Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

Does It Feel Weird to Be Called by Your FlyerTalk Name in Person?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does It Feel Weird to Be Called by Your FlyerTalk Name in Person?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2006, 7:41 pm

Programs: AA PLT and that's that!
Not at all
Old Aug 28, 2006, 4:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
How could I ever forget such a beautiful name as Tazienne, that so aptly fits its holder.
Old Aug 20, 2007, 4:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
With the summer Do season upon us, perhaps FlyerTalk monikers are more in vogue than ever?
Old Aug 20, 2007, 11:12 am

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
With the summer Do season upon us, perhaps FlyerTalk monikers are more in vogue than ever?
FT handles never go out of style!
Old Aug 20, 2007, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
I have no problem being addressed in person as BamaVol, as long as it is properly pronounced as Throat Warbler Mangrove. Otherwise, my Starbucks name is Frank and I'm comfortable with that.
Old Aug 20, 2007, 12:10 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 3MM, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by Owlchick
FT handles never go out of style!
That's because with your handle, when someone says "Who, who?" you still say "Right!"
Old Aug 20, 2007, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Once, I called one guy Larry by mistake; rather than his full name. Thing is that I should know better because Larry is the name of my brother-in-law (who always gives me a hard time about this).
Old Aug 20, 2007, 1:12 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 3MM, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by dhammer53
Once, I called one guy Larry by mistake; rather than his full name. Thing is that I should know better because Larry is the name of my brother-in-law (who always gives me a hard time about this).
Gee, who would be so petty as to let this bother them?
Old Aug 20, 2007, 8:59 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I don't mind being called princess by people at DO's because it is easy to remember. In real life I am called "The Princess" by so many people it doesn't really matter all that much to me. I have real friends who are people I originally met through FT and I know when they call me "the princess" it is a term of endearment, but they also know my real name and only call me handle as a term of endearment that makes me smile that they understand the real me.

What I do find creepy is when people come up to me at DO's and talk to me like I am their long lost best friend froom 5th grade. Just because you *think* you know someone from their posts, you are really making a big leap. I only allow a very small part of my life available online an find it creepy when people try to be my new best friend based on posts.

As far as SPIFF is concerned, he has spent the night (not that way people get your mind out the gutter!) at my house and I know he goes by his *real* name outside of FT, I always have to think about his real name. I guess this is a bit of the pot calling the kettle black.
Old Aug 20, 2007, 9:29 pm

Programs: lapsed UA 1K (now a lowly 2P), HGP Platinum
Well, no because my name is Rob.

What's funny is having it spelled "Robb" as a first name. My username is actually first name + last initial.

So, pronunciation isn't the problem, it's when I get personal email addressed that way.

Most people get it pretty quickly, though.
Old Aug 21, 2007, 12:20 am

Location: NY by birth, BNA by choice - soon YXE, the SKY by virtue.
I wouldn't know. Nobody can't pronounce it to begin with!

If I'd have known I was going to meet as many FTers as I already have (and will continue to do), I would have used something closer to my given name than the screen name I've used for damn near everything since middle school.
Old Aug 21, 2007, 11:51 am

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by meducate
That's because with your handle, when someone says "Who, who?" you still say "Right!"
Whaat? I mean, Whoo?

In other venues where I use the same handle, it does kind of bother me when folks shorten it to "Owl." It looks so odd when I see stuff like, "I hope Owl can fix this" or "What do you think, Owl?" Seems kind of weird to shorten a nickname.

prncess674 ... that made me chuckle, because I call him "Mr. Spiff" instead of his real name and I'm not entirely sure why I appended the Mister.

Apparently I have no trouble making a nickname longer as opposed to shorter!
Old Aug 21, 2007, 2:52 pm
In memoriam

Programs: UA, US, AS, Marriott, Radisson, Hilton
Originally Posted by Owlchick
prncess674 ... that made me chuckle, because I call him "Mr. Spiff" instead of his real name and I'm not entirely sure why I appended the Mister.
To me prncess is always a princess, and Spiff is always Spiff. My sweetie
(not a Flyertalker) knows Spiff as Spiff and doesn't know his street name.
Old Aug 21, 2007, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not at all for me, as long as it's just "lucky." Heck, I'd say that's what most people call me anyway in person from FT...
Old Aug 21, 2007, 3:52 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

not at all.. I'm quite used to it.

However, I don't think I'd automatically respond to my FT name if someone was in distress..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.