DC-10 Retirement DO - HNL 1/7/07

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DC-10 Retirement DO - HNL 1/7/07

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2006, 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by slippahs
Well I'm all ears for suggestions on restaurant locations. A quick thread on the Hawaii forum also wouldn't hurt, SchmutzigMSP.
Aren't you the local with the expertise and whatnot?

What thread would need to be created? Restaurant suggestions? I guess I'm mainly interested if people in-town for this DO want to DO something both nights. If so, I'll plan accordingly.
Old Nov 22, 2006, 8:43 am

Restaurant suggestion thread is over here in the Hawai'i forum.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=627873
Old Nov 23, 2006, 4:30 pm

Programs: DL DM,Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by SchmutzigMSP
Do we want to officially plan to do something Friday and Saturday evening? If so, I can make arrangements with my inter-island carrier of choice to lock in the lowest available price, and also make arrangements for HNL accomodations.
Great idea for a pre-flight get together. We're arriving Jan 3rd, so either date works for us.

Since this is a retirement flight, perhaps faux gold watches in addition to the t-shirts would be in order. Count us in on helping out with t-shirts for the crew.

SchmutzigMSP, you mentioned a SCUBA outing in an earlier posting. Not sure how the logistics would work out as we're staying at the JW Ihilani Resort, but I would be interested in hooking up for a dive trip.

Last edited by dw8146; Nov 23, 2006 at 7:48 pm
Old Nov 25, 2006, 8:20 pm

Not sure if I'd be interested in a SCUBA trip or not since I don't really know yet when I'd be in the islands. Perhaps more discussion on the topic later.

In other news, I am now confirmed in F. 1G to be exact, which is between RC and thezipper as I understand it. However, my companionship for this flight is up for auction to the highest bidder.

I do wish the others in Y luck getting up to the front. Sorry to leave like that, but I decided that if I was going all the way out there for this flight, I was going to do it in F.
Old Nov 25, 2006, 8:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
In other news, I am now confirmed in F. 1G to be exact, which is between RC and thezipper as I understand it. However, my companionship for this flight is up for auction to the highest bidder.
I've updated the base post ... now @ 13 F, 4 Y
Old Nov 25, 2006, 8:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
If you don't mind me asking, how'd you get up front?

Did NW pull some strings for you or did you end up coughing up the add'l miles?
Old Nov 25, 2006, 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by MikeMpls
I've updated the base post ... now @ 13 F, 4 Y
I see you didn't make a note by my seat number that my companionship is up for auction.

No, I don't mind slippahs: I coughed up the amount needed. I am normally about as frugal as you get when it comes to redeeming miles, but I thought this was a special case and was able to convince myself to upgrade in a session of self-rationalization this morning while cruising through southern Indiana. I figured I'd kick myself later if I decided to upgrade and there were no more seats.
Old Nov 25, 2006, 9:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
I see you didn't make a note by my seat number that my companionship is up for auction. :
I plan to use you as a footrest, why would I want to auction you off?

Seating chart shows only 7 F seats left, which also means that we outnumber non-FT'ers 2:1 (or 13:6 if you're anal compulsive).
Old Nov 25, 2006, 10:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Availability for NW 98 is now B9 F0 H9 K0 L0 M9 P5 Q9 T0 V1 Y9

Q9 V1 suggests it might be worthwhile for a fence sitter to keep trying to snare a standard (PerkSaver) Y seat, esp. since SchmutzipMSP just gave one up.
Old Nov 25, 2006, 10:34 pm

Location: District of Columbia, Maryland- AA 2M Life Platinum, UA 1K, TK Gold, BA Silver, IC RA, Fairmont/Marriott Platinum, SPG/Hilton/Omni Gold, Wynn/Makers Mark Ambassador, Hertz Presidents Circle, Avis Chairmans, National Executive
Anybody get a chance to see USA Today article in Money section? They had article about DC-10 retirement. It was from Wednesday, November 22 and made for a great read.
Old Nov 25, 2006, 11:46 pm

Programs: Non-Affiliated
I coughed up the amount needed.
Arrgghhhh!!! I wish I had the miles... No way I'll get the miles needed unless I give up my F seat on the outbound and make a few MR's.
Old Nov 28, 2006, 2:00 pm

Programs: Non-Affiliated
Well, I hate to say it, and hated to do it... but I took the plunge off this flight. My F chances were none to slimmer than none, and last flight or not, there was no way my big butt was going to sit in coach for 8 hours. I am sure whatever passanger wedged next to me is happy.

I will be on CO 12 to LAX at 9:50, so I'd still like to join into the pre-flight festivities if ya'll have me. :-:

The good news is that I am still waitlisted on this flight, so if something does open up in F, I may be joining you anyway! My personal goodbye to the WBC cabin on the DC10 will be on JAN 1st if something doesn't open up on the return, and if NWA or mother nature doesn't screw up my DTW-MSP flight on the 1st.
Old Nov 28, 2006, 3:41 pm

Any further thoughts on Friday/Saturday evening activities? There was the thread over in the Hawai'i forum about restaurant suggestions, but that seems to have grown stagnant.
Old Nov 30, 2006, 1:02 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
Any further thoughts on Friday/Saturday evening activities? There was the thread over in the Hawai'i forum about restaurant suggestions, but that seems to have grown stagnant.
I could be up for something on Friday, assuming my inbound 99 is on time and I'm not bumped.

Doing a day trip on Sat, so probably won't get back to HNL in time. Could also be up for brunch or something Sunday in Waikiki area, if anyone's interested.

Still agonizing over F.
Old Nov 30, 2006, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Why don't you all go for drinks at Brew Moon?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.