Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

Does It Feel Weird to Be Called by Your FlyerTalk Name in Person?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does It Feel Weird to Be Called by Your FlyerTalk Name in Person?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2006, 10:09 am

I'd second the thoughts on using handles until such time as meeting, and then referring by real names thereafter. It just feels plain odd to refer to someone in person by their handle - I'd much rather refer to "Mike" or "Bob" or "Alex" or "Anne" once I've met someone.

As for using "real names" on posts - I started off signing off on posts with my real name, but then stopped, primarily as I realised that the world wasn't that large, and a degree of anonimity wasn't a bad thing. But again, once you've met someone face to face, it's easier to build up that level of trust.
Old Aug 21, 2006, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
It's only weird when my own relatives start refering to me by my FT name.
Old Aug 21, 2006, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, Delta Plat
Originally Posted by ElmhurstNick
It's only weird when my own relatives start refering to me by my FT name.
But aren't all your relatives named Nick?

I've had Redbeard as a nickname for awhile, and some people call me RB as an even shortened version. I'm fine either way.
Old Aug 21, 2006, 11:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Us YEG FTers occasionally have get togethers at one watering hole and have gotten to most other AC forum regular participants names, but occasionally a newer member comes out and calls a few by their FT handle. Ain't too big a deal but it does cause a few double takes.
Old Aug 21, 2006, 1:18 pm

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by redbeard911
But aren't all your relatives named Nick?
I bet there is a George or three.

I'm used to being called ILP - or just "Luv."
Old Aug 21, 2006, 2:28 pm
Commander Catcop

Really don't care what name I'm called under as long as it's not filled with other nasty words that I will not post in this "family oriented" forum.

I have been called by both my given name (Mark) and my Flyertalk name (Catman) since I joined this board.

Being referred to by my Flyertalk name helps since I do hang out a lot with another long time well-respected Flyertalker who has the first given name as mine. It's just easier for me to be called "Catman."

Most Flyertalkers call me "Catman." Sometimes I hear the name "Catman" called in an airport terminal or some other place and I tend to ignore it. If I hear "Mark" I'll stop and check who's calling.

Most of my non-FT friends vary on what they call me, although it's cute for one of my bestest friends two daughters to call me "Uncle Catman."

I have a cat sitting business and I sign "Catman" and my given name although the clients prefer to call me "Mark" or "Uncle Mark." The cat clients just call me "Mr. Meow"

I do have two very long time and bestest friends who will only call me by "Mark" saying "I knew you as Mark before this Flyertalk thing and Mark you shall be."
Old Aug 21, 2006, 3:28 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock

Some will still address folk by their handles (does anyone call Spiff anything else? )

I'm just fine with going by Spiff.
Old Aug 21, 2006, 4:41 pm

Programs: Everything and everywhere. Officially a nomad
This is a great thread. I've been to only 1 Do (hoping to rectify that this year), and was called both my real name and my FT handle that evening. I happily answered to both. Since I live in a very small town I'm happy to maintain a degree on anonymity online. I think Sweet Willie is the only FTer who actually remembers my name
Old Aug 21, 2006, 4:49 pm

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by Spiff

I'm just fine with going by Spiff.
A guy I knew in high school was just fine being called that as well. Honestly, I can't remember his real name, but just remember him as Spiff if I see a picture of him.
Old Aug 21, 2006, 5:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Lifetime Gold (current Platinum), Hilton Diamond
I love the word "java" and have been a javachik online since 1992, through many different online forums. I have close friends (offline now, whom I met online) who still call me java. Do a CC trade with me, or meet me at a DO, and you'll know my real name. My "real" name is too unusual for me to use it online; my privacy is important to me. Oh, many ask if it's Sun Java, the islands, or the coffee that lead to my name. It's the coffee. There are two things I am certain I will love until I die: the San Francisco Giants and dark roast coffee.

Some of you, like Sharon (Ski), I always think of as "Sharon" because you use it in your sig. Others of you (for example VPescado) I've met at a DO, and I still think of you as your handle because it fits so well.
Old Aug 21, 2006, 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by Marysunshine
As mentioned above, I never realized when I signed up that my username would be used this way. The first time I met flyertalkers in person was at a Freddie's Award dinner. I can still remember Analise and then GoinAway saying their FT names as an introduction and I was taken aback. The next day, many FTs were streaming into my house and as each one approached, they spoke their FT handle. I had no idea what they were saying...my mind making no sense of the words they spoke. It was quite an awakening and I am still not comfortable being called by my username.
I think we actually met at the sinks in the ladies room at the Freddies too so talk about awkward.
Old Aug 21, 2006, 7:09 pm

Programs: AA Plat UA Premier
At a Chicago Do we got down to real names quite quickly. I did have a good time.....
Old Aug 21, 2006, 7:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: Ephesians 4:31-32
As Efrem has accurately stated, I have been called Punki my entire life. I didn't even realize I had another name until I went to kindergarden, so Punki sounds perfectly natural to me.

Our good FT friend, dgolds, hung the Hunki handle on Hunki years ago when we were at a FT party in SFO. He was complaining that he couldn't post because he couldn't think of a handle, and, if I recall correctly, the choices he was given were Hunki and Flunki, or something like that. So Hunki was the lesser of the evils.

In real life he goes by Joe.
Old Aug 21, 2006, 9:53 pm

Programs: Inventor of the "Eskimojito" featuring Canadian Mint/Buquebus Rowing Team
At FT events, when people call me by my real name it sounds kind of weird, somehow.
Old Aug 21, 2006, 10:28 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Originally Posted by BoyAreMyArmsTired
At FT events, when people call me by my real name it sounds kind of weird, somehow.
With you, there are so many names to choose from...

As others have said, once I've had a chance to meet someone, first names are fine. Chat is a fine way to get to know the personalities behind the handles, by the way. Still, it's always such a pleasure to meet folks at Dos and place faces to the names.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.