Search

DC-10 Retirement DO - HNL 1/7/07

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2006, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by SchmutzigMSP
Ok, I've fixed up a previous design to make it specifically for this flight and this DO. Check it out here:
http://www.cafepress.com/worldperksforum.64596512

Be sure to look at the front and back. If there's anything you think should be changed, let me know. Also, I can put designs on hats, buttons/pins, etc., so if you think we should have those as well, let me know. You can use coupon code "VOWELSENSES" to save $5 on a purchase of $20 or more, so if we make a few more items, the coupon would be a nice bonus. Coupon code expires Nov. 3rd, FYI.

Also made a hooded sweatshirt version for those of us who get a bit chilly in-flight.
http://www.cafepress.com/worldperksforum.83569557
How do you know the last -10 flight will be in NW's old colors?

Thanks for doing this. Although I won't be on that last flight, this might be good to pick up as a little souvenir.
Old Oct 29, 2006, 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by slippahs
How do you know the last -10 flight will be in NW's old colors?
When I think of the DC-10, I think of the old colors. Don't you?

If we can find out which bird will be used on the last flight, I can adjust the colors if necessary.
Old Oct 29, 2006, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

When I think of the DC-10, I think of the old colors. Don't you?

If we can find out which bird will be used on the last flight, I can adjust the colors if necessary.
You're right. I do think it's a mismatch for the -10s to be in the all-silver colors. In fact, it's rather awkward how the tail has only a little bit of red because of the silver engine.

Time permitting, could you perhaps make one with both liveries?
Old Oct 30, 2006, 2:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Mismatched livery or not, this is a good start.

How many do we need for the crew? 7 cabin, 3 cockpit? Best assortment of sizes? It might be best just to buy enough extras in our own sizes, e.g. XXL & M for the 2 of us.
Old Oct 30, 2006, 8:04 am

Time permitting, could you perhaps make one with both liveries?
I could, but CafePress only allows one item-type per store. Unless I upgrade to the "pay store" where I have to pay to have more item selection. As it stands, I can only have one t-shirt design, one hooded sweatshirt design, one long sleeve t-shirt design, etc.

Originally Posted by MikeMpls
Mismatched livery or not, this is a good start.
Any further comments, or is it good enough start ordering? I'd like to "break mine in" a little. (Yes, I'm giving YOU the final authority. ) I want to make sure we have a design that sticks so people don't buy early and then we change the design and no longer have uniformity.
Old Oct 30, 2006, 11:11 am

Programs: Non-Affiliated
I like it. Do I get a vote? Also, please keep in the loop about how I can assist with the crew ones. I would like to donate to this. Do I order an extra one or two? Do I give money to someone else? Or donations not needed/wanted?
Old Oct 30, 2006, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
They look fine to me. Let's see if anyone else has any feedback, esp. thezipper.
Old Oct 31, 2006, 10:55 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
I think they look great, and the OC go better with the museum theme.

FWIW, I spoke with a D10 captain (transitioning to Airbus) who said they'll keep two aircraft active to the last day, so we can't know which we'll get. (Yeah, could both be in one or the other).

Incidentally, he told me he's planning to be in the jumpseat.
Old Oct 31, 2006, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Being as I am in MSP and you are in HNL, perhaps we can track the flights as it gets closer to identify which specific bird will be used.

I think that painting the specific N-numbers on the shirts may be hard to do because of the size of the image. Maybe adding the N-number on the back would work, though...thoughts?

To the DO thread !
Aside from me running to the reef runway at roughly 6:30 everyday with binoculars while being chased down by the airport police, is there a better way to figure out tail numbers?

I'm set to depart on NW98 and return on NW99 of Wednesday and Sunday of next week (as my personal goodbye to the -10s), so hopefully I can catch at least two tail numbers then and paint job. Will post back here. We can also ask for the support of our fellow FT'ers who'll be flying this route within the next two 1/2 months.
Old Nov 2, 2006, 6:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SkyClub Lifer
Aside from me running to the reef runway at roughly 6:30 everyday with binoculars while being chased down by the airport police, is there a better way to figure out tail numbers?
Zoom lens.
Old Nov 2, 2006, 8:59 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
FWIW I saw 1235 and 1237 together at Minnie on Oct. 9, both in OC. Operating AMS and LGW.
Old Nov 2, 2006, 10:53 pm

Location: Alexandria, VA, USA NW Platinum Elite Since 1999, United GoldMM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz #1 Gold, IC Ambassador, Avis Chairman's
... ask someone in Ops... was told either ship #1234 or #1237

Old Nov 2, 2006, 11:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by thezipper
... ask someone in Ops... was told either ship #1234 or #1237
Thanks. So it's either:

#1234: http://www.airfleets.net/ficheapp/plane-dc10-46912.htm
(in old colors as of 10/16: http://www.airliners.net/open.file/1128730/M/ )
#1237: http://www.airfleets.net/ficheapp/plane-dc10-47844.htm
(in old colors as of 10/16: http://www.airliners.net/open.file/1130925/M/ )
Old Nov 3, 2006, 12:24 am

Programs: LanChile LanPass, SWA Rapid Rewards

So Slippahs...Are these the last 2 DC-10's in service? N234NW and N237NW?
Old Nov 3, 2006, 12:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by N24SW
So Slippahs...Are these the last 2 DC-10's in service? N234NW and N237NW?
According to thezipper, who had the opportunity to personally ask the Operations folks at Eagan (jealous by the way), these last two ships will be used until the very end (and one of which will be used on the final voyage as NW98 on January 7th).

But, according to reports contained herein, it seems that there'll be more -10s kept in service to charter flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.