. Hawaii's got many, many great places to eat. Any idea what you're looking for?
Oh, well I'll head over there to take a look...but anything I guess particular to Hawai'i, local flavor, y'know? I don't care if there's a top-rated French place on Waikiki, I'd rather not do that on a visit to HNL. Naturally, you'd be invited to any such dinners if you were free, so someplace you like would also be good.
Old Nov 5, 2006, 5:09 pm
Suspended

Location: Tucson, AZ, USA. UA 1K, reluctant but * best in class * DL FO/MM. Former BA jumpseat rider and scourge of Dilbertian management and apologists. As LX might - and do - say: "....an experienced frequent flyer of international airlines"
Oh, well I'll head over there to take a look...but anything I guess particular to Hawai'i, local flavor, y'know? I don't care if there's a top-rated French place on Waikiki, I'd rather not do that on a visit to HNL. Naturally, you'd be invited to any such dinners if you were free, so someplace you like would also be good.
My no-miss HNL eateries, Hawai'ian style: Plate lunch from the van at University and Metcalfe. Dinner at Irifune on Kapahulu, it's been great for aeons. Ahi. Leonard's bakery, also on Kapahulu, about 2 miles from Kapi'olani Park. Their malasadas are a sacred ritual on the way to the surf. Gotta get to Makapu'u, if the North Shore is too serious.

RTS
Old Nov 5, 2006, 6:41 pm

Cool! Nice start of a list. ^

I'll be flying into HNL on a standby basis, so I'm not sure which date I'll arrive. I think I'm going to hope to get in on the 5th, but start trying to fly out on the 4th. That will give me some legroom in case I miss a flight. Dunno where I'll stay yet, but probably will rent a car so I don't have to inconvenience anyone by asking for rides at odd times.
Old Nov 5, 2006, 9:48 pm

Programs: DL-Platinum / AS-PlatPro / Hyatt - Glob / Hilton-Diamond
Talking I'm On !!!

Seat 3G

I'm doing it backwards ... well, actually ... in a circle.
Wanted to also try the A-330. So I go HNL-MSP-DFW, a few days w/Dad then back to the islands. I live in PHX So America We ..err.. USAirways will fly me to HNL and back the following week. Yea, I'm a nut

I'll be alone and do have a WorldClubs membership. Has anyone thot of a way to co-ordinate hooking members up with some guests ??

Steve
Old Nov 6, 2006, 10:08 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
I'm coming in on the Big Bird on Friday the 5th (unless they offer a nice bump). Planning a day to trip to Kauai on Saturday, then a relatively relaxing Sun in HNL area to rest up for the trip, although I'll inevitably end up doing some sightseeing.

So if that fits anyone's plans, let me know...
Old Nov 6, 2006, 11:16 am

Programs: Non-Affiliated
Originally Posted by Alpha Golf
I'm coming in on the Big Bird on Friday the 5th (unless they offer a nice bump). Planning a day to trip to Kauai on Saturday, then a relatively relaxing Sun in HNL area to rest up for the trip, although I'll inevitably end up doing some sightseeing.

So if that fits anyone's plans, let me know...
I'll be in Kauai on Saturday if you want someone to sight-see with. I'll have a car.
Old Nov 7, 2006, 3:22 pm

Is anyone staying at any Hilton properties? If so, this might help you out:

$75 in Hilton certs for $35
(Beware of the T&C, though. i.e. One cert per night, only good at restaurants if you are a hotel guest, etc.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.